Where should I put my foot?

All Jaguar XE related discussions
Mr_Grumpy

Where should I put my foot?

Post by Mr_Grumpy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:28 am

Using cruise control, my foot usually hovers over the accellerator pedal. This is not because I've thought about it and decided it's the best place for it, but because it's been programmed by decades of non-cruise-control motoring to be on the accellerator.

If it's going to hover anywhere then over the brake pedal would be safer, but are other options available?

Advice please. :)
XE MY18 petrol Portfolio 2.0t from July 2017. Caesium Blue, Parking Pack, Cold Weather Pack, Powerfold mirrors.

From Sept 2015 to July 2017: MY16 180d Prestige, Rhodium Silver.

PhilB

Re: Where should I put my foot?

Post by PhilB » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:49 am

Keep it as it is.
In normal driving your foot moves to the brake very quickly if needed and using cruise is no different if you need to brake.
Hovering over the brake is an unusual postion for your feet in normal driving mode so it won't feel comfortable or natural.
XE S, My18, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
07/15 to 05/17: XE S British Racing Green Pics

ColinR

Post by ColinR » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:50 am

Flat on the floor for me

kiseca

Post by kiseca » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:36 pm

Mine sits on the floor in front of the accelerator pedal, or resting against the sidewall in front of it, both so, as mentioned above, I have quick access to the brake pedal but also so that the brake pedal is where my foot naturally expects it to be. I've not had an incident severe enough to test my positioning yet. With cruise control, my biggest worry is if I need to panic brake, for want of a better term, that if my foot isn't in its normal position I hit the accelerator instead, so it's usually on the floor in front of it.

I rarely use the cruise control. In normal UK South East motorway traffic I never bother with it. I used it in France recently where I was more likely to be able to maintain a given speed - so I guess I don't really trust it enough yet.

I have heard a few people say in accidents that their brakes failed at the crucial moment (immediately before they needed to perform an emergency stop) and that their pedal went to the floor. It happens often enough that I suspect in at least some cases, drivers unknowingly hit the accelerator instead of the brake in an unexpected emergency. If this is the case, I see no particular reason that I would be immune to such a mistake either, so do worry about what to do with my right foot with cruise control on.
XE Petrol 240 Portfolio in free black

NewLester de Rocin

Post by NewLester de Rocin » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:20 pm

I’ve not had a great many opportunities to experiment with Cruise Control in OTHER vehicles. Only in this XE.

Leave your foot hovering over the throttle. If your foot accidentally rests on the throttle and engages gas, the XE will register that as “OverSpeed” (your TFT has a more technical name for it, but I can’t remember the term), and the XE will increase its speed WITHOUT forgetting the official target-speed your Cruise Control was set on. So even if your foot temporarily causes the speed to climb, once you ease off the throttle, the car returns to its still-active Cruise Control set speed.

I’ve been in one cruise-control equipped car, where the slightest nudge on the throttle DEACTIVATES cruise-control, and leaves you back in full manual control of the car.

Reason number 263, why I like my Jaguar XE.
1990 Corolla DX in Regata Blue; 1996 Corolla DX in Satin Granite Black;
2017 (X760) XE Prestige in British Racing Green

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:00 pm

I only tend to use it in the 50mph roadworks thingy on motorways with the average cameras.
I sometimes put my right foot up on the dash to show everybody I have cruise control in the Jaaaaaag.
:mrgreen:
XE S, My18, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
07/15 to 05/17: XE S British Racing Green Pics

Mr_Grumpy

Post by Mr_Grumpy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:43 pm

Thanks for all your comments. It seems that accellerator hovering is not quite so odd as I thought.

Our motorways are quieter than yours darn sarf and maybe we have more opportunity to ponder such matters. I wouldn't dream of using it on the M1 or the M25.

I'd like to try Phil's "foot on dashboard" suggestion, but I'd need epidural anaesthesia to be able to manage that. :)
XE MY18 petrol Portfolio 2.0t from July 2017. Caesium Blue, Parking Pack, Cold Weather Pack, Powerfold mirrors.

From Sept 2015 to July 2017: MY16 180d Prestige, Rhodium Silver.

Gok

Post by Gok » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:51 pm

kiseca wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:36 pm
Mine sits on the floor in front of the accelerator pedal, or resting against the sidewall in front of it, both so, as mentioned above, I have quick access to the brake pedal but also so that the brake pedal is where my foot naturally expects it to be. I've not had an incident severe enough to test my positioning yet. With cruise control, my biggest worry is if I need to panic brake, for want of a better term, that if my foot isn't in its normal position I hit the accelerator instead, so it's usually on the floor in front of it.

I rarely use the cruise control. In normal UK South East motorway traffic I never bother with it. I used it in France recently where I was more likely to be able to maintain a given speed - so I guess I don't really trust it enough yet.

I have heard a few people say in accidents that their brakes failed at the crucial moment (immediately before they needed to perform an emergency stop) and that their pedal went to the floor. It happens often enough that I suspect in at least some cases, drivers unknowingly hit the accelerator instead of the brake in an unexpected emergency. If this is the case, I see no particular reason that I would be immune to such a mistake either, so do worry about what to do with my right foot with cruise control on.
There’s actually a podcast about this, how the whole embargo about failing brakes around the world was people accidentally engaging the accelerator as opposed to the brakes
R-Sport 2.0d 180 Auto | Ultimate black | 19" black venoms | Incontrol Touch Pro | Cold climate pack | Parking pack | Privacy glass | 40/20/40

gmh

Post by gmh » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:14 pm

The brake pedal is positioned so it sticks out closer to the driver. If you don't want to hover, just use this to guide the position of your foot (place foot central when flat on the floor).

I thought this was to help a driver not hit the accelerator!

Another option is left foot braking.
Black XE Portfolio 180 Auto.
Parking pack, power folding mirrors, Jet/Jet interior, cup holder covers with leaper. MY2017

pem

Post by pem » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:01 pm

I think it is each to their own, where you need to try various positions on long journeys and see which is most comfortable at the end of the journey. I find hovering over a pedal can strain the muscles in my foot.

Have driven about 20 different automatic cars (many were rental cars in the USA) in the last 14 years, I am comfortable resting my foot on the plastic (?) foot rest on the floor on the left hand side of the foot pedals in the XE, which is presumably the place where you are meant to rest your foot.

I would advise new (and more experienced) auto box users to ONLY use 1 foot (normally your right hand) when driving to avoid confusion and hitting a wrong pedal when having to emergency stop.

Being honest the driving position on the XE is perfect for me and I can get out of it after a 4 hour journey and have no aches, pains, cramp etc it is by far the most comfortable car I have ever driven. Even better than my big SAAB Aero.
R-sport 180 Diesel Auto Glacier white, jet/red leather, 19" black venoms,black pack, parking pack, climate pack, panoramic roof, privacy glass, 10 way electric seats, 4 way lumbar, powerfold mirrors with blindspot and lots more goodies

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”