Battery conditioner fitment

All Jaguar XE related discussions
ajxkr

Battery conditioner fitment

Post by ajxkr » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:27 am

Has anybody fitted a CTEC or equivalent battery charger/conditioner to their XE ?
I have fitted mine to all of my cars in the past few years and connected to the mains as soon as the car is put away in the garage.This has maintained the batteries in tip top condition throughout all of the time I have owned them.
On the XE ,the boost connections are under the bonnet with the battery in the boot.Previously I have connected the CTEC cables to the Live battery terminal and the Earth to a chassis bolt nearby,as per CTEC instructions and the proper connecting cable can then be channelled to a convenient place to connect up to the mains.However, the handbook is worded strongly that no charging or boosting should be done directly to the battery whilst it is in the car.
There has been much talk on this forum of flat batteries and I want to avoid that especially as I have the perfect conditioner already.
Any thoughts?

Thanks.

A J.
EX...1. XE S. IRR. Rejected after one day as expired on my drive.
2. XE S. Bluefire,fully loaded. Sold after 4 months due to quality issues.

robertW

Re: Battery conditioner fitment

Post by robertW » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:08 pm

Hi, Ajxkr - I think it was the dealer who fitted the charger connection socket to my boot, along with supply of the Jaguar battery conditioner.
240 Portfolio, July 2015, adaptive cruise, queue assist, advanced park, 360° cameras, folding mirrors.

R500PeteW

Post by R500PeteW » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:25 pm

I had the Jaguar battery conditioner supplied/fitted by the dealer prior to collecting my new XE RSport - 2017MY last week. The installation includes a new DIN socket in the boot, so you just have to plug it in. From the positioning, I assume it is connected direct to the battery but can't be sure of this as I also have the space saver wheel & haven't had a chance yet to have a good look around. As the car may only be used a couple of times a week for fairly short journeys, it seemed like a good idea at the time. The sales manager who had recently come from a Porsche/ Ferrari dealership told me they were pretty standard on those makes as they may only get occasional use.

Answer probably does not help you much on installation but maybe there is something on Jaguar Topix for XE or XF. Unlike the others, you can view the accessory documents for free.
Pete W

R Sport 2.0 Petrol - Polaris White, 18" Matrix Black, Jet/Red trim, Black pack plus, Adaptive Dynamics, Panoramic glass pack, Lighting pack, Parking pack, Powerfold mirrors, Split rear seat, alloy Paddles, spare wheel, InControl Touch Pro

moose

Post by moose » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:32 pm

Fitting instructions are not on Topix.

I have a CTEK as well so am interested to see if we can resolve this !

Bob
R Sport 240ps Bluefire with Templar wheels. Parking pack, blind spot monitor, heated windscreen, folding mirrors, splash guards, privacy glass.

ajxkr

Post by ajxkr » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:36 pm

It looks like the conditioner is a boot fitment,which resolves the first issue. I suspect it will be the same as my previous Jag,an XKR where the wiring goes to the battery itself and an earth closeby but not the battery itself. I will remove my spare wheel and have a good look.

ajxkr

Post by ajxkr » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:18 pm

Having checked in the boot under the spare wheel,it looks like an easy fitment for the CTEK comfort connector. The live normally goes on the battery terminal and the earth to a bolt in the boot floor. Thats just my opinion and it would be good if someone who has had a dealer fitment could have a look at where the actual connections are made.I am pretty sure the Jaguar conditioner is a CTEK rebadged.It was when I got mine.With the spare wheel removed it is easy to see all the battery wires and cables.
Thanks.
A J.

robertW

Post by robertW » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:14 pm

My Jaguar supplied charger is from CTEK, has a DIN plug (cigarette lighter size) and is labelled :

Model 1052. Designed & Developed in Sweden by CTEK SWEDEN AB
Input: 220-240VAC. 0.6A rms, 50-60Hz.
Output: 12VDC, 3.6A, 4-step charging.
240 Portfolio, July 2015, adaptive cruise, queue assist, advanced park, 360° cameras, folding mirrors.

devonia

Post by devonia » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:34 am

robertW wrote:My Jaguar supplied charger is from CTEK, has a DIN plug (cigarette lighter size) and is labelled :

Model 1052. Designed & Developed in Sweden by CTEK SWEDEN AB
Input: 220-240VAC. 0.6A rms, 50-60Hz.
Output: 12VDC, 3.6A, 4-step charging.
Have tracked down this model - it is the MXS3.6 . If you download the manual for this,it shows 1052 as the model no and MXS3.6 as charger model!!??

It has now been superseded by MXS3.8
200ps petrol prestige - glacier white - oyster - sunroof - powerfold mirrors - reversing pack- split rear seats - spare wheel
Mercedes SLC 200 sport

ajxkr

Post by ajxkr » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:09 am

My CTEK is a MXS 5.0,which was recommended by CTEK when I bought it 18 months ago and fitted it to my Jaguar XKR.I think the models differ by the number of features they have but the principle is the same.
My only concern is the actual position Jaguar dealers use to attach the comfort cables to the battery/chassis.The DIN plug referred to by robertW above is where the comfort cable can be plugged into the cable from the conditioner itself,which in my case is fixed to my garage wall and I carefully bring the cable into the boot and shut the bootlid with the cable protected by the rubber seal around the bootlid.
Hope to complete this exercise this week.
A J.

Grinder

Post by Grinder » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:49 pm

I have a CTEK MXS 3.8 that I have been using for several years with no problems. Once a week on my Jag XE I connect it as shown in the photo to the chassis earthing point and the positive point under the bonnet, feed the cable from below the car, connect up, switch on, close the bonnet and lock the car. After several hours the battery is once again full charged. That's 4 months now and no issues.
Page two in the attached CTEK instructions under Safe and Easy to Use states in the last sentence; There is no need to disconnect the battery from the vehicle when charging.
The sophisticated electronics in the charger protects the car's electronics.
PS. When I was collecting the car for the first time from the dealer he had a charger connected directly to the battery terminals in the boot without isolating the battery from the car.
Regards
Grinder

DSCF1145.JPG

MXS 3.8_EN a.pdf
(675.88 KiB) Downloaded 156 times

XE R-Sport 200, Ammonite Grey, Jet/Red interior, 19" Radiance Alloys, Split Rear Seats, Power-fold mirrors, Rear Camera, Meridian Audio.

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”