All Jaguar XE related discussions
pem

Re: Tracker

Post by pem » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:54 pm

PhilB wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:30 pm
pem wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:16 pm
I hear that thieves use jamming devices and all sorts of tricks that negate the worth of a tracker
I think that might be a separate issue about whether trackers are any good or not.
This thread is about a member who has "inherited" a built in tracker in his forthcoming XE and needs advice about it.
that's correct and the first part of my reply stated that the insurance company will often charge you more for insurance with a tracker than without one.

so the debate could be whether it is it worth paying the yearly tracker subscription fee to maybe get back a car possibly damaged during the theft.
if you have decent GAP insurance protection you would not lose out much obtaining a replacement
R-sport 180 Diesel Auto Glacier white, jet/red leather, 19" black venoms,black pack, parking pack, climate pack, panoramic roof, privacy glass, 10 way electric seats, 4 way lumbar, powerfold mirrors with blindspot and lots more goodies

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:14 pm

pem wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:54 pm
so the debate could be whether it is it worth paying the yearly tracker subscription fee to maybe get back a car possibly damaged during the theft.
if you have decent GAP insurance protection you would not lose out much obtaining a replacement
I think you are missing the point.
The JLR tracker doesn't have a subscription fee.
This isn't about whether it's right to pay for a tracker or not.
He has one.
It's free.
He just wanted to know how it works as regarding insurance etc etc.

Your comments above are drifting back into whether it's worth having a tracker or not and that isn't the issue here.
XE S, My18, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
07/15 to 05/17: XE S British Racing Green Pics

ianbruce

Post by ianbruce » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:45 pm

I had a tracker fitted in my X type - it was amazingly sensitive to movement - I kept getting calls asking me if I knew where my car was (every time it was parked on the drive). A guy came to tweak it and he reckoned that it was vibration from the M42, a couple of hundred yards away. A good story, anyway, and it wasn't as twitchy once he had seen to it However, a salesman once put me off them - "would you really like to have your car back after it had been raced round by some tearaway". A good point, although not the whole story of course..

Midd_2005

Post by Midd_2005 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:17 am

I phoned my insurance company and the tracker fitted didn't have any impact on the price I pay. I opted to leave it off my policy.
Black XE R Sport 180PS 2.0L Diesel, 18" Alloys, Meridian Sound System, Ambient Lighting,

HARRIER

Post by HARRIER » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:33 pm

My Jaguar factory car spec sheet states .......tracker is fitted.

But it is 100% not!

This after 4 months of dealing with Jaguar Customer Services giving me completely the wrong information several times over until I insisted they cannot be right - they finally admitted I was right and gave me a £ 100 credit which I used to set off the first service cost.

The factory spec build sheet is wrong - there is actually no tracker fitted to my XE in fact and no tracking subscription was ever taken out when the car was brand new by the first owner
Jaguar XE 240 Petrol Sport, Glacier White, Venom Alloys, Black Pack & quite a few extras

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:05 pm

HARRIER wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:33 pm
The factory spec build sheet is wrong - there is actually no tracker fitted to my XE in fact and no tracking subscription was ever taken out when the car was brand new by the first owner
I just had a look at my Topix.
Apparently I should have a "Croatian Literature Pack"
I should also have a "tyre repair kit-highline" and "Less spare wheel".
Well, I actually have a spare wheel and I don't have a tyre repair kit but I also have a tracker which isn't on there at all.
:lol:
I think the list on Topix shouldn't be taken as being completely accurate.
Off to the dealer in the morning to demand my Croatian Literature Pack.
:D
XE S, My18, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.

BOBCDP

Post by BOBCDP » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:39 am

Mine is July 15 and has a tracker. It was on the car when I bought it at 11 months old and obviously the original owner had paid for it. I would have expected that the In Control Secure Subscription would only run for 3 years but mine clearly states that it runs out in July 19 which is 4 years.

As to the insurance question, I too thought great, how much do I get off? I'm afraid the answer from my insurer Direct Line was nowt, They don't want to know!! I have also tried it with and without tracker on the comparison sites and I'm afraid it really doesnt make any diference at all.

HARRIER

Post by HARRIER » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:48 am

I have had trackers in past cars but not currently. Luckily for me in 20 years only once did I get alerted when I had left my car with a tracker in the company car park overnight some 65 miles from my home and I was at home. Early hours of the morning I get an alert and I then call the police as per procedure.

Because the car was parked in Romford Essex...effectively NE London and within the M25 - Essex Police said I should contact Met Police, Met Police said contact Essex Police. They were both useless so actually therefore so was the tracker.

As it happens the car had not moved and it was a false signal in the end.

Now I wouldn't bother with fitting and paying for a tracker because most Insurance co's indeed don't give a discount for a tracker and are not interested. In some ways if my car was stolen and to boot got badly damaged I wouldn't want it back anyways.

I'm 50:50 on the point of trackers at all ....
Jaguar XE 240 Petrol Sport, Glacier White, Venom Alloys, Black Pack & quite a few extras

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:03 am

HARRIER wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:48 am
Now I wouldn't bother with fitting and paying for a tracker because most Insurance co's indeed don't give a discount for a tracker and are not interested. In some ways if my car was stolen and to boot got badly damaged I wouldn't want it back anyways.
Personally I have one fitted as I do want the car back and hopefully catch the thieving mutants at the same time.
I do understand the reluctance to want it back though.
Previous trackers don't need you to get involved if it's stolen.
Apart from initial 999 to say it's stolen and get a ref number.
The tracker people then take over advising the police of it's movements.
A stolen car on the move will generate a pretty positive response.
Or are we becoming a society that doesn't really care about getting the bad people locked up?
We just want our insurance claim to go through smoothly and get a replacement.
Not to mention paying increased insurance costs year on year because of apathy to keep cars from being stolen in the first place or recovered if they are.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:16 am

This tracker busines is a bit strange to me. I have Topix telling me I have a tracker fitted. The Incontrol app tells me I don't. The dealer tells me I don't. I have a Thatcham certificate that tells me I do and I have already had a false alert saying my car was being moved. So what the hell is going, on fitted or not?
R Sport 180 in Bluefire with loads of extras. ;)

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”