"Faraday" key pouches

All Jaguar XE related discussions
robertW

Re: "Faraday" key pouches

Post by robertW » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:30 am

Padlocked chain round the steering wheel and pedals would be a useful addition
240 Portfolio, July 2015, adaptive cruise, queue assist, advanced park, 360° cameras, folding mirrors.

Thorn

Post by Thorn » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:37 pm

I’ve got a Secrid wallet to protect my cards. Now I’m exploring key pouches.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:17 am

Just for info one of the members on the F-Pace forums had his stolen last night.
Looks like it was the signal booster job and he didn't have his keys in a metal cabinet or shielded pouch.
It looks like they have the parked location of it so hopefully he will have it back soon.

Bear in mind that luxury 4x4's are very popular with thieves so hopefully our Xe's are a fair bit below the radar.
Current: XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Panthera

Post by Panthera » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:35 pm

Hi my car has keyless entry so decided to buy an anti theft pouch from Halfords.I placed the key fob in the pouch then put it in my pocket.I walked out to the car touched the door handle and it unlocked. Didn’t think it would unlock with the key fob in the pouch or have I misunderstood it’s use? Guy in the store said it’s for keeping the keys in when in the house to stop the signal from being boosted. So how do you test it? If I leave the keys in the house out of the pouch and go to the car it won’t unlock. Took it back and got refund. Should the car have unlocked with the key in the pouch and in my pocket? If the pouch was stopping the key fob signal it should have stayed locked shouldn’t it?
Has anyone tried what I did with a different pouch?
Many thanks for any replies
Drive safe
Colin
Tha

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:08 am

Panthera wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:35 pm
Hi my car has keyless entry so decided to buy an anti theft pouch from Halfords.I placed the key fob in the pouch then put it in my pocket.I walked out to the car touched the door handle and it unlocked. Didn’t think it would unlock with the key fob in the pouch or have I misunderstood it’s use? Guy in the store said it’s for keeping the keys in when in the house to stop the signal from being boosted. So how do you test it? If I leave the keys in the house out of the pouch and go to the car it won’t unlock. Took it back and got refund. Should the car have unlocked with the key in the pouch and in my pocket? If the pouch was stopping the key fob signal it should have stayed locked shouldn’t it?
Has anyone tried what I did with a different pouch?
Yes, I have two from the Amazon link I posted earlier.
One for each of the keys.
On mine the pouch has two pockets. One that isn't shielded and an inner pouch that is shielded and it works.
On most of the ones I've seen the shielded pocket is a goldish beige material.
So I can use it to keep the keys tidy in my trouser or jeans pocket with the fob in the unshielded pocket of the pouch so it works as normal.
In "safe" mode the fob goes in the beige pocket and the car won't open at all even standing next to it as usual.
Current: XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Panthera

Post by Panthera » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:44 am

Thanks for reply Phil. That’s how I expected it to work. Will order some from the link you provided.

HaloJones

Post by HaloJones » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:27 pm

While I was out of the country over Christmas I wrapped both my keys in tin foil and even with them touching the door handles, he car would not unlock. Cost me nothing.
Ultimate Black Portfolio 240 Petrol, Chrome Window Surrounds, Templar 18", Oyster Interior

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:10 pm

I mentioned that near the begining of the post.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

Fozzie1960

Post by Fozzie1960 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:31 pm

If aluminium foil works then wouldn't a microwave?
Portfolio 180 Auto / Italian Racing Red / Jet Leather Seats / Parking Pack with Camera / Memory Pack with Powerfold Mirrors / Heated Front Screen / Split Rear Seats.

richmond

Post by richmond » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:15 pm

I see that the thief who used one of these devices to steal a Mercedes from a house in Marston Green near Solihull several months ago has just been given 18mths in jail and banned from driving for 18mths as well, the second part seems a bit unnecessary.
John
2016 XE Italian Racing Red Prestige 2.0i 200
Prev. 2011 XFS

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”