DAB Reception

All Jaguar XE related discussions
robertW

Re: DAB Reception

Post by robertW » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:24 pm

a slow and cautious one
240 Portfolio, July 2015, adaptive cruise, queue assist, advanced park, 360° cameras, folding mirrors.

gsb1970

Post by gsb1970 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:29 pm

:lol:
R-sport 180D Ammonite Grey,jet-red interior.

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:57 am

robertW wrote:Correction to my note last Saturday.....
I DO get traffic announcements after all on DAB, cutting over DAB from FM stations
I found the announcements option the other day and switched it on.
only took me a year .... :oops:
Don't worry I am still finding things about the car with a lot from here I must say. The VW I had last had a switch at the bottom of the centre door pillar that if pressed switched off the anti jacking alarm. One VW techie I spoke to didn't know that was there. So we all learn eventually.

robertW

Post by robertW » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:52 pm

It was only last week that I checked out that the gearbox changes up automatically whenever the revs reach maximum in manually controlled gears - I better not state the speeds produced. And I still haven't tried the sat nav or the auto parking yet.
240 Portfolio, July 2015, adaptive cruise, queue assist, advanced park, 360° cameras, folding mirrors.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:11 pm

Took me 8 months to find the piece of knicker elastic at the back of the glovebox!
:D
2019 Evoque P300 HSE, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:14 pm

robertW wrote:It was only last week that I checked out that the gearbox changes up automatically whenever the revs reach maximum in manually controlled gears - I better not state the speeds produced. And I still haven't tried the sat nav or the auto parking yet.
A little anecdote here. When I had my Rover 45 V6 with a steptronic autobox, I approached a traffic island and decided that I would go into sport mode and floor it to get away before a car coming around got near me and I had to stop. Well away it went but the accelerator pedal stuck down. Before long I was hitting 70 around (8secs or so) and the box was taking control by changing up all the time to stop over revving the engine. Panic, fetch the brown corduroys!! :lol: :lol: What had happened was that the return spring on the butterfly (throttle) had got some salt corrosion on it and stuck in the open position. The only thing I could think of was to shut off the ignition and go into neutral. Luckily I stopped but the power braking was diminished. When I opened the bonnet and saw what had caused the problem I withdrew the dipstick and dropped a drop of oil on the spring return and "clank" back into position. I contacted MG Rover immediately and spoke to a lady who then put out a warning to dealers to check the spring return was lubricated. The cause was enough salty air in the winter managed to get into the engine bay caused by my driving on the motorways, at speed, travelling around the North West to various hospitals to work. I regularly checked that when I did the underbonnet checks each week. Funny now, but not at the time.

robertW

Post by robertW » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:48 pm

PhilB wrote:Took me 8 months to find the piece of knicker elastic at the back of the glovebox!
:D
I remember those notes about your elastic - it brought up a lot of banter at the time..

robertW

Post by robertW » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:59 pm

Vespa wrote:
robertW wrote:It was only last week that I checked out that the gearbox changes up automatically whenever the revs reach maximum in manually controlled gears - I better not state the speeds produced. And I still haven't tried the sat nav or the auto parking yet.
A little anecdote here. When I had my Rover 45 V6 with a steptronic autobox, I approached a traffic island and decided that I would go into sport mode and floor it to get away before a car coming around got near me and I had to stop. Well away it went but the accelerator pedal stuck down. Before long I was hitting 70 around (8secs or so) and the box was taking control by changing up all the time to stop over revving the engine. Panic, fetch the brown corduroys!! :lol: :lol: What had happened was that the return spring on the butterfly (throttle) had got some salt corrosion on it and stuck in the open position. The only thing I could think of was to shut off the ignition and go into neutral. Luckily I stopped but the power braking was diminished. When I opened the bonnet and saw what had caused the problem I withdrew the dipstick and dropped a drop of oil on the spring return and "clank" back into position. I contacted MG Rover immediately and spoke to a lady who then put out a warning to dealers to check the spring return was lubricated. The cause was enough salty air in the winter managed to get into the engine bay caused by my driving on the motorways, at speed, travelling around the North West to various hospitals to work. I regularly checked that when I did the underbonnet checks each week. Funny now, but not at the time.
Rovers gave us loads of shocks. My Rover 2000 gearstick came unscrewed (luckily while only in 2nd gear) the clutch cost a fortune to replace as the engine had to be lifted, the vent air control lever links fell to bits behind the facia, and so on.

JiggyJag

Post by JiggyJag » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:42 pm

Just found hill start assist !
Been releasing epb and quickly moving from brake to accelerator quickly for last 1500 miles !
Noticed epb was off and car held, checked manual and there it is - doh !
Curr: MY18 XE Portfolio 250 RWD, Loire blue / Oyster, parking pack, folding mirrors, spare wheel, splash guards
Prev: MY17 XE Prestige 180 Auto, Odyssey red / Latte, parking pack, heated screen, pano roof, folding mirrors, spare wheel, splash guards

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:05 am

If you have a "normal" auto box like we have then it should hold on a hill and not roll backwards when you release the footbrake.

My last had some weird twin clutch auto thingy and on that one you pressed the brake further on a hill until "hold" came up on the dash.
You could then release the brake until driving off when the brakes came off like our Epb does.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.