Gesture boot

All Jaguar XE related discussions
Vipers

Gesture boot

Post by Vipers » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:51 pm

I have keyless entry and the button in the boot to close the boot lid. I think I should have the gesture boot feature as shown on page 15 on my user manual but it doesn't work when I try to use it. Has anyone had any problem with this feature?

Thanks.
MY17 XE-S, Italian Racing Red, 20" Propeller Wheels, Jet Black Leather, InControl Touch Pro, Cold Climate Pack, Folding Mirrors, Folding Rear Seats, Black Pack, Lighting Pack, Parking Pack.

Stephen

Re: Gesture boot

Post by Stephen » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:13 pm

Hi Vipers, as I understand from the posts on page 3 of thread viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2735&p=31213&hilit= ... oot#p31213, the gesture boot is an MY17 feature on vehicles that are equipped with the powered boot lid and keyless entry.

I have checked, and confirm that there is reference to this feature in the MY17 Digital Owners Handbook (viewable online). There is no such reference in the MY16 edition of the Handbook.
Last edited by Stephen on Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vipers

Post by Vipers » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:02 pm

Stephen wrote:Hi Vespa, as I understand from the posts on page 3 of thread viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2735&p=31213&hilit= ... oot#p31213, the gesture boot is an MY17 feature on vehicles that are equipped with the powered boot lid and keyless entry.

I have checked, and confirm that there is reference to this feature in the MY17 Digital Owners Handbook (viewable online). There is no such reference in the MY16 edition of the Handbook.
Hi Stephen
Yes my car is an MY17 model. It has the keyless entry and powered boot lid and the gesture boot is detailed in the owners handbook that came with the car. I just can't get it to work.
MY17 XE-S, Italian Racing Red, 20" Propeller Wheels, Jet Black Leather, InControl Touch Pro, Cold Climate Pack, Folding Mirrors, Folding Rear Seats, Black Pack, Lighting Pack, Parking Pack.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:51 pm

I'm reading the relevant section of the Handbook again. There is a note saying that "Certain conditions may affect the performance of the sensors, and movement beneath the bumper may not be detected....". It does not specify what such conditions might be, though.

Also, a valid smart key must be within 1.2 m of the boot and away from devices likes smartphones or laptops. The kick movement must be smooth, upwards and recogised as valid by the vehicle for the gesture boot to operate. So not quite as straightforward as using the smart key boot release button :).

Vipers

Post by Vipers » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:37 pm

Stephen wrote:I'm reading the relevant section of the Handbook again. There is a note saying that "Certain conditions may affect the performance of the sensors, and movement beneath the bumper may not be detected....". It does not specify what such conditions might be, though.

Also, a valid smart key must be within 1.2 m of the boot and away from devices likes smartphones or laptops. The kick movement must be smooth, upwards and recogised as valid by the vehicle for the gesture boot to operate. So not quite as straightforward as using the smart key boot release button :).
Both me and my wife have tried several times. Each time we've had the key in our pocket. We've stood there looking like idiots slowly kicking underneath the rear of the car in the area the handbook says the sensors are.

Vipers

Post by Vipers » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:57 pm

Gesture boot not available in the UK on the XE. I spoke to my dealer this afternoon and after some checking by them they confirmed that the gesture boot feature is not on any UK XE. The explanation about it being detailed in the handbook is because the handbook is used by multiple markets worldwide.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:02 pm

No wonder you couldn't get it to work, Vipers :). Thank you for that update, though.

Late for Tea

Post by Late for Tea » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:38 pm

... I can stop kicking the side of my caR now :p ....

Bordone

Post by Bordone » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:33 pm

Does not work in Germany as well.

I have keyless and the power boot. Kicked several times, nothing happened.

Does anyone know how the sensors should look like?

Late for Tea

Post by Late for Tea » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:10 pm

Bordone wrote:Does not work in Germany as well.

I have keyless and the power boot. Kicked several times, nothing happened.

Does anyone know how the sensors should look like?
You wouldn't be able to "see" them even if your caR was so equipped. My wife had the feature on a Ford Escape ... her company car ... and I believe this was the first offering (at least it was here in the US). The only way you'd know you had it is if it "worked". I would think you would find a reference to it on your build sheet. I have not heard of ANY XE with this feature so far. Usually if a feature does not get put on a car it will show up as "Less" whatever on the build sheet. I don't see the gesture boot even showing on my build sheet so it is sort of mysterious as to why Jag would put it in the manual.

Kind of a useless feature with the powered decklid anyway with the button on the fob. It is for soccer moms who are carrying 2 bags of groceries (one in each arm) and are not adept enough to figure out how to get the trunk open with one of the 3 options already presented to them ;) .

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”