Jaguar XE Forum banner

Object in road

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Indianajons 
#1 ·
I was on the M6 yesterday approaching Penrith. There were lines of lorries in both lane 1 and lane 2, so I was in lane 3 overtaking them at about 70mph.
Suddenly a car was visible at an odd angle in the centre reservation and, worse, there was a black object right in the middle of lane 3. With the lorries in lanes 1 & 2 I had no option but to line up the middle of the car with the object and drive over it, hoping for the best. There was a rather worrying bang from underneath the car and, looking in the rear view mirror, the black object was now in bits flying around.
I stopped at the next services (which luckily were quite close) to examine the damage. All I could see was a minor scrape on the front undertray and a smallish dent in the exhaust pipe where it makes a curve before entering the middle silencer. Today I've had the car up on axle stands to take a better look and confirmed this as the only damage.
Phew....a lucky escape! If the object in the road had been any taller, much more damage might have been caused. I'm not sure what it was, but presumably it had come off the car in the centre reservation....unless that car had ended up there trying to avoid it?

#3 ·
I have had two such incidents over the years - one was a fallen over temporary speed sign in the outside lane that I went over at 70 mph and the other was a huge flatbed carrying spherical tanks and round lids made of some form of plastic. A lid blew off the flatbed and landed directly in front of me - I drove over it and it immediately split into hundreds of pieces across all lanes (yes - I had time to glance the rear view mirror). The driver of the flatbed noticed nothing but would have arrived with a lid (or perhaps two) missing. The tanks were huge and the lids were about 5 feet across. Glad you're OK as incidents like that are a bit scary...

#4 ·
Worst I've had was a bike flying off a roof rack…. still not sure how I missed it and the lorry behind me flattened it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.