Jaguar XE Forum banner

Service charges again

13K views 56 replies 23 participants last post by  Kushanku 
#1 ·
I have just been quoted £160 / Hr from a Jaguar dealer for servicing. A service plan of 2 services £900 which includes all drive belts??? The major service will include sump pan change???? A later service will be over £1700 to inc a gearbox oil change. I am sure that she had the service manual for a Hawk T2 trainer jet.
Now I am totally confused as to what the hell constitutes a Jaguar service and the interval time I think I will most definitley be donning the flying suit again. :D Much easier to service a jet. :roll: :D

#2 ·
How on earth can they justify £160/hr.? I work for a precision engineering company and are often accused of being expensive at £60/hr and I bet our expenditure on electricity, machinery etc is a lot higher than at a Jaguar dealers!

Reactions: geoffjones889
#3 ·
These posh service centres, customer greeters (blockers) and coffee machines don't pay for themselves you know.
£160ph is relatively cheap - some charge £200 or £210ph.
Finding a really good local Indy is a wise move and in my experience your car is in better hands - the technician at mine even contributed to the book Jaguar F-Type The Complete Story.

Reactions: Gaz 1962
#4 ·
Is "NW" North Wales, or North West ? Reason I ask is because there are a couple of good indies in the North West. There is also the North Wales Jag Centre in Llandudno.
https://www.northwalesjag.co.uk/
I have used this independent in Macclesfield who are very good.
https://www.hornerandhudsons.co.uk/
My car is currently being maintained at Swansway Jaguar who charge £120/hour which is about the average, I would think for a main agent of any up-market make these days. I am surprised to see £160/h outside London, I have to say.

#5 ·
It seems to me dealers are ripping people off with every single trick they can get away with, because they have very few other sources of income at present.

#6 ·
fraser said:
Is "NW" North Wales, or North West ? Reason I ask is because there are a couple of good indies in the North West. There is also the North Wales Jag Centre in Llandudno.
https://www.northwalesjag.co.uk/
I have used this independent in Macclesfield who are very good.
https://www.hornerandhudsons.co.uk/
My car is currently being maintained at Swansway Jaguar who charge £120/hour which is about the average, I would think for a main agent of any up-market make these days. I am surprised to see £160/h outside London, I have to say.
North West. It was Swansway who quoted me and the female seemed to be floundering with service schedules and prices.

#9 ·
My four year old XE has just had an oil and filter change, a safety check and valet for £150 at my main dealer. This was a special offer by Jag, which expires at the end of the month. It's the sort of thing Jag should offer all the time. As usual they did offer other services at additional cost, but the oil and filter change was all I wanted, especially as I only have 25k on the clock.

#11 ·
Bazzamf said:
My four year old XE has just had an oil and filter change, a safety check and valet for £150 at my main dealer. This was a special offer by Jag, which expires at the end of the month. It's the sort of thing Jag should offer all the time. As usual they did offer other services at additional cost, but the oil and filter change was all I wanted, especially as I only have 25k on the clock.
I saw that and it winds me up they can do it for a reasonable costs as a "post lock down check" but not record it on the service history!

#13 ·
Why are they recommending a sump pan change for heaven's sake? I've never heard of that being required for ANY car at ANY mileage (unless of course it's got a hole in it through hitting a road object).
This is surely a try-on by the dealership. Jaguar really should get their dealerships into line and stop this sort of outrageous profiteering.

#14 ·
I have to be honest here that I personally thought that the person I spoke to had the knowledge of a car consisting of it has 4 wheels. Flitting from screen to screen and then finally as I said "Thank you for your help" the phone was slammed down at their end with no goodbye or FO :eek: . If the diesel has generally gone to annual service, could someone confirm this with JLR official back up. All my service sheets show 2 yearly intervals. Luckily I have had interim annual oil changes.
The Hawk T2's will be flying again today. :D

#15 ·
I think you would find that the "sump pan change" referred to would be the gearbox sump pan, it has to be changed when doing an auto box oil change as it comes complete with an integral filter.

#16 ·
You are right and that is 91000 miles away and irrelevant to the original query if it does come at 110000 miles. I have checked all the listed services and the over 100000 miles doesn't mention it either in the general list or the options. Perhaps Jaguar have another service list that is not known to Joe Bloggs, the customer. By the time the car gets to that mileage I will either be dead and buried or have sold the car and ended up in a nursing home having my 100th birthday party. :lol:

#17 ·
Just as a heads-up....my OSH had gotten a little bit out of whack with reality (long story). Bottom line is CRC have now listed a oil and filter change by independent as a "Arduous interim service", so there's no reason that can't be used to record non-interval services.

#18 ·
Thank you Rojo for that info. I think annual oil changes do no harm. Going back to the days when cars were simple without computers etc I did oil changes about 4x a year. Price for a gallon of GTX or Duckhams Q was 19/11d petrol was 5/- a gallon. My XE will get the annual oil and filter change treatment by me anyway.

#20 ·
I have now approached another dealer regarding servicing costs. As Diana Ross says, "I'm still waiting". I also cotacted an independant Jaguar techy and had a reply within 10 minutes. All good prices there as well. I may have a bit of a journey to there (more awkward than long) but he is way out front for my business.

#21 ·
Fighterpilot said:
By the time the car gets to that mileage I will either be dead and buried or have sold the car and ended up in a nursing home having my 100th birthday party. :lol:
When I am 100, I plan on being shot by a jealous 30-something husband or a glowing brain under a clear dome that will live forever betting a thousand Quatloos on the Vulcan :)

Reactions: geoffjones889
#22 ·
An update. I emailed yet another Jaguar dealer who are supposed to be offering to take over the care of my XE after Rybrook Warrington stopped doing Jaguar and so far no response whatsoever. Now if I go to their showrooms and express an interest in a new car they will be on me like flies on s**t. Tomorrow I am going to look at these places and see what happens. Then a trip to TRUSTPILOT for rating and a few posts on Twitter. :mrgreen:

#23 ·
UPDATE..
Contact at last with all my details known inc phone number. Many apologies and an idea of servicing prices based on todays going rate. It's obvious that they have been in Les Dawson's joke book at £590 inc 15% discount. :lol: It appears that these dealers ie larger ones, have either a call centre or pooled email system. It's only when Trustpilot get my review showing that I get an answer. A sad way of dealing with customers. Probably typical of all industries now using Covid as an excuse for bad service. I recently had my boiler serviced in May and have since had two reminder letters to book a service. At one point I was just going to book another as I could not contact BG by phone, live chat, or email. Why call it a service dept when the service is only half hearted. I've been spoilt in the past having Rovers and MG's and this XE from when I bought it from Rybrook and it's predecessor's owners. I have dealt with most chaps there from at least 1984 from those I remember in Austin days to several still there in Jaguar days.

#25 ·
Jeff123 said:
Don't pay that type of money for a 6 year old car.
No I am not. I will go back to doing my own and just take my time. I will plug in the heated Zimmer frame to get up and down. I am more than capable of servicing the car myself and have a vast array of tools from BA, UNF, Whitworth and metric. All I need is a good OBD scanner, that clears faults. :D

#26 ·
Fighterpilot said:
Jeff123 said:
Don't pay that type of money for a 6 year old car.
No I am not. I will go back to doing my own and just take my time. I will plug in the heated Zimmer frame to get up and down. I am more than capable of servicing the car myself and have a vast array of tools from BA, UNF, Whitworth and metric. All I need is a good OBD scanner, that clears faults. :D
How do you change the oil? From sump bolt or from top? I ask because last time when change oil few weeks ago I extracted from top and curious if anybody else use this method.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.