Would you say this seat wear is acceptable?

All Jaguar XE related discussions
BB72

Would you say this seat wear is acceptable?

Post by BB72 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:22 pm

FSCN0841.JPG

RSCN0843.JPG

This is the state of the drivers seat in my wife's 2017 XE Portfolio.
The car is 6 months old and has covered less than 5,000 miles. I noticed that the seat leather was starting to wear through when the car had only 2,000 miles on the clock. Jaguar had a look at the seat and said it was just normal wear and tear and was not covered under warranty.
The seat seams to be getting worse by the week and I dread to think what it will look like in a couple of years time. I am getting nowhere with Jaguar and have even written to the M.D. but of course I never received a reply. Have never had wear on a leather seat like this before on previous cars (BMW, Mercedes, Focus ST). The leather seems to be wafer thin and no, neither my wife or me wear jeans or any other clothing that has damaged the seat. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as the state of the seat is taking the gloss off of what otherwise is a good car and the likelihood of me buying another Jaguar at the moment is zero. Thank you.
2017 XE Portfolio 180 Auto. Polaris White. 19" Twin Spokes.

147daytona

Re: Would you say this seat wear is acceptable?

Post by 147daytona » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:48 pm

No way!
Mine is 8 months old with 4500 miles on the clock and there's not a mark on any of the seats and I almost always wear jeans.
MY17 240 R-Sport, IRR, Black Pack, Park Pack, Cold Climate Pack, 19" Twin 5 Spokes, Jet/Red Interior, 10 Way + Lumbar, Split Rear Seat, ICT Pro, Illuminated Tread Plates, Configurable Mood Lighting, Alloy Paddles & Pedals, Homelink, Spare Wheel.

gmh

Post by gmh » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:50 pm

No not usual wear. Mine is a portfolio with 20,000 on the clock (and I wear jeans). No marks on the seats at all. Its 11 months old.
Black XE Portfolio 180 Auto.
Parking pack, power folding mirrors, Jet/Jet interior, cup holder covers with leaper. MY2017

Plasma

Post by Plasma » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:59 pm

I have a 66 plate Portfolio and my leather has a tear similar but not quite as bad as yours. I do wear jeans sometimes but I’ve never had a problem on previous cars. It does seem leather is of poor quality. I’ve not bothered taking it up with Jaguar as I guess they will say wear and tear but for a car less than a year old I do think this is poor.

stephendutton63

Post by stephendutton63 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:21 pm

No No No and NO. That really is very poor, to say wear and tear is having a laugh.

CaptainNoddy

Post by CaptainNoddy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:14 pm

Hang on a sec all! Just a devils advocate view!!!

How far forward is your wife's seat BB72?

When I first got my car, I found with the seat set a little forward I was rubbing the seat in exactly that spot with my rear pocket/belt line every time I got in. I was hitting it firmly enough to be worried about the long term life of that area. My first X Type has sports seats with protruding side supports much like the XE and it had wear in the same area - albeit nowhere near as early in it's life as your wife's car. But in the XE the geometry of the door aperture is such that I was hitting the seat much more firmly getting in than in my X Type. I have since adjusted the seats position and now take some care to avoid rubbing the seat when climbing in.

Assuming of course that this is the right hand side of the drivers seat - looking at your picture I can see the leather is also quite badly creased under the worn bit which would suggest that a large proportion of her weight is pressing against the seat as she rubs against it while getting in. Depending on what she is wearing regularly that could quickly cause damage such as this IMHO if seams/belt loops/jeans/buttons/etc are involved.

All that being said, I would blame the design of the XE at the end of the day. I don't find it as friendly to enter as other cars. BUT I think with this car it will come down to how your get into it.....
MY16 XE 2.0 D AUTO 163PS, Ammonite Grey, Cold Climate Pack, Parking Pack, 10 way Seats, Xenon headlights

BB72

Post by BB72 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:31 pm

My wife has the seat set quite a way back. I know a lot of women drive with their chin touching the steering wheel, but not my wife. Anyway, her last car was a Ford Focus ST which had leather Recaro seats which had large side bolsters and when this car went back 3 years later with over 40,000 miles on the clock the seats still looked like new apart from some slight creasing. The leather on her XE has worn right through and it looks a right mess. Jaguar don't seem to care less about this issue. Not happy!
2017 XE Portfolio 180 Auto. Polaris White. 19" Twin Spokes.

billvega

Post by billvega » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:27 am

Christ. Mine has done 9k and leather is 100%. That looks like the kind of wear a 15 year old car wpuld have. I had a leather a4 that wad over 10 years old and that was slso perfect at 90k miles.

I would observe what is going on with your mrs when she gets in and out the car. Perhaps she is swiveling on the area to get out? Or has something in her pocket there or keeps the keys there. Something must be causing it. If its purely getting in and out then that is not right at all!
XE R Sport 180, MY18, Corris Grey, Black Pack/Venoms, Cold Climate, 40/20/40, Parking Pack, 10-Way Seats & 4-Way Lumbar.

Domfow

Post by Domfow » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:50 am

My XE has 28,000 miles on the clock in under 2 years and is Oyster and not a mark on any Seats. I had an X Type Sport from new with Ivory interior and after 10 years and 150,000 miles no mark. Now for Leather, I wet wash every 4 weeks to remove any grime and I use Autoglym every 3 months to clean and feed the leather takes 10 minutes. A leather seat is just like a pair of shoes, does need a polish, to stop creases feed the leather.
Jaguar use to use Lear (Jet fame) to provide the seats, I don't know if that's true for the XE, but it looks like the leather quality and dying process hasn't been very good on your wife's car.
There are a number of Jaguar Leather seat restorers (check online), I would send them pictures and see what their professional advice is on how the car seat has got in that state and then use that as a claim against Jaguar.
PS. I wear Jeans in my car at weekend, locals complain if I drive around in my underpants :lol:
Jaguar XE Portfolio 163ps manual Bluefire with Oyster leather, extras: xenon, reverse camera, heated screen, upgrade matts, dim mirrors

richmond

Post by richmond » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:23 am

That isn't caused by normal, or even abnormal wear, that's damage caused by something hard and sharp repeatedly rubbing on it. I think you'll have a hard time convincing Jaguar but you can only try.
John
2016 XE Italian Racing Red Prestige 2.0i 200
Prev. 2011 XFS

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”