Turn off Daytime Running Light affects front and rear?

All Jaguar XE related discussions
WeHoJagadelic90069

Turn off Daytime Running Light affects front and rear?

Post by WeHoJagadelic90069 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:47 am

Hi all,

Curious on whether anybody has elected to turn off the Daytime Running Lights on their US-model XE's? If so, does that disable the illumination of just the front headlights, or both the front and rear lights?

Reason for asking is because my US-model Prestige trim came with halogen front lights. :cry: I'm quite fond of the rear LED light pattern that is on during the day, but the joy of their appearance is counter-weighed by the ugly yellow halogen DLR's in the front. Is there a way to turn off DRL on front headlamps, while keeping the rear LED light pattern enabled during the day?

Some more background: for the US market, headlights are not configurable as an individual option. On the top flight non-R Sport trim (confusingly named Prestige, while EU equivalent is named Portfolio), the Bi-Xenon with J-blade headlamps is only obtainable as part of the Vision Package.

However, the Vision Package is laden with features that I did not want - chiefly visual and audio warning sensors left/right/front/back in every which direction that would drive me nuts every time I park my car by backing into my tight garage space or pulling up to parking spaces with a high parking bumper. I know that the front spoiler sensors, rear parking sensors, and blind spot warnings, can all be disabled. But my sales associate whom I ordered the car through misinformed me that they have to be disabled manually with each ignition. Since I seldom use the auto start-stop, I didn't want to tack on an additional 3 settings that I have to manually disable each time I turned the engine on.

I'm also looking to replace the stock H7-spec OEM low-beams with either Night Breakers of X-treme Visions. But separate from that, replacing the DLR/High beam bulb doesn't seem viable for me based on what I've gathered from the Owner's Handbook. Not only is the task complicated by having to take out both air filters on a V6 model, but more fundamentally, I can't seem to find any aftermarket H15-spec bulbs that are aesthetically pleasing.

Any input is greatly appreciated, on:
1) How I can either disable the front DLR, while retaining the rear LED f-type pattern illumination during the day
or
2) Successes you may have had installing a white H15 DLR bulb in your XE

Thanks!
2017 '35t' Prestige, 340hp, BRG, Oyster interior w/cheap grain dashboard devoid of stitching (cost saving by JLR to equip rubbish dash material on US models non-R trims, while equivalent trims in EU market has proper stitching), Venoms, July '16 Solihull

AL.

Re: Turn off Daytime Running Light affects front and rear?

Post by AL. » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:07 am

I can't really answer either of your questions, but the Prestige trim in the UK has a similar spec to yours; non-leather dashboard and halogen headlights. As with the US trim levels, Prestige sits below R Sport, but Portfolio is above R Sport. So, it has all the gadgets and more, but just doesn't have the body kit or suspension of the R Sport.
XE 240 R Sport in Caesium Blue

97obw

Post by 97obw » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Just wondering if there was a resolution found.

ColinR

Post by ColinR » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:44 am

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:26 am

I was drinking coffee when I saw that.
Some came out of my nose.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
XE S, My18, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
07/15 to 05/17: XE S British Racing Green Pics

ColinR

Post by ColinR » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:24 am

I could have gone with this instead :lol: :lol:

Bu that's more Beemer compatible :D

NewLester de Rocin

Post by NewLester de Rocin » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:13 pm

I have the Prestige trim, with the Bi-Xenon, J-blades, and the Vision Package, and I too like the F-type tribute signature LED line that is on the tail lens,… but I’m lost about what’s being discussed.

In the US Prestige model, completely separate from the yellow marker lamps or headlights or puddles or reversing lamps and rear-indicator lamps….you have your DRLs in front, and you have those provocative F-type LEDs in back.

It took a long time for DRL to become a real mandate here in the US, but now that it’s here, the US version DRL is automatically on, period (directly in response to your gearbox being in ‘D’).

To the opposite, the F-style rear LEDs never come on automatically—you have to manually activate them by activating the entire suite of “side lamps”.
Yes, the F-style rear LEDs will be on by default if you’re one of us drivers who prefers to drive with the “Auto” headlight function always switched on, but essentially that’s just you manually telling the Auto-headlight system to turn LEDs on for you,… it’s not really suggesting that the rear LEDs are wired to, or waiting for commands from, those front DRLs at any time. They are still two INDEPENDENT behaving entities in the US market XE.

So “killing” the front DRLs shouldn’t have any effect on the F-style rear LEDs, just the same way they shouldn’t affect your manual operation of the side-lamps (which the rear LEDs act as part of).

:( It almost sounds as though, if you find a way to “shut off” the DRL function, your mission is still only have accomplished. It sounds as though you’re also hoping for a way to shanghai the rear LEDs away from the side-lamp club, and rework them to (essentially) operate like DRLs. Is this correct?
1990 Corolla DX in Regata Blue; 1996 Corolla DX in Satin Granite Black;
2017 (X760) XE Prestige in British Racing Green

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”