Battery conditioner fitment

All Jaguar XE related discussions
BAIKAR

Re: Battery conditioner fitment

Post by BAIKAR » Mon May 23, 2016 4:03 pm

I've had the same connector fitted for a few weeks now and on quite a few occasions noticed the amber led pulse. I use the car on a daily basis so would have expected to see the green light indicate a good charge on the battery. It certainly seems a charger is a necessity on these cars to assist the cars charging system.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Mon May 23, 2016 4:08 pm

The interesting thing is, if you sit in the car with the engine turned off (after a short drive) there are allsorts of things whirring in the background. After a while they shut down only to start up again for a shorter period after a few minutes. If this happens when the car is locked, it's no wonder the batteries lose charge. :?
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

HARRIER

Post by HARRIER » Mon May 23, 2016 4:25 pm

I used to own a Honda Legend SHAWD with all the knobs and dials exec saloon and when you turned off the ignition I was advised that to shut down all systems (it had many safety systems) takes 20 mins - and indeed it used to make these noises which you could tell were electronics shutting down. Leave the car 3 weeks and battery would be flat due to all the complex electronics - that's modern cars!
Jaguar XE 240 Petrol Sport, Glacier White, Venom Alloys, Black Pack & quite a few extras

LesW

Post by LesW » Mon May 23, 2016 4:34 pm

BAIKAR wrote:I've had the same connector fitted for a few weeks now and on quite a few occasions noticed the amber led pulse. I use the car on a daily basis so would have expected to see the green light indicate a good charge on the battery. It certainly seems a charger is a necessity on these cars to assist the cars charging system.
Glad you said that mine does the same. Wondered if there was a problem.
XE R-Sport (11 March) Polaris White, Meridian, Space saver,19 Venom, Keyless, 14 way memory, Folding seat, Black, Panoramic, Parking and Cold Pack
XE R-Sport 180 (replaced nearly everything) XF Face lift XF pre face lift X type face lift X type estate

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Wed May 25, 2016 11:42 am

Returning to this post I am now considering buying a CTek MXS5 3.8 unit. A question here is do you chaps with them, have them permanently fitted to the car or are the plugs mentioned just connections for the charger to be connected and then removed after the charge is complete. I get the idea that the chargers are always in the car and the plugs are the mains connection. If anyone can clarify it a bit more for an ageing thicko I would be grateful. Can you also tell me what lead/plug to buy and if any holders or cradles are required for the charger if permanently in the car. :?

LesW

Post by LesW » Wed May 25, 2016 11:54 am

I have a 2m extension cable (Ctek) from my comfort socket in the boot to the Ctek charger. This sits outside the car as I would not like to have anything with 240v inside the car where things could go wrong.
The extension cable for the Ctek is circa £12.
Hope this helps
XE R-Sport (11 March) Polaris White, Meridian, Space saver,19 Venom, Keyless, 14 way memory, Folding seat, Black, Panoramic, Parking and Cold Pack
XE R-Sport 180 (replaced nearly everything) XF Face lift XF pre face lift X type face lift X type estate

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Wed May 25, 2016 11:56 am

B16LWW thank you for that

colin6377

Post by colin6377 » Sun May 29, 2016 7:37 pm

B16LWW wrote:I have a 2m extension cable (Ctek) from my comfort socket in the boot to the Ctek charger. This sits outside the car as I would not like to have anything with 240v inside the car where things could go wrong.
The extension cable for the Ctek is circa £12.
Hope this helps

YUP , pretty much identical to my install!

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Mon May 30, 2016 10:02 am

Thanks for those replies I think I will stick with my Halfords managed charger

BAIKAR

Post by BAIKAR » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:47 am

B16LWW wrote:
BAIKAR wrote:I've had the same connector fitted for a few weeks now and on quite a few occasions noticed the amber led pulse. I use the car on a daily basis so would have expected to see the green light indicate a good charge on the battery. It certainly seems a charger is a necessity on these cars to assist the cars charging system.
Glad you said that mine does the same. Wondered if there was a problem.
Just a follow up to my previous post.
The comfort connector has now been in use for a number of weeks. I initially used it as a quick way to check the batteries status but have since purchased the ctek charger and extension cable.

I left the charger to run its cycle and charge the battery until it was happy. This produced a flashing green light on the comfort panel which only lasted a number of days. I noticed it slipped back to flashing Amber and on a few occasions even a flashing red. I still use the car under normal driving conditions and nearly always remember to switch off the start/stop feature.

This does not sound like a very healthy battery or car charging system to me. I fully expect to end up stuck one day with a dead battery.

I have another product by ctek that I plan to fit. It's a Bluetooth battery monitor that links to an app on my phone. It produces a graph showing the rise and fall of the batteries charge level over a period of time. I think that might be a good way to demonstrate how the charge level depletes over a number of days if left in a carpark or driveway.

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”