mixing tyre brands

All Jaguar XE related discussions
BrianS

mixing tyre brands

Post by BrianS » Tue May 15, 2018 9:23 pm

Just been stupid and kerbed a tyre causing tyre damage so need a new one and is flat. had to get AA lift back home.

Looking for a quick replacement this week and done at home but unable to get dunlop sportmaxx - gone for a Hankook 120, obviously same specification.

I'm presuming it shouldn't make much difference having a different brand on one tyre?
XE 250PS Portfolio 67 Narvic Black, Pro system, parking pack

KevinInSuffolkUK

Re: mixing tyre brands

Post by KevinInSuffolkUK » Tue May 15, 2018 9:53 pm

It's not really a good idea to mix tyre types/ages on the same axle.
For example, look at stopping distances for this tyre test:- http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/20 ... e-Test.htm
MY18, Narvic Black, Latte/Light Oyster, Prestige Auto Petrol 200PS
Parking Pack, 10way electric seats, 4 way lumbar, Gloss Figured Ebony Veneer, 40/20/40, premium mats

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Wed May 16, 2018 11:16 am

Personally I wouldn't mix as specified by KevininSuffolk. Tyres and brakes are much cheaper than crashes. I never skimp on tyres or brakes. Nat tyres and exhausts do a mobile as do Black Circles and a few other big players so you do have a good choice if you look around.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

BrianS

Post by BrianS » Wed May 16, 2018 3:35 pm

Had the Hankook put on I can't say I notice any difference and Hankook are just as good as Dunlop. The tread looks very similar too.
The problem was getting a dunlop quick as nobody had them available. Having looked at various advice on the internet the consensus seems to be ideal to have the same but unless the tread depths are very different, having different good quality tyres shouldn't make any difference unless you are driving the tyres to their limit which i obviously don't.
Thanks for advice though.
XE 250PS Portfolio 67 Narvic Black, Pro system, parking pack

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Wed May 16, 2018 4:11 pm

Well, good luck with that but I'm sorry but having different brands of tyres on the same axle even if the patterns look the same and/or the tread depth is the same isn't a good idea.
To start with, braking adhesion on each wheel and water clearance in wet weather will not be the same.
Neither will grip be the same even at lower speeds.
I think most people understand that this shouldn't be done.
XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

ColinR

Post by ColinR » Wed May 16, 2018 4:54 pm

I agree with the never mix tyre brands per axle, especially on a performance car like the XE. The first track day I did in my MX5 was on mixed tyres. I was all over the place. The instructor told me to get off the track and come back with a decent set on. Changed to the same all round, went back and the difference was astonishing. Was like having a new car. You might be OK in the dry at slow speeds but at motorway speeds if you have to brake sharply, you could find yourself severely regretting your choice, especially in the wet.

Not worth the risk IMHO.

Petercoll

Post by Petercoll » Wed May 16, 2018 11:23 pm

XE's have extremely sophisticated suspensions, e.g. have different 'handed' suspension camber angles for different markets, besides, if in doubt, Your car's handling limits should very easily be addressed by torque vectoring , DSC, and a multitude of other safety systems, in a safe and timely manner. If the Hankook feels right on one corner, go with it. It maybe a tweak we could all discover, in my opinion. Jaguars are not to be compared with the rest, seriously !
MY 18 XE 25t r-Sport , Corris Grey with rear privacy glass, 19 inch wheels, In Control Touch Pro, larger disc brakes, Adaptive Dynamics & split rear seats.

TrevorP

Post by TrevorP » Thu May 17, 2018 8:50 am

2 basic safety rules for tyres:_

Do not mix brands on one axle

and

New tyres on the REAR.

ColinR

Post by ColinR » Thu May 17, 2018 10:18 am

An additional thing to consider here is that different brands will have different wear characteristics so although it may seem OK when all of the tyres are new(ish) as time goes by the tyres will grow further apart in terms of grip.

Domfow

Post by Domfow » Thu May 17, 2018 10:28 am

The actual compound and structure of each tyre will be different, therefore as each Tyre heats up it will expand differently the footprint will be different and the sidewalls will certainly behave differently under cornering and brake forces, if the mix tyres are on the driven axle be prepared for one to grip and one to break away as their adhesion points will be different
Jaguar XE Portfolio 163ps manual Bluefire with Oyster leather, extras: xenon, reverse camera, heated screen, upgrade matts, dim mirrors

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”