XE R Sport - Petrol or Diesel?

All Jaguar XE related discussions
Dor67

XE R Sport - Petrol or Diesel?

Post by Dor67 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:22 am

I am buying an XE R Sport but dont know whwther to go for Petrol 2 litre 200PS or the Diesel 2 litre 180BP? Garage said that there wouldn't be much difference in my fuel costs (10,000 miles per year) if I went for the petrol engine but I am not convinced as book shows 45.1mpg for the petrol and 67.3mpg for the Diesel. My last few cars have been diesel so scared to change back to petrol but the petrol engine is £50 a month cheaper than the Diesel. Any advice to help me make up my mind will be appreciated 😊

Phil

Re: XE R Sport - Petrol or Diesel?

Post by Phil » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:54 am

It all depends on your mix of roads and driving style. I do a 36 mile round trip to work and back a day which is a mix of A and B roads and motorway, plus a few road trips (around 11000 a year total) and on average I see 31mpg in my petrol 240ps. I don't hang about.

When I had 180D loan cars I saw around 40mpg on average. It was cheaper for me to go petrol, which sounds and performs better :)

CaptainNoddy

Post by CaptainNoddy » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:58 am

I have a 180ps on loan at the moment. It is noticeably more thirsty than my 163ps in moderate length motorway trips but not in a major way - my work trip circa 22 miles one way with 17 of them on motorway is 56/58 mpg vs 48/50. However on winding roads/stop start sort of driving the 180 is much more thirsty.

So I would agree with Phil that it really depends on your driving style and roads. Windy roads or heavy right foot I wouldn’t be convinced the 180 would be saving you all that much in 10k a year over the petrol.
MY16 XE 2.0 D AUTO 163PS, Ammonite Grey, Cold Climate Pack, Parking Pack, 10 way Seats, Xenon headlights

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:16 am

I think you need to look carefully at your figures and costings.
Up to 10,000 miles per year would steer me towards the petrol.
Of course, a diesel should give a better mpg than the petrol but as you say the petrol has savings elsewhere?
Not being anti-diesel but with your mileage a petrol would have distinct advantages.
No need to worry about Adblue and the issues we have seen on here with problems with the sensors playing up etc.
The hesitation issue from rest doesn't seem to affect the petrols in any way like the diesels and in the current climate will the resale value be as good as a petrol?
Your choice in the long run though.
XE S, My18, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
07/15 to 05/17: XE S British Racing Green Pics

JiggyJag

Post by JiggyJag » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:53 am

I agree with the other guys - mileage etc. Would lead me to the petrol. I'm looking at going to a petrol myself as same mileage as you etc.
A key point you make is that the petrol will cost you £50/month less - this will easily cover any extra fuel cost.
MY17 XE Prestige 180 Auto, Odyssey red / Latte, parking pack, heated windscreen / washer jets, panoramic roof, folding mirrors, spare wheel, front/rear mud flaps

Dor67

Post by Dor67 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:24 am

Thanks for taking the time to reply. The garage are trying to source me one of the limited edition dark pack petrol XE, got in a panic last night thinking about only getting 31mpg! I have a diesel Mercedes SLK at present but wanted a total change. My last few cars have all.been diesel and I am used to getting around 45 mpg. You have all said go for the petrol. Thanks Doreen

G7DCW

Post by G7DCW » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:46 am

You could wait and see what the Budget does to fuel prices, but it's hardly likely to favour diesel, of course. @ 10000 miles a year, I agree with the general opinion, and also I am in the anti-diesel camp in general. We have 3 cars, all petrol, and I doubt that will change until electric or even hybrid models of cars that I fancy put in an appearance.
Petrol 240 Portfolio, Dark Sapphire.

billvega

Post by billvega » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:19 pm

JiggyJag wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:53 am
I agree with the other guys - mileage etc. Would lead me to the petrol. I'm looking at going to a petrol myself as same mileage as you etc.
A key point you make is that the petrol will cost you £50/month less - this will easily cover any extra fuel cost.
This. I have the Diesel and do about 60 miles a day for 5 days. But if i didn't commute i'd have the petrol, I do long for the feel of a petrol engine again but need to keep my fuel costs down
XE R Sport 180, MY18, Corris Grey, Black Pack/Venoms, Cold Climate, 40/20/40, Parking Pack, 10-Way Seats & 4-Way Lumbar.

gsb1970

Post by gsb1970 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:04 pm

I have the 2.0D and although it's a cracking engine that pulls like a train, In an ideal world I'd have a petrol.
R-sport 180D Ammonite Grey,jet-red interior.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:27 am

I have a diesel and it's great but I only bought it because it had nearly everthing I wanted on a build to own spec with a massive demo saving. I must say that the mileage and MPG thing is another thing that I really like. All the way to Scotland (Fort William via Port Patrick) and a week driving about while there on the same tank of fuel from north Cheshire. I filled up again to return home and put in 36 litres. With today's annimosity to diesel and a pending budget I would now buy petrol as the fuel costs are not going to hurt me by having less MPG. I think that the budget will see the costs per mile equalized between diesel and petrol. ie diesel 80p/mile (instead of say 60p) petrol 80p/mile which will make the diesel costs more per litre to achieve the balance /mile. I hope that makes sense. Thus obliterating the the economic difference between either fuel
R Sport 180 in Bluefire with loads of extras. ;)

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”