DPF Clogging

All Jaguar XE related discussions
LeeW

DPF Clogging

Post by LeeW » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:41 pm

A subject of much general debate on the internet which having read has now worried me! I have a 180 diesel on order due soon. I do mainly urban driving, some short journeys and irregular long motorway trips, about 7k a year total miles. Before anyone asks why I didn't go for petrol, there were 2 good reasons. 1. I wanted a manual 2. The diesel through my company scheme was massively cheaper than the petrol auto.

So, I have read jag have done something clever with the ingenium engine to reduce build up that clogs the DPF. But does anyone have experience/advice to keep it clean? I've read about driving 20 mins over 45 mph at constant speed does the passive clean and the ecu will do an active one? Also read about adding redX to the fuel tank?
180 R Sport, Glacier white, 19" silver venoms, panoramic pack, black pack, meridian, adaptive dampers, heated steering wheel, illuminated kick plates, parking pack, power boot, folding mirrors. Due October.

gsb1970

Re: DPF Clogging

Post by gsb1970 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:17 pm

For Dpfs to work the engine needs to be upto temperature. With your journeys I wouldn't worry.
IF the DPF didn't get a chance to operate under normal conditions a light will come on to advise you,then simply find a motorway or dual carriage way,leave it in 4th gear at 50mph for 10miles or so.(higher revs)

Adblue affects omissions being created in the exhaust,quite clever really.
R-sport 180D Ammonite Grey,jet-red interior.

LeeW

Post by LeeW » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:39 pm

Thanks gsb. Is adblue anything to do with helping dpf clogging or just emissions?Ever heard of or used this redX stuff?
180 R Sport, Glacier white, 19" silver venoms, panoramic pack, black pack, meridian, adaptive dampers, heated steering wheel, illuminated kick plates, parking pack, power boot, folding mirrors. Due October.

gsb1970

Post by gsb1970 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:51 pm

You won't need redex. Heard of it but never used it Lee.
Adblue is just admissions.

stever_51

Post by stever_51 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:38 pm

I don't know about Jag's DPF, or what they have done differently, but the general principle is that they collect soot and every now and they 'regenerate' , i.e. burn off the soot deposits, when the filter reaches a certain % full (usually about one third). If after that point they don't get a decent burn-up and the soot deposits build up, at some point the dpf gets so clogged that no amount of hot rodding will clear them out. That is expensive.

If Jags have some kind of 'low soot' system then that merely delays the need for a regen, and reduces rather than negates the chances of DPF failure. I have read about systems whereby fuel is injected directly into the exhaust system to raise temperatures where 'normal driving' fails to get a complete regen. At the end of it all soot is soot and a filter is nothing more than that.

If there is indeed a warning system of amber light for 'you need a regen' and red light for 'ffs get your clog down' then I would feel a whole lot more comfortable.
XE Bluefire & Light Oyster Portfolio 180 Auto Diesel, Folding Mirrors and Parking Pack

gsb1970

Post by gsb1970 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:51 pm

:ymapplause: plus 1 for the red light!! :D

A guy who is a tech for vw told me how they clear DPF filters,foot down (car stationary)until light goes off!
Seriously!

When my dad had the DPF light come on in his Peugeot I advised the same,it worked.
Peugeot quoted over £300 to 'clean' the filter.

LeeW

Post by LeeW » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:41 pm

Hopefully I'm worrying about nothing but good to know some ways of stopping it happening or what to do if I get a warning light

tobes

Post by tobes » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:23 pm

130k on a diesel with no dpf issues wouldn't even know it had cleaned unless I'd checked stats (not an option on xe).

Spent 2years with only rush hour commute never above 40 mph and the odd late night blast and even then the dpf never got anywhere near full.

If that thing I found under the bonnet is the dpf filter it's truly massive and would take some filling.
R Sport 180 Manual
Ammonite Grey
Jet - Jet with Oyster
10 x 10 FOC electric seat upgrade
Quite simply the best diesel compact exec I've ever owned

Mrxes

Post by Mrxes » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:46 am

VW Transporters have this problem. Two of my vehicles have had clogging. A run up the A1 at high revs seems to burn it off. Vehicle loses power and all sorts of lights come on. You don't half get some funny looks from other drivers though as you're screaming the engine in third at 60 :) My XF has never had a problem.
IRR XE S with black pack. 20" Propellers, Jet / red leather interior. Privacy glass. Fully loaded seats, privacy glass, blind spot monitoring, lighting pack. Reversing sensors and camera. Ordered mid July. Delivered mid November.

pajp16

Post by pajp16 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:27 pm

'65 plate XE 163. 104K miles, I acquired it at 89K miles.

According to the experts, which seem to be few and far between and very expensive to boot, the DPF clogged, failed to regenerate which caused a massive failure. This damaged both EGR valves (who knew there were 2 of the evil devices?) and some cooling feature. Also the turbo may be damaged.

The quote for spare parts was £4.5K, the value of the vehicle is about £8K. Labour wasnt even quoted as the A.A. warrantee refused to pay out. Not even for the diagnosis or recovery of the vehicle so chalk up another £500.

Since buying this vehicle 14 months ago, it has racked up 3 months in the garage. The last time because the AdBlue warning came up saying that poor quality AdBlue had been added and that I had 500 miles left before the vehicle wouldnt start. This could only be repaired by the Jaguar Gurus and turned out to be a Nox detector that had failed. Chalk up another another £1200.

I now have rather nice looking SORNed ornament on my front lawn that will never see the tarmac again.

On its last visit to Jaguar land, an engine recall mod was carried out and some exhaust setting or other was performed. Some coincidence that a couple of months after the thing detonates. But what do I know, Im not an expert and those that do know are covered by all sorts of legal jargon and denial.

On the bright side, its only 3 years of payments left before I can legally scrap it.........