Autonomous Emergency Braking - any experience?

All Jaguar XE related discussions
FairlyOldGit

Autonomous Emergency Braking - any experience?

Post by FairlyOldGit » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:38 am

Has anybody had to call on the Autonomous Emergency Braking ? and if so I would
be interested to know how it worked and under what circumstances it kicked in.

ISTR that Jaguar weren't 100% that it would avoid an impact.

Richard

p.s. I have no intention of going out to test it myself !
MY17 Prestige, Petrol, 200bhp, Auto, Polaris White, Jet Taurus Leather, 17" Crux Wheels, Manual Seats,
Cold Climate Pack, Parking Pack, Power Fold Mirrors, Space Saver Spare, Split Fold Rear Seat, Cup Holder Covers

ResTech

Re: Autonomous Emergency Braking - any experience?

Post by ResTech » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:25 pm

:lol: Nope, but I've wondered the same thing. Somebody needs to test it out on a cardboard box... volunteers? Anyone?
2017 Jaguar R-Sport 35T RWD Italian Racing Red ICTPro, Comfort Pkg, Technology Pkg, Adaptive Dynamics, 20" Propeller 10 spoke wheels

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:29 pm

Only happened once to me.
Turning into a car park with over hanging bushes and the stupid car must have mistaken one for something more substantial.
Brakes banged on briefly with a graunching noise and a couple of beeps then released straight away.
I had words with it after and it's never happened again.
Stupid cat.
:D
XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

CharlesH

Post by CharlesH » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:41 pm

After the salesman explained to me how it works whilst on a test drive, I asked if he could try and run me over when we got back to the dealership.

He refused because of something to do with health and safety.
XE S - Ultimate Black - Panoramic Glass Pack - Black Pack - Advanced Parking Assistance Pack - head up display - heated/cooled seats - garage door opener

Original delivered 01/09/2015 - REJECTED
Replacement delivered 02/07/2016 - REJECTED

robertW

Post by robertW » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:53 pm

I was approaching a right turning coach in an outer lane and estimated I could easily swerve around it using the nearside lane but the AEB thought differently and applied the brakes. I continued to steer into the nearside lane with brakes juddering for a second until the way was clear.
240 Portfolio, July 2015, adaptive cruise, queue assist, advanced park, 360° cameras, folding mirrors.

FairlyOldGit

Post by FairlyOldGit » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:19 pm

Interesting comments already!

I wonder what the 'graunching' / 'juddering' on the brakes was down to ?
I assume that neither of you PhilB or robertW had any problems with brakes under normal use -
could it be some form of ABS kicking in?

Phil what sort of hammer did you use when you had words with your car? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Richard
Last edited by FairlyOldGit on Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MY17 Prestige, Petrol, 200bhp, Auto, Polaris White, Jet Taurus Leather, 17" Crux Wheels, Manual Seats,
Cold Climate Pack, Parking Pack, Power Fold Mirrors, Space Saver Spare, Split Fold Rear Seat, Cup Holder Covers

devonia

Post by devonia » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:29 pm

Juddering/graunching is indeed abs. XE hasn't done it so far, but i've had that experience in previous cars under heavy braking!
200ps petrol prestige - glacier white - oyster - sunroof - powerfold mirrors - reversing pack- split rear seats - spare wheel
Mercedes SLC 200 sport

ash

Post by ash » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:46 pm

I noticed in the manual that the system doesn't actually intend to stop for mere cardboard boxes (or, perhaps, human guinea pigs). It says it's designed specifically to detect "real vehicles, plus other certified Euro NCAP target objects".

But if the objects are targets, why stop?
Portfolio 180 with ICTPro built Sept 2016.

FairlyOldGit

Post by FairlyOldGit » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:50 pm

ash,

Overhanging Bushes must qualify as 'a certified Euro NCAP target object' judging by PhilB's experiences !

Richard

ash

Post by ash » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:51 pm

FairlyOldGit wrote:Overhanging Bushes must qualify as 'a certified Euro NCAP target object' judging by PhilB's experiences !
That would explain why it also says "It is recommended that the AEB system is switched off when driving off-road".
Portfolio 180 with ICTPro built Sept 2016.

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”