DAB Reception

All Jaguar XE related discussions
ArtySin

Re: DAB Reception

Post by ArtySin » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:11 pm

Guys,
I can tell you that this is currently a problem with DAB in many makes of car. I have an XE on order but currently have a C Class coupe which has the same issue. Occasionally the screen says "No Reception" and then sometimes "Device Unavailable". Colleagues at work get exactly the same messages on BMWs, Vauxhalls, Fords and others.

Colleague who spoke to their dealer's service department was told that it is a known issue as so many DAB stations have been placed on the frequency spectrum DAB uses. This has led to the issues that the DAB radios are having. There is apparently a fix in the works for this at the broadcast end but the BMW dealer doesn't know when it will be live.

So in a nutshell it's not your car, it's DAB itself so lets hope it'll be fixed soon.
ArtySin

Vipers

Post by Vipers » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:31 pm

Thank you for that. Let's hope it is sorted soon.
MY17 XE-S, Italian Racing Red, 20" Propeller Wheels, Jet Black Leather, InControl Touch Pro, Cold Climate Pack, Folding Mirrors, Folding Rear Seats, Black Pack, Lighting Pack, Parking Pack.

KGB XE-R

Post by KGB XE-R » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:07 pm

I am very sceptical about this being a transmission issue. I had exactly the same issue on my new XE, yet the Pure Highway in my old X-Type and the DAB in my wife's new 428 M-Sport both work perfectly well. The XE has been back to the dealer and that DAB also now works fine. They say the problem was something to do with the co-ax connections, which they swapped over - but they couldn't explain in any greater detail than that.
I also learnt that there are two DAB aerials and by default, one was switched off. There is a setting to control this. When I switched it on, it made no difference at the time, but could be one piece of the jigsaw puzzle and may be worth a try.
Keith
XE R-Sport 240, IRR, Black Pack, Templar Alloys, Meridian Audio

Vipers

Post by Vipers » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:16 pm

KGB XE-R wrote:I am very sceptical about this being a transmission issue. I had exactly the same issue on my new XE, yet the Pure Highway in my old X-Type and the DAB in my wife's new 428 M-Sport both work perfectly well. The XE has been back to the dealer and that DAB also now works fine. They say the problem was something to do with the co-ax connections, which they swapped over - but they couldn't explain in any greater detail than that.
I also learnt that there are two DAB aerials and by default, one was switched off. There is a setting to control this. When I switched it on, it made no difference at the time, but could be one piece of the jigsaw puzzle and may be worth a try.
Thank you. Can you tell me where the setting is that you went into?
MY17 XE-S, Italian Racing Red, 20" Propeller Wheels, Jet Black Leather, InControl Touch Pro, Cold Climate Pack, Folding Mirrors, Folding Rear Seats, Black Pack, Lighting Pack, Parking Pack.

moose

Post by moose » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:32 pm

I would guess

General settings > Media > Radio > DAB L band

L band is not used in this country but it could well activate a second antenna.

Bob
R Sport 240ps Bluefire with Templar wheels. Parking pack, blind spot monitor, heated windscreen, folding mirrors, splash guards, privacy glass.

KGB XE-R

Post by KGB XE-R » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:54 pm

Yep, that's the one, but I would stress that it made no difference.
Keith
XE R-Sport 240, IRR, Black Pack, Templar Alloys, Meridian Audio

Kdent

Post by Kdent » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:58 pm

New to xe ownership, dab reception is next to useless. Would like to think this is not a fault with a premium marque but other dab units I have used have no such problems. Also dab has been around long enough to iron out any transmission issues. Will try altering the l band setting and then contact dealer.

stever_51

Post by stever_51 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:42 am

Kdent wrote:New to xe ownership, dab reception is next to useless. Would like to think this is not a fault with a premium marque but other dab units I have used have no such problems. Also dab has been around long enough to iron out any transmission issues. Will try altering the l band setting and then contact dealer.
For what it's worth, I have never got anything but perfect reception. Which suggests it is not a problem with the model per se, probably more with your individual car. If your reception is so bad I suspect your only recourse is the dealership, but the good news, if you can call it that, is that it should be quite good.
XE Bluefire & Light Oyster Portfolio 180 Auto Diesel, Folding Mirrors and Parking Pack

gsb1970

Post by gsb1970 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:20 am

My car is currently back at a dealership, the dab was faultless, apart from drop outs in Valley's.
The loan xe I have is terrible,the dab and FM reception constantly drops out,songs seem to skip and stations jump!!!
R-sport 180D Ammonite Grey,jet-red interior.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:09 am

Mine is generally excellent.
But I do get the odd glitch.
The other day I was listening to my usual station and the car was saying it's got no reception!
:lol:
I just went to another DAB preset and back again and it was ok.
Also I sometimes get "skipping" in that a song will suddenly skip back or forwards by a couple of seconds.
Where I live is on the border of several transmitters so it's probably the car looking for the strongest signal for that station.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.