One for the audiophiles...

All Jaguar XE related discussions
Ali

One for the audiophiles...

Post by Ali » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:30 pm

This may have been covered before and feel free to point me at a relevant thread, but I'm about to order an XE-S and wondered how the various ICE installs stand up to scrutiny. I've always gone for any ICE upgrade that manufacturers offer, though they've always been Bose so tend to be far too bass led (and in an Alfa, it's just another way to create door card rattles). The best I've heard, to date, was my mum's old IS250 with a Mark Levinson.

Anyway, there seem to be three options for the satnav/ICE. A standard 380W which a lot of people on here seem to criticise for it's lack of bass. Then there would appear to be a sat nav screen upgrade with another 380W (is this the same as the basic option) and a top of the range 825W though that's quite costly.

From anyone that has upgraded to either option, how are you finding it? Is the 825W system worth the extra?

benweston

Re: One for the audiophiles...

Post by benweston » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:41 pm

Best, and most predictable, advice: go to your local dealer and try the systems out.

The 380W Meridian system is average out-of-the-box but, as discussed in other threads, it can be tweaked and also takes a while to bed in. I like bass and I run my standard 380W system a few notches from the top on bass - I certainly don't find it lacking. In fact, I think it's fabulous.

The 825W system is incredible but, to be honest, they're both stunning systems and leagues ahead of any Bose ICE system I've heard (I'm looking at you, Audi...)
Last edited by benweston on Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 Jaguar XE R-Sport 2.0T 240ps
19" Vulcans | Aluminium Paddles | Polaris White | Folding Rear Seats

Previous Jags:
2008 XF SV8
2008 XF Premium Luxury 3.0 Petrol
2006 S-Type 2.7D Sport XS
2004 X-Type 2.5 AWD Sport

Milfordman

Post by Milfordman » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:42 pm

I don't have my car yet but I believe its the 80W system that comes in for criticism. This is not an option on the XE-S. I think the best option is Incontrol Pro with 380W. I heard this at a dealers and it sonded fantastic. I am a Hi-Fi nut so know a good sound when I hear it. All personal tastes though.

Regards John
XE PRESTIGE 2.0 i4 200PS. British Racing Green, Latte Leather, Electric Seats, Folding Mirrors, Lumbar Support, Meridian 380W, Satin Burr Ash veneer, Folding Seats, 18" Alloy space saver spare wheel, Configurable mood lighting and Parking Pack.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:05 pm

The 380w Meridian on the original ICT is a brilliant bit of kit.
As others have said it needs adjusting to suit your tastes.
In the early days (don't wish to sound like an old fart here 8-) ) some had less than favourable thoughts until it became apparent it needed bedding in and driving hard to start with.
Best way was to park away from any populated areas, put a really bangin' toon on, turn the volume to 25+ get out and stand well back!
:lol:
As you are considering a new S I would opt for the ICT pro as it's the latest thing and then decide if you want 380w or early hearing loss with the 825!!!

There's another thread which talks about the ICT and ICT pro set up.
Have a look at Ash's first post here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2184&start=120
MY20 Evoque P300 HSE.
Previously: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green. 2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.

ash

Post by ash » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:08 pm

One thing to note is that there are two '380W' systems and they are maybe quite different in implementation (can't comment on how they compare sound wise).

If you study the brochure closely enough, InControl Touch comes with the "Jaguar Sound System (80W)" by default or the "Meridian Sound System (380W)" as an option. However ICT Pro comes with "Meridian Digital Sound System (380W)" by default and "Meridian Digital Surround Sound System (825W)" as an option. Note that the two 380W systems differ by the word "Digital".

If you read up on how Meridian systems work, eg. https://www.meridian-audio.com/automoti ... jaguar-xe/ then you realise what they mean by "Digital" - literally the whole signal path is digital all the way from the inputs to just before the speakers. They use digital processing to separate out the frequencies they want (effectively digital crossovers) and then use per-speaker digital amplifiers to generate custom analogue signals for each speaker. So it seems clear the ICT Pro system works this way, but with the ICT system it's not clear and it might be a more conventional design.

I'd say the "Meridian Digital Sound System (380W)" that comes standard in ICTPro is excellent (you can read my comments in another recent post in a thread called "Things I'm disappointed with"). It's at least as good, for example, as my home system which for comparison is a Cambridge Audio 650A amplifier, a 851N DAC/network streamer, and a set of Mordaunt Short speakers. I imagine the 825W surround version with Trifield is even better. I can't comment on the non-digital 380W system or the Jaguar 80W system since I've never heard them.
Portfolio 180 with ICTPro built Sept 2016.

benweston

Post by benweston » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:10 pm

I can comment on the 80W Jaguar system... it's awful.

Previous Jags:
2008 XF SV8

ash

Post by ash » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:14 pm

Here's a PDF which talks about the Meridian digital approach, albeit in a Range Rover
http://media.meridian-audio.com/datashe ... -A4-ds.pdf

ash

Post by ash » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:19 pm

The more I think about it the less I think that the "non-Digital" 380W system in ICT is all that different from the "Digital" 380W system in ICT Pro. Given Meridian's devotion to DSP-based audio I can't imagine them doing anything the conventional way! It would be interesting to know more, and of course to compare how the systems sound. I might wander past a Jaguar dealership sometime -- cars with ICT and Meridian systems are always available as testers.

benweston

Post by benweston » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:29 pm

Indeed Ash - I agree. Meridian pride themselves on their DSPs and unique audio setup so I can't imagine the systems are different. It wouldn't make any financial sense to develop separate 380W systems either.

Previous Jags:
2008 XF SV8

ash

Post by ash » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:31 pm

And if you did, why would you confuse the issue by calling them almost exactly the same name?
More likely the "Digital" in the ICTPro version is a reference to something else, like maybe the fact that it takes digital inputs via HDMI.

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”