Diesel Drumming, and getting the chop.

All Jaguar XE related discussions
phoboff

Diesel Drumming, and getting the chop.

Post by phoboff » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:56 pm

I know its only got a ratty four pot diesel but the drumming on tick over and at certain resonances has been driving me crazy. Admittedly you do not hear it so much in the cabin, but with the windows down or when smug neighbours are only too pleased to tell you- you notice it!
Over the pit the source was obvious. The fibre board under trays are joined half way down the main floor adjacent to the transmission tunnel cross brace. They are unsupported and flap in the breeze. How the car was passed for production in this state beggars belief. I am hoping to put up a video on YouTube and I have made two support brackets that pick up on the cross brace holding bolts. It gets worse, went round the back today, the edge of the boot lid is chopping in to the top surface of the bumper, and the paint on the lid edge has rubbed through to bare metal. Booked in for 5 days remedial work later next month and a partial re-spray in Firenza red, hope they can match the colour!
I havn't had a British car for many years and now I remember why. Lack of attention to detail and an attitude of let the customer finish the development work.
I have had the car two weeks, the honeymoon is definitely over.

phoboff

Further to Diesel Drumming.

Post by phoboff » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:46 pm

As promised I have now uploaded a short video to YouTube. The brackets have been made at fitted transforming 'NVH'. as they say in the trade. It was a light bulb moment :idea: I can proved a simple drawing if any body want it.
Link as follows
https:youtu.be/7nq6ZyAYqyM

Stephen

Re: Diesel Drumming, and getting the chop.

Post by Stephen » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:10 pm

Hi Phoboff,

Just to let you know that there is an official JLR fix to the bootlid clash to bumper issue. In addition to the necessary re-spray and adjustment of the bootlid / rear bumper, it involves the replacement of the rubber seal around the bootlid.

This was quite a common problem on Jaguar XE's built prior to mid-September 2016, and you'll find a couple of threads about it on here. However it is no longer being reported on cars built since the modification was introduced, as well as on those early ones that have had the fix applied.
🇬🇧 MY20: S P250 RWD; Portofino Blue and Lt Oyster Windsor Lthr Seats with Ebony/Lt Oyster interior; 16-way electric dr mem fr seat; Style 1048 wheels; Gloss Ash Burr Veneer; Heated steering wheel; 380W Meridan System; Spare wheel; Rubber mats; S20B1

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:07 am

Just merged your two threads.
If you want to add to your original topic then just reply to it rather than start a new topic on the same subject.
Thanks.
2019 Evoque P300 HSE, Carpathian Grey.
2017 XE S 380, Carpathian grey.
2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

pem

Post by pem » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:25 am

Hi

I don't really understand why people purchase a diesel car and then complain that it does not sound like a petrol engine.
Surely they had a longish test drive in the diesel version before buying it ?

how about putting a sound track of an F1 car through the sound system when driving ? :lol: :lol:

I have owned SAAB, Renault and Jaguar diesel cars for over 7 years now so am used to the ticka-ticka of the engine on tick over when cold.
The Jaguar being as quiet as any of them.

I can understand the OP being annoyed at all of the other faults, I have the clashing boot lid fault being sorted in a couple of weeks time.
R-sport 180 Diesel Auto Glacier white, jet/red leather, 19" black venoms,black pack, parking pack, climate pack, panoramic roof, privacy glass, 10 way electric seats, 4 way lumbar, powerfold mirrors with blindspot and lots more goodies

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:18 pm

Quote....
I havn't had a British car for many years and now I remember why. Lack of attention to detail and an attitude of let the customer finish the development work.
Then with respect try a VW, with inbuilt rust under the bonnet from new, a damaged wheel on delivery, oil leaks from the first service, 3 sets of rear light clusters in 3 years from new, faulty front wheel bearing at 18000 miles, rattles under the dash from new and totally indifferent service from 2 separate dealers. Sorry but other makes are just as bad if you look around. My next door neighbour has a brand new Mercedes A class AMG car. with several faults from new and now the brake claipers are rusting badly.

phoboff

Post by phoboff » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:47 pm

Loving the forum. Thanks for your observations. Yes 'Pem' I knew what I doing buying another diesel. I have a had a Volvo V70 D5 five pot, and a Chrysler 300c. with the 3.0 V6 MB diesel. The Chrysler was very refined and quiet, refinement was reminiscent of my 4.2 XJ 6 from many years ago Most passengers never knew they were in a oil burner. I sold it at 10 years old and 220,000 miles because I worried it might go wrong soon, it never did! My issue is the fact that Jaguar saw fit to leave the main floor splash guards unsecured. This in a car with an In line four cylinder engine, known to create a rotating couple effect and which sets up resonant vibration in the body structure.
Thanks 'Vesp'a for sharing your experience. Yes; VWs (and Audis) are a nightmare. How about a Golf, it had 3 new DSG gearboxes, and then VW refused of a fourth, just an offer of a dealer rebuild using a spares kit! Or the Audi A4 1.9 TDI that did not run properly immediately after its 24k Main Dealer service. They threw in a new airflow mass meter, then an ecu, then 4 injectors, then a lambda sensor (this lot totalled £4,000). What ever happened to plug in diagnostics? Still running in limp home model our village garage sorted it. They said 'oh we know that fault, the Audi trained technicians in the main dealers often just bash the engine cover on without any care and it pulls on the loom and backs the ecu connector off!
I am inclined to agree with you. The perfect car, and service network does not exist. Fingers crossed with the Baby Cat!

babysquip

Re: Further to Diesel Drumming.

Post by babysquip » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:58 pm

phoboff wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:46 pm
As promised I have now uploaded a short video to YouTube. The brackets have been made at fitted transforming 'NVH'. as they say in the trade. It was a light bulb moment :idea: I can proved a simple drawing if any body want it.
Link as follows
https:youtu.be/7nq6ZyAYqyM
Hi Nay chance you could send me a copy of the bracket drawing.

Thanks

Dazz

Wastegate84

Post by Wastegate84 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:12 pm

The diesel is a bit noisy in the XE. My previous 2.0 Golf TDI was much smoother and quieter.

Any chance you can send a video with the engine running demonstrating the noise to see if mine is similar?
2015 XE Prestige 20d 163 Bluefire

Deleted User 732

Post by Deleted User 732 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:57 am

Wastegate84 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:12 pm
The diesel is a bit noisy in the XE. My previous 2.0 Golf TDI was much smoother and quieter.

Any chance you can send a video with the engine running demonstrating the noise to see if mine is similar?
Blimey you must have had a very different engine to my VW I had.