I am absolutely gutted

All Jaguar XE related discussions
spritely

Re: I am absolutely gutted

Post by spritely » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:33 am

Thank you all for your kind messages - still in a bit of shock here, but very glad that this did not happen somewhere a lot more busy. That does not bear thinking about.
Simpler - good point, maybe I could have hit the accelerator by mistake - but make the same mistake twice in a row??? Don't know what to think.

Mark
Corris Grey 180D R sport - loving it.

spritely

Post by spritely » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:10 pm

An update for you all.
After nearly six weeks, my car will be returning to me tomorrow. A full diagnostic scan was done and no apparent faults found - so it would seem that I alone caused this accident to happen. I will just have to accept it and move on, although I am still totally baffled as to how it happened. Here's hoping the repairs are good. I think I will go on a refresher driving course to help regain some more confidence in my driving. I will at least be very happy to have my pride and joy back. Just need to put this nightmare behind me now.

Thanks all.
Mark

dolphinfreindly

Post by dolphinfreindly » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:19 pm

Glad to hear it's coming back, give her a good once over and don't sign it off until you are 100% happy.

spritely

Post by spritely » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:40 pm

dolphinfreindly wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:19 pm
Glad to hear it's coming back, give her a good once over and don't sign it off until you are 100% happy.
I most certainly will be checking very carefully, and there is no way I will sign anything unless I am happy with it. we will see tomorrow. Obviously concerned about paint finish etc, but I won't put the cart before the horse. Will report back tomorrow.

Thanks for your post.

Mark

Dendip

Post by Dendip » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:32 pm

Oh poor you! Glad nobody was hurt. Years ago I parallel parked my Citroen Xantia Auto, left it for a while. When I returned there was plenty of space behind me but I just need a little more clearance in front to pull out. I selected reverse and instantly it flew backwards, there wasn't time for me have touched the accelerator. I stamped on the brakes and thankfully that was the end of the issue. No explanation or ideas from Citroen and it never happened again. Hope your story has a happy ending.
XES 340. IRR with Black/White interior. Previous: S Type SE and XF Portfolio. All a delight to own!

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:07 pm

There is a possible explanation for this.... the reason your foot has to be on the brake when selecting gears is twofold, firstly to ensure the car can’t move before you are ready for it to do so and secondly to operate the switch that allows you to select the gear. If the switch has come loose or moved for some reason, it may be possible to operate it without having your foot firmly enough on the brake to stop the car moving. Even without acceleration, if you select a gear in any car (auto or manual) without a clutch being engaged and with the engine running the car will leap forwards (or backwards). So always make sure your foot is firmly on the brake before selecting a gear.
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

spritely

Post by spritely » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:22 pm

Dendip, indianajons,
Thanks for your input guys - I am still very peturbed at what happened and still maintain it was certainly not of my doing , at least not completely my fault. The worrying thing for me is that on return of my vehicle I asked for all paperwork of what had been done/checked - I have only received a document from Greens Jaguar in Haverfordwest that a full diagnostic was done, and no fault found - no details.
I also understand that there is a black box type of device fitted to these cars that can tell how many revs on the throttle etc. I would very much like to know if this information was accessed, and if so what it showed, as otherwise I will never understand going forward what really happened, and in that sense won't get closure. Particularly as the whole car shuddered when I put it in too reverse - which seems to corroborate what india said above.

Think I will be asking for further information as above as I still have disquiet in my mind. The only good thing is I went for a drive yesterday when the car came back, and I immediately felt at home and quite normal driving the Jag.

Dendip - Just goes to show that these cars can go out of control - either driver error or otherwise, but as you said thank God nobody was injured. I cannot begin to imagine what could have happened if the circumstances had been different - I could have seriously injured or killed someone.

Lastly, at least the repairs seem to be spot on as far as I can see, and she looks as lovely as she ever did. Hopefully onwards and upwards as they say.

Mark

BOBCDP

Post by BOBCDP » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:23 pm

Pleased to hear you have your car back and everything is ok.
MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,

spritely

Post by spritely » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:04 pm

BOBCDP wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:23 pm
Pleased to hear you have your car back and everything is ok.
Thanks Bob.

Mark

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”