Battery conditioner fitment

All Jaguar XE related discussions
147daytona

Re: Battery conditioner fitment

Post by 147daytona » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:41 pm

Glad to hear you managed to get it fitted satisfactorily :D
MY20 Carpathian Grey 300 R-Dynamic HSE AWD + loads of extras!
Previous, MY17 Italian Racing Red 240 R-Sport

martind511

Post by martind511 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:08 pm

Vespa wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:12 pm
Job done. I used a cutting disk from a Dremel type tool. I carefully measured the opening outline and initially cut the template to the exact size then measured the aperture and transferred it to the face side using sticky paper strips to get the outline correct. Then using a Dremel diamond circular cutter carefully cut out the aperture keeping on the side of smaller is better and trim later. Almost perfect first time with a bit of careful trimming with the same tool I got a perfect fit. Getting the wire through to the boot floorpan proved a bit of a fiddle. I removed the fuse box/ relay cover and threaded the wires through. Try as I might I couldn't get the plastic hanger to shift at the top to release a bit more trim so I remove the solid black plastic trim at the boot lock latch "hoop" .Three screwsone on each side and one central. Then carefully prised it upwards and released it from 4 spring clips. This enabled it to be removed and give more flexibility to the side panel where I could access the wiring. Once through I connected to the boot floor and the +ve terminal quite easily. I had to removed the puncture goo kit which is held by velcro. I presume that cars with the spare wagon wheel will have to have that removed. Refit everything in reverse order and clip in the CTek panel to the plastic fitting that is in the upper area that was cut to fit it. All very neat and secure.
Thanks Vespa - finally got round to fitting this yesterday - like you I couldn't get the plastic hanger to shift so removed the boot trim as per your guide. All working although my battery was showing as red and so I fully charged the battery and this morning I was getting a yellow light. I will do a full battery recalibration next weekend to see if this improves performance.
MY 2019 Jaguar XE Landmark 25T - Santorini Black, Sunroof, 10 way electric seats, folding mirrors and split fold seats.
MY 2018 Jaguar XF Portfolio 20D Auto - Narvik Black, Tan interior, ventilated front seats, heated steering wheel (company car)

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:21 pm

Martin I have decided today to get a new Jag battery to be fitted on Wed as I am convinced mine is no longer up to the job.
180 diesel XE R Sport auto, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

Wastegate84

Post by Wastegate84 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:04 pm

Vespa wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:21 pm
Martin I have decided today to get a new Jag battery to be fitted on Wed as I am convinced mine is no longer up to the job.
That is not good. I wouldn't expect to be replacing the battery until it is at least 10-12 years old. A pal with a 51 plate 3 series only just replaced his after almost 18 years!

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:16 am

That's just me.Get p***ed off with something too quick and probably wasting money. We'll see what happens.There are so many electrical items on these cars Ithink earlier model batteries were not up to the job.
180 diesel XE R Sport auto, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

Martyn UK

Post by Martyn UK » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:30 am

Hi Vespa are you fitting uprated battery eg 90 AH.?
I had battery replaced at 12 months s/s worked for only 2 mths. but I guess it saves me turning it off!!
2020 SE P250 Firenze Red ,Light Oyster Split rear seats, spare wheel,12 way heated front seats, Cold Climate pack, Parking pack ,Powered boot lid, + clear sight rear view mirror.
Previous XEs 2015 Prestige; 2017 Portfolio both petrol 200

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:31 am

I have just had the 90Ah battery fitted and the S/S has worked everytime on the way home even with the climate on and it's +1C at present.

capese21

Post by capese21 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:51 pm

A 51 reg 3 series doesn't have s/s :roll:
XE Indus Silver 2.0L Ford engine Heated front screen Reverse camera Blind spot warning.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:37 am

capese21 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:51 pm
A 51 reg 3 series doesn't have s/s :roll:
I think wastegate was just mentioning longevity of a battery rather than referring to S/S. The 80Ah taken off mine seems fine but just not up to the job of all the electronics. It took 4 hours to charge it up when I got home as I asked for it back for other purposes. It took 10 years on my Rover before it required a new battery. The Passat was 4 years old when that started playing up (no S/S)

bob_mcn

Post by bob_mcn » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:01 am

The 'old' lead acid batteries could take a fair bit of heavy abuse and be able to run almost completely flat, but, the 'modern' AGM batteries, if run almost flat will still start a motor, but then runs the risk off buckling the plates internally, and from that point the battery is on a slow degradation. Looked after, they will last for years, but it possibly only needs one low charge and a cold start to start the decline, and that fail rate can be rapid or slow, i have had to replace batteries on my motorcycles, one because of this, (my fault) and the other (bike bought used at 12 months old) when i found out it had sat in a showroom for 4 months not being charged until i bought it, the shop didn't charge it up before starting it up and within 2 months the battery died, their comment was "Oops!", they then described the do's and don'ts of AGM batteries.
Bob McN.
Oct'16 to Oct'18: Caesium Blue, Portfolio 240, MY2017, selection of addons.
Oct'18 onwards : Caldera Red, XE 300 Sport, MY2019, bigger selection of addons
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6930&start=20#p77545