After shopping, Alice is exhausted!

All Jaguar XE related discussions
Late for Tea

After shopping, Alice is exhausted!

Post by Late for Tea » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:42 am

Ok, last post about parts for the week. Tomorrow is just bath and wax day.

I will start by saying this post is about a weird EBay find that is an add on to my R Sport exhaust tips. I will also say that a few things have to be in place for this to go relatively well. I must also tell you I take no responsibility for the attempted duplication of this, but if you do choose to reproduce it, it should be relatively simple - it just may look a little different depending upon caR to caR variances.

Some may say what I have done is sacrilege :oops: . Positive and negative comments are welcome (as always). I think this may be polarizing. I don't really mind. I am happy with the result ... and my wife has not complained (I'm not even sure she noticed :? ) so all opinions are welcome.

Finally I would say, if you are in the market for exhaust tips for your XE you need to consider getting some of member Llowen's expertly made pieces. I believe he makes them for the plain steel exhaust tips sold in the UK and can also fabricate tips to fit over the factory polished tips like mine. Along with being about 100% better quality and 200% more consistent than Alice's new tailpipe ornaments, you won't be concerned about durability like I am with these. See Llowens offerings here:

Llowen's custom machined exhaust tips

Llowen's sale thread in the Classified Section here

For me anyway, I had some criteria that drove me in another direction. I wanted something sportier ... as my car will eventually go even further in that aesthetic. I wanted something BIGGER ... not like fart can bigger, but something that fills the opening in the valance just a little better while hopefully maintaining the sophistication of the XE. I wanted something that would completely hide the original tips while not requiring me to rip them off or weld something on (which I may do later anyway, but let's go mild for now). I wanted something with a little shape for a sportier feel and just a little pizzazz. The biggest reason I decided to roll my own is that I REALLY wanted to maintain the angle cut on the end of the tip. So, this was my rationale for not going with the proven Llowen tips.

I read this forum early on with admiration. Kudos to the guys who found the uber-cheap Skoda tips which seemed to fit the XE perfectly. They just slid on and cured one shortcoming Jag had left them with if you got the plain steel pipes. Many here seemed to yearn for the polished chrome tips that came on the S models. For this Llowen's solution was perfect.

Alice ... bless her heart. She was both blessed .. and maybe cursed from the factory. She was blessed with perfectly aligned exhaust tips in terms of the way they exit the valance. They are perfectly centered and exactly the same height ... or distance from the valance in the up / down direction. They stick out exactly the same amount rearward as well. Some would say however, she was cursed with some of the longest XE tips I have seen here in pictures or on the net. They protrude quite a bit as you can see from my stock photos below. Not really immediately noticeable in stock form, but it did affect the way this mod turned out. This will add a small amount of length to what you already have. Personally I really like the look, but YMMV.

Anyway, behold. Alices stock tips ... she is kind of like the JLo of the XE world :lol: .

... and the look from the rear. I have even seen some of the cars that Jag had used for display at auto shows that were not as centered and symmetrical as Alice's ...

Soooo, I once again dipped into the Land Rover parts bin. These babies were intended to go on a 2012 - 2016 Evoque. I'm gonna show you the sellers photos first. I had TONS of questions and a lot of worry about how these would fit. Don't ask me why I would even think it would work. For 60 bucks for the pair I could not go far wrong. I was more worried about getting them part way (or worse, all the way) on then discovering that they didn't really fit or I didn't like them. If I had to pull them off the barbs would surely leave marks on the stock tips. I asked a lot of questions, took MANY measurements before attempting to fit them, and ultimately decided to go forward with my little experiment. Sellers photos:

I took the plunge and slid them on. They actually fit perfectly ... like they were made for the job. They went on without any modification or adjustment. They take it up just a notch from the OEM 67mm OD tip to about an 86mm OD tip (at the widest point) exposed. I also had concern that you would see the back edge of the pipe, exposing the fact that they were slide on tips (not a biggie as even custom exhausts are constructed that way). Nope, no sign of that either as the 6 inch length seems to cover that up perfectly, no matter the viewing angle. A few raps with my rubber mallet and they have stayed put.

They still stick out a very even amount:

Compare this with the stock photo above. Just a little more meaty than stock without looking like a Honda Accord ...

I really like the perception of thickness with these. I think it adds to the style (and allows the stock tips to slip in between the inner and outer walls, completely hiding them) .

Ultimately my questions about durability will be answered over time. They are supposedly t304 stainless so we will see come next spring when I have to clean them up. They did arrive nicely polished without any real defects. Considering they are actually 2 pieces welded together to give the look of thickness, they at least seem to have some consistency. You can (and I did) examine the welds if you look inside the tube before you mount them It appeared to be a pretty neat and tidy job.

I think the polarizing part is the amount they extend out from the valance. Personally it says "custom exhaust" to me. I have had Eisenmenn, Remus, and some Borla on a couple domestics and they all seemed to stick out quite a bit farther than an OEM exhaust. Along with that, many of the custom BMW exhausts protrude a fair amount (some people on the BMW boards complain about it) so to me this is a similar look. I will eventually going after the shiny black painted "S" valance so that will change the look as well ... along with one additionally planned homebrewed mod that will compliment the length. The S valance is a different shape and will actually cover more of the tips. I did consider going for a set of the fancy new Akrapovic carbon fiber exhaust tips, but Alice will eventually have a few parts adorned with blue carbon kevlar (like my license plate frame) so the all black carbon fiber tips would not have been a good fit. They look very "BMW" to me to boot. For now I am happy with the look of Alice's hind end 8-) .

gsb1970

Re: After shopping, Alice is exhausted!

