Annoying Rattle Resolved

All Jaguar XE related discussions
Bazzamf

Annoying Rattle Resolved

Post by Bazzamf » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:26 pm

I've had a small annoying rattle since I have had the car. It only occurred when the engine was revving between 1000 and 1500 rpm. I thought it was coming from somewhere on or under the dash board. I kept touching various parts of the dash in an effort to find something loose and found nothing, so I learned to live with it and deemed it as part of the character of the car. However, yesterday evening, after reading a rattle resolution on this forum, I thought I would lift the bonnet to see if I could locate anything there. I tapped various tubes and things I could see that were close to the fire wall. After a couple of minutes I came across two small plastic tubes that rattled when I tapped them. There is a lidded area on the nearside of the car below the windscreen which these tubes disappear into. I removed the lid to see if I could see where these tubes went. All I could see was that they dropped to a lower level. I decided to try a tie wrap around both tubes as holding them in the lidded area seemed to cure the problem when I tapped the pipes again. Feeling very excited at this point, I jumped in the car and started it. I listened and listened and wow! no rattle. I could not believe it, had I finally cured it? I thought I would wait until this morning to see if I really had and I am pleased to say the remedy has cured the rattle. I'm one happy bunny.
Bazzamf - XE 200 Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black

mash101_98

Re: Annoying Rattle Resolved

Post by mash101_98 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:38 pm

Hehe nice one!

Can you come and have a look at my Fiesta's glovebox next? :lol:

BRC

Post by BRC » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:33 pm

Congratulations and I know how good you must feel. Is there any chance of a photo pointing out the offending tubes? This could help others who are likewise affected and preferably before you sell your skills to sort out any wayward Fiesta's. :)

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:20 pm

BRC wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:33 pm
Congratulations and I know how good you must feel. Is there any chance of a photo pointing out the offending tubes? This could help others who are likewise affected and preferably before you sell your skills to sort out any wayward Fiesta's. :)
I did take some photos in the hope of putting them on here, but for some reason they would not load. maybe they are too large for the system to cope with and I haven't a clue what to do about it. Any help in that direction would be welcome.

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:26 pm

mash101_98 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:38 pm
Hehe nice one!

Can you come and have a look at my Fiesta's glovebox next? :lol:
I'm very fussy where I put my fingers. ;)

BRC

Post by BRC » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:30 pm

Bazzamf wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:20 pm
BRC wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:33 pm
I did take some photos in the hope of putting them on here, but for some reason they would not load. maybe they are too large for the system to cope with and I haven't a clue what to do about it. Any help in that direction would be welcome.
Hello Bazzamf
Happy to resize the pics if you want to pm them over to me. If it works I'll credit accordingly :lol:

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:46 pm

I have had a little play and managed to make the photo smaller, so here are the offending pipes.

Rattling Pipes.jpg

BRC

Post by BRC » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:14 am

Many thanks Bazzamf, I'll go take a look later today assuming it stops raining long enough. I'm not aware I have the problem you described but for future reference that pic could be very useful.

Nickhester

Post by Nickhester » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:25 pm

I have a similar sounding rattle - I shall be looking for those pipes and will report back! Thanks Bazzamf!
XE S - 380 - Carpathian Grey - Panoramic Roof - 20 inch propellers

JiggyJag

Post by JiggyJag » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:46 pm

Bass, the pipes on mine have a clamp securing both pipes before they enter the enclosed area - is yours not the same ?
Curr: MY18 XE Portfolio 250 RWD, Loire blue / Oyster, parking pack, folding mirrors, spare wheel, splash guards
Prev: MY17 XE Prestige 180 Auto, Odyssey red / Latte, parking pack, heated screen, pano roof, folding mirrors, spare wheel, splash guards

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”