"Faraday" key pouches

All Jaguar XE related discussions
PhilB

"Faraday" key pouches

Post by PhilB » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:29 pm

With all this stuff going on about the thieves using a booster to amplify the key signal and steal the car off the drive, like many I started putting mine away in a metal tin.
However after reading a few things on one of the "other" forums it seems some tins etc might not be doing the job.
I tried taking the tin out and the car still opened. :shock:
So I have just got a couple of the pouches off Amazon (£11.99 for two) swiftly delivered via China post and yep they do work.
Mine have two pockets. An unshielded one for keeping the keys when you want the keyless working and a beige coloured inner pocket which is the actual shielded one.
Car just doesn't unlock when in the shielded pocket.
Some eejits have been saying they don't as they have used the wrong pocket.
But they are small enough to keep your keys in when in your pocket so all in all I'm impressed.
:D

Linky:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wemk-Blocker-K ... aday+pouch
XE S, My18, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
07/15 to 05/17: XE S British Racing Green Pics

NewLester de Rocin

Re: "Faraday" key pouches

Post by NewLester de Rocin » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:46 pm

Good'o.

Thanks, PhilB. Just the thing for stowing the XE on vacation time too. I'll see about mine.

My neighborhood suffered a loss two weeks ago. A family who owned two Range Rovers, had one parked safely in their driveway while they drove the other to a Thanksgiving event.
On the return, they drove up and found two thieves still in the parked Range Rover, struggling unsuccessfully to fool the ignition. The female owner had already gotten out of the second Range Rover, and was pounced on by the frustrated thieves before she knew what was happening.
They killed her, threw the family out of their already running Rover, and drove off with it
GPS-ed and witness-assisted police caught up to the car the next day, and arrested three inside it.

The thing more dangerous than a smart thief, is an inept thief who--the moment he realizes he's picked a car that's throwing up electronic barriers against his technique-- is just too stupid to give up and leave before frustration ends in dumb violence.
1990 Corolla DX in Regata Blue; 1996 Corolla DX in Satin Granite Black;
2017 (X760) XE Prestige in British Racing Green

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:23 am

Phil, can I ask you to try something. Wrap your key fob in kitchen foil and see if the signal is blocked. Aluminium is supposed to block all frequencies up to a certain point in the Faraday cage theory. I have my wallet shieled by 2 old credit cards wrapped in alluminium foil as I read somewhere that it blocked skimmers getting details from the cards, so I assume something similar will block fob signals.
R Sport 180 in Bluefire with loads of extras. ;)

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:43 am

Vespa wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:23 am
Phil, can I ask you to try something. Wrap your key fob in kitchen foil and see if the signal is blocked. Aluminium is supposed to block all frequencies up to a certain point in the Faraday cage theory. I have my wallet shieled by 2 old credit cards wrapped in alluminium foil as I read somewhere that it blocked skimmers getting details from the cards, so I assume something similar will block fob signals.
Yep, foil works for the keys as well.
Obviously blocks the signal.
Neighbour wondered why I was waving a baked potato near the car.
:lol:
I've seen the "slips" you can get on Amazon for credit cards etc.
But if foil works for the keys it might protect credit cards too.
XE S, My18, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.

Domfow

Post by Domfow » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:33 pm

Linky:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wemk-Blocker-K ... aday+pouch
[/quote]

Thanks Phil, my wife has just bought me one as a useful Christmas present from the above site, numbers available are dropping fast on amazon.
lots of us will have cars parked up over Christmas and we'll not always be in the house
Jaguar XE Portfolio 163ps manual Bluefire with Oyster leather, extras: xenon, reverse camera, heated screen, upgrade matts, dim mirrors

loh_meow

Post by loh_meow » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:11 pm

I bought one of these to spice up the key fob, and it ended up having a similar shielding effect. Essentially, CF attenuates the signal from the fob, so the range is severely limited. To open the doors, I almost have to lean against them.

MY18 XE-S, Yulong White

Philtrum

Post by Philtrum » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:57 pm

I bought these in August:
Mengshen® Cell Phone RF Signal Blocker Jammer Pouch Shielding Bag Case Double Layer MS-PX01 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QIEX04K?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Less than £10 for 3!

If my key is in the pouch and I’m standing next to the car, the keyless entry doesn’t work. And the car won’t start if the key is inside the pouch in the car. So I guess they are effective.
XES 3.0L V6. Glacier White. Panoramic sun roof.

BevC

Post by BevC » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:11 pm

Does this issue affect all keys or just the keyless entry system?

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:12 pm

I think it affects all keys with radio transmitters to open/close car doors. It has been widely shown on TV in the consumer programmes. The thieves can also skim your credit cards with their phones if they get close to you. I have 2 dud cards wrapped in aluminium foil at either side of my wallet to stop the others being skimmed. Your phone can also be skimmed to gain access to pay by phone payments and personal details.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/credit-car ... stay-safe/
R Sport 180 in Bluefire with loads of extras. ;)

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:37 pm

It's a bit of a never-ending saga.
As soon as new security is introduced then the thieves find ways to try and get around it.
As you may know from the lost key blurb, they can't clone a new key like they used to as only the two keys that came with the car will operate it.

It also depends on how much manufacturers are willing to spend on security.
Unless the car gets a reputation as being stolen in significant numbers then they will do just enough.

With this current booster thing, as it's your key's signal being boosted the car will unlock and start as it thinks the real key so will open and start.
But once the car is beyond the range of their booster then it will keep on running until the engine is stopped.
I'm sure that it isn't hard technology to have software that will shut the car down (safely of course as we don't want the little toe-rags getting hurt) once there is no longer a constant signal from the key.

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”