12v Socket Availability Time

All Jaguar XE related discussions
richmond

12v Socket Availability Time

Post by richmond » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:10 am

In the XE the 12v socket is only available for a few minutes after you switch off the engine, we are told it's to protect the battery power. I've always thought that it was a reasonable idea especially with Stop/Start. However, my wife has just bought one of the Ford New Fiesta cars and it's 12v socket stays alive for 75 minutes, and it has Stop/Start, electric mirrors, front and rear heated windows, and everything my XE has except the heated front seats. Maybe the XE technicians were being a bit too protective towards the battery? The few minutes allowed isn't enough time to do anything useful. Whereas the 75 minutes means that the dashcam is live in the car park while we're shopping, much more sensible. After all I'm not going to be running a power drill from it. :)
John
2016 XE Italian Racing Red Prestige 2.0i 200
Prev. 2011 XFS

G7DCW

Re: 12v Socket Availability Time

Post by G7DCW » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:49 am

I rarely use 12v sockets, but I do agree with Richmond's point of view. The same thing, really, but what annoys me is trying to listen to the radio when parked up, and missing stuff because the damn thing times out so frequently.
Petrol 240 Portfolio, Dark Sapphire.

richmond

Post by richmond » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:49 am

Judging from the lack of replies most owners on here aren't worried by this but I find it a real nuisance. If I'm pumping up my XE's tyres using a 12v electric pump then I have to scuttle round like a dervish to finish in time. If there are any problems then it times out. Yes I could have the engine running but the time to pump up tyres is when they're cold and that is not the time to start the engine and leave it idling.
This car owning is so complicated. :(
John
Prev. 2011 XFS

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:24 am

richmond wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:49 am
Judging from the lack of replies most owners on here aren't worried by this but I find it a real nuisance. If I'm pumping up my XE's tyres using a 12v electric pump then I have to scuttle round like a dervish to finish in time. If there are any problems then it times out. Yes I could have the engine running but the time to pump up tyres is when they're cold and that is not the time to start the engine and leave it idling.
Just switch the ignition on until you’ve finished
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:00 pm

I have to be honest in that I still use a two barrel foot pump as I read of people buying electric pumps only to find them pack up after a few uses.
EDIT....... I mistakingly bought a CTek cigarette adaptor for the charger and realised that the point cuts out after about 2 mins. :oops:
R Sport 180 in Bluefire with loads of extras. ;)

pauljobr

Post by pauljobr » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:22 pm

richmond wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:49 am
I use a 12v air compressor also, when I am checking mine, I unlock the car get my compressor out and then open drivers door and once I have plugged in to the 12v socket I press the start/stop button WITHOUT pressing the brake pedal. The ignition comes on and stays on for as long as I need. I can then press the button again when I unplug the compressor.
I liken this to when I used to have to get in a car and insert and turn the key, yes previously I did not have to turn for the ignition but it is similar, I am not there long usually 10 mins maximum so not really draining the battery and I would always have to use a key before.
R-Sport 180 Auto, Ultimate Black, Jet / Light Oyster, Meridian Audio, Power Fold Mirrors, Satin Ash veneer, Radiance Alloys, Black Pack.

richmond

Post by richmond » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:33 pm

What triggered this moan was finding that Ford can leave theirs live for 75 minutes which is great for my dashcam. I wouldn't leave the ignition live for that time, and anyway I think it times out well before that.
John
Prev. 2011 XFS

CaptainNoddy

Post by CaptainNoddy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:11 am

Wanting your dashcam powered is super but it's not something I would ever expect a manufacturer to build into their design criteria. Everything else anyone could reasonably want is probably satisfied by the ability to turn the ignition on.

My previous cars had sockets that went off immediately on turning off the car, so even the short delay with the XE is welcome to me.

Why not wire your dashcam to a fuse outlet that is permanently powered and add a voltage protector to it that will shut off the supply when the voltage drops to a particular level? Problem solved then really? Dash cam and protected battery?
MY16 XE 2.0 D AUTO 163PS, Ammonite Grey, Cold Climate Pack, Parking Pack, 10 way Seats, Xenon headlights

richmond

Post by richmond » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:19 am

I don't want the dashcam permanently powered and I don't trust voltage protectors to do the job reliably. Besides, there are lots of other occasions when a live 12v socket is very useful. I'll just have to live with it. (I wonder where the timer control is? ;) )
John
Prev. 2011 XFS

CaptainNoddy

Post by CaptainNoddy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:22 pm

Out of interest, what other occasions do you find you need the 12V?
MY16 XE 2.0 D AUTO 163PS, Ammonite Grey, Cold Climate Pack, Parking Pack, 10 way Seats, Xenon headlights

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”