Post by gsb1970 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:38 am

What you using to wash her and what wax are you applying?
Can strongly,and I mean strongly recommend blackfire wet ice over fire..http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-wet-i ... e-kit.html
Also I'd put a metal sealant over those tips :D
R-sport 180D Ammonite Grey,jet-red interior.

alphakinase

Post by alphakinase » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:59 pm

Looks good. I'm guessing this adds at least 5 horsepower (per pipe of course)?

Kidding of course, but I do like the look of those tips.

Edit: moved the rest of this post to a new thread :)
2017 XE R-Sport 35t, ultimate black, 19" black venom wheels, technology package, adaptive dynamics

Late for Tea

Post by Late for Tea » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:06 pm

gsb1970 wrote:What you using to wash her and what wax are you applying?
Can strongly,and I mean strongly recommend blackfire wet ice over fire..http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-wet-i ... e-kit.html
Also I'd put a metal sealant over those tips :D
I use Autofom as a paint sealant. Not available for years now I squirreled away 1 full can that I use sparingly. It's the best thing I have ever found - I go over that with Chemical Guys Pete's 53 Black Pearl carnuba (special formulation for dark colors). I like the Chemical Guys products because they are affordable and effective. I have seen 200 USD a can waxes at Autogeek ... for me this is high end enough.

I've never used any metal sealant on stainless. I usually just keep them clean and polish them with Stahlfix as needed. If you know of something that works, that would be good ... I can't imagine it would take a lot of effort to apply ;) .

alphakinase wrote:Looks good. I'm guessing this adds at least 5 horsepower (per pipe of course)?

Kidding of course, but I do like the look of those tips.

Edit: moved the rest of this post to a new thread :)
5 horsepower plus the ability to crawl over rocks and go off-road as they are Land Rover tips ;) .

gsb1970

Post by gsb1970 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:20 pm

I use this to seal my wheel rims and exhaust tips,durability on rims was 6months through the winter!

http://www.autogeek.net/finish-kare-1000p-wax.html
R-sport 180D Ammonite Grey,jet-red interior.

CRS 123

Post by CRS 123 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:09 pm

Looks great Late for Tea!
2017 XE R-Sport V6 Storm Grey, Jet Oyster interior, Black pack, 19 inch venom black wheels, Adaptive Dynamics: AWESOME CAR! but..sold it for F-Type R lease

Radsman

Post by Radsman » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:10 pm

These exhaust tip look fantastic but are they only sourced out of China? I personally would rather get them from either the U.K. or here in the states.
Italian Racing red
3.0 L V6 340 PS SC
Gas AWD
19" black finish Venom wheels
Jet/light oyster
Satin Burl ash veneer
Black Design package
Adaptive Dynamics
Driver Asst pack
Tech pack

Late for Tea

Post by Late for Tea » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:37 pm

Radsman wrote:These exhaust tip look fantastic but are they only sourced out of China? I personally would rather get them from either the U.K. or here in the states.
As I posted up top, I was able to find one EBay seller claiming to ship from the USA. It was the same price but looked a little sketchy tho, so in the end I opted to get the parts from China.

The USA mystery seller used the exact same pictures as my seller did (he apparently copied them but may have been using them with permission ... who knows) but I'd be unsure if the actual product was the same. With the seller I used since you are using EBay and Paypal there is very little risk. The wait times are just longer but I am not sure I'd trust anyone claiming to have these here stateside unless you could see their own pictures of the actual parts you'd recieve.

If you click the "Interior Mods" link in my sig, all those parts came from China as well. Many people on here and Facebook have used these sellers with pretty good luck.

The seller I used has just lowered the price on these as well (like a week ago) ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141735584216

I did also purchase some of the wax noted above and hopefully it will help get me through the winter.

... and in doing other research, any bolt on or "grip on" tips like these will fit over our chrome tips if they are made for the Range Rover Evoque.

Radsman

Post by Radsman » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:38 pm

I'm thinking seriously of buying these exhaust tips off of eBay this coming week. Now for a crazy question, does anyone have any experience using the Duplicolor Shadow black chrome tinting system? It's a 2 step procedure of base coat then clear coat spray for any exterior/interior chromed part (wheels, bumpers, exhaust tips etc). It creates a translucent black chrome finish.
Italian Racing red
3.0 L V6 340 PS SC
Gas AWD
19" black finish Venom wheels
Jet/light oyster
Satin Burl ash veneer
Black Design package
Adaptive Dynamics
Driver Asst pack
Tech pack

Late for Tea

Post by Late for Tea » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:31 pm

Radsman wrote:I'm thinking seriously of buying these exhaust tips off of eBay this coming week. Now for a crazy question, does anyone have any experience using the Duplicolor Shadow black chrome tinting system? It's a 2 step procedure of base coat then clear coat spray for any exterior/interior chromed part (wheels, bumpers, exhaust tips etc). It creates a translucent black chrome finish.
While I am not familiar with that product, my only caution would be to see if the manufacturer has any info available on heat durability. I am sure you are not the first person to consider using it for tips. They may have something printed on the container to the effect of "not recommended for high heat applications" or even go so far as to say "not recommended for exhaust tips". Even though there is a pretty good air gap created by the design, these still do get hot.

[ edit ]

Found a thread on another forum (they are all over actually if you search "Dupli color Shadow black chrome tinting system on exhaust tips" on Google) where a member applied this and reported back 2 years later. I did find some indication that the product is supposed to resist temps up to 250 degrees F. As I suspected there are some durability issues but it may be somewhat dependent upon your local climate:

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthrea ... Pic-heavy)

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”