Am I doing this wrong?

All Jaguar XE related discussions
jamesg

Am I doing this wrong?

Post by jamesg » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:17 pm

Sorry for the cryptic title but I couldn’t think of another way to phrase it :(

I’m in day 2 of my XE ownership. Tonight my wife wanted to go out on her bike but it had a flat tyre, no problem I’ve got a pump in the boot.
I don’t have a spare so it’s one of those can/compressor jobs. The boot floor cover has a fold down the middle and a ‘handle’ so I pull up the first half of the cover and no compressor, it must be at the back. But here’s the problem there is no way to fold up the floor to gain access to the back of the the polystyrene holder so I had to take the whole boot cover out of the car ? Surely not?
So, is there a trick to this?

James

DavidW

Re: Am I doing this wrong?

Post by DavidW » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:45 pm

On my XE, and the current car an XF, the compressor is under the first half of the cover in a cut out in the polystyrene in front of the battery, so no need to remove the whole floor.

Cheers,

David
Current XF RSport 180 MY19 in Corris Grey (no heated steering wheel :o )

Previous XE R-Sport 180 (MY 16) in Odyssey Red, cold climate pack, rear parking camera, wifi hotspot, electric seats, splash guards and a detachable tow bar

capese21

Post by capese21 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:00 pm

Same here pull the tab and the pump is right there at the front. Is yours a face lift maybe it has changed??
Not sure it is intended to be used willy-nilly more for when you have a flat in an emergency.
XE Indus Silver 2.0L Ford engine Heated front screen Reverse camera Blind spot warning.

jamesg

Post by jamesg » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:55 pm

It’s the facelift model and the compressor is definitely at the back. There are empty recesses at the front - only a bottle of leather cleaner and the locking wheel nut are in the front.
I’ll take a photo tomorrow.

fraser

Post by fraser » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:52 pm

Best to convert to a space saver spare wheel and keep the compressor at home for your bikes ! OK it does reduce the boot space a bit, as the new floor is about an inch higher, but you then know you will be able to get on your way after a short interval. With these pump-up things, you have no certainty at all. My Son-in-Law Elect has twice had side wall damage to a tyre that is totally unsuitable for the pump-up devices.

jamesg

Post by jamesg » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:32 pm

Okay, I finally got round to taking a photo :idea:
As can be seen the pump and gunk can are at the back of the container near the battery. Strangely there is plenty of space at the front, so first thing is to buy another pump. Incidentally the recess in the middle is very deep.

DEBBC493-D1B5-4391-B3CD-4F8BABC14791.jpeg

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:43 pm

It might be an idea to have details of vehicles in signatures as people seeing that may well get confused.
It looks like the "MK2" is very different from the MK 1 as the battery has moved a fair bit.
If you take the styrofoam tray out you may well find the spare wheel well underneath hence the deep recess.
Handy for secret storage though....... :D
MY20 RR Evoque P300 HSE.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:16 pm

Looks to me like the polystyrene container will lift out and fit in the front recess?
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”