Fuel Consumption - Jaguar XE 178bhp 2 litre diesel

All Jaguar XE related discussions
GazzaPops

Fuel Consumption - Jaguar XE 178bhp 2 litre diesel

Post by GazzaPops » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:10 pm

As per previous motoring column reports, - critical of manufacturer claimed mpg figures - the claimed average mpg by Jaguar of 55mpg - 75mpg is nowhere near the mark in reality driving conditions
As a former Grade 1 Police Advanced driver, and testing my XE out over the past 3 months in Eco mode, I can only achieve an average of 45mpg.
Whilst I really love the driving aspect of my XE R-Sport, it is more than disappointing not to be able to achieve the claimed figures put out by Jaguar.
Compare this then to the claimed future mileage figures for an electric vehicle, and claims of journeys of up to 300 miles on a full charge must be treated with the same scepticism. One must only expect something in the order of 200 miles!
Come on Jaguar, and indeed the whole car industry, you are doing everyone a great disservice and besmirching the otherwise excellent reputation of this vehicle

-MICK-

Re: Fuel Consumption - Jaguar XE 178bhp 2 litre diesel

Post by -MICK- » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:26 pm

interesting... I drive the pants off my XE and it has never been in eco mode with stop start disabled and I'm averaging 50mpg over the last 40k miles.... still not 65 but Id imagine I could get to that if i tired..

My last car was a 160Bhp Insignia with a claimed 65mpg.... I averaged 32mpg over 3 years and 150k miles.....

TheElderGeek

Post by TheElderGeek » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:52 pm

Most journeys mine does mid-50s, and has broken 60 twice. 4wd versions I've had on loan managed high 40s. Wouldn't say i drive the pants off it but I'm not averse to a bit of overtaking! Anticipation is the key! Can't say I've ever noticed a police car being driven for economy, so perhaps the training isn't that relevant? :-)
2017 R-Sport 180d auto, IRR, Meridian 380W, Cup Holder Covers

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:36 pm

I’m averaging mid 50s in a 180D using normal mode with stopstart disabled. Best trip so far was low 70s over about 200 miles
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

Maccyn

Post by Maccyn » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:53 pm

I am getting about 53 average MPG, over 30,000 miles, almost always in dynamic. 163bhp manual diesel.

Have achieved over 75 MPG on about a 70 mile motorway trip.
2.0 i4 Diesel 163PS Manual R-Sport in Italian Racing Red, hole in the roof, noisy sound system

GazzaPops

Post by GazzaPops » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:16 pm

In reply, thanks for the responses, I am wondering if the low mpg is attributable to the fact that I have only completed just over 2000 miles since new on 1st June 2017 and the engine is still tight.
Low mileage enforced through an illness period, so perhaps I should now put some more mileage on, and drive the pants off her as expressed by -MICK-

-MICK-

Post by -MICK- » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:42 pm

hmmm since I posted earlier my car has now been diagnosed with a stretched timing chain :( which is an engine out repair..... So maybe dont drive it like mine..... Mines a company car... :)

But Yes Id say your car needs to get some miles on it....

CaptainNoddy

Post by CaptainNoddy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:10 pm

GazzaPops wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:16 pm
In reply, thanks for the responses, I am wondering if the low mpg is attributable to the fact that I have only completed just over 2000 miles since new on 1st June 2017 and the engine is still tight.
Low mileage enforced through an illness period, so perhaps I should now put some more mileage on, and drive the pants off her as expressed by -MICK-
I wouldn't think the engine being new would make a huge difference but it may do.

Of the driving you have done, is it long or short hops? Fast or slow? Start and Stop?

I had a 178bhp courtesy car and I never could get the mpg above around 50-51 and it generally was in the 40's. My own 161 bhp gives me 56 average over 5000 miles so far and a best of 69 mpg.

Remember that the figures aren't Jaguars per se - they are the results from the ridiculous, unrepresentative tests that all cars go through. No car will ever likely see the published figures. So, 45-50 for the 178 bhp is actually around the right mark ultimately I think.
MY16 XE 2.0 D AUTO 163PS, Ammonite Grey, Cold Climate Pack, Parking Pack, 10 way Seats, Xenon headlights

Rgc

Post by Rgc » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:20 pm

I have found it really does matter how you drive it. I have the 180d RWD. I have never had below 45 mpg. Average around 50-55mpg. Best I have had on a long journey at a steady 56 Mph was 78mpg. That was Lemington spa to Witham in Essex, 137 miles. Eco mode & I switched off the air con and fan etc. I also kept speed very steady. So it is possible. The problem is no-one drives like a nun. If you overtake a few cars and only drive at 70, it will still decimate the mpg. Note. I complained that my XE didn't drive as fast as a loan car I had. I was still running mine in in Eco mode. The sales guy who took mine out and delivered it back to me told me the loan car had been run in brutally. He said to get out of eco mode and thrash it. It's a lot better now. Basicly you shouldn't be in Eco mode to run it in. Use all modes and vary the gears as well as keeping the revs Down. Because the gearbox learns your style of driving. So it's possible that the might learn bad habits. Ie be a better drive but not be good on mpg? What do others think?
XE 180D RWD Auto Portfolio in Dark Sapphire Blue Light Oyster Interior, Gloss Figured Ebony
(14 waySeatsMem&PwrFold, ColdClimPack, PwrPack, ICTPro, AdvParkAssPack, 40/20/40 HeatRearSeat, LKA, BSMonitor, PremMoodLight, PanRoof)
- Essex 20/12/2016

CaptainNoddy

Post by CaptainNoddy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:53 am

I'd agree with most of that Rgc. For me with the 163PS I find that 120kmh (our motorway speed limit) I will get 57-67mpg depending on various factors. But if I go up to 130kmh that will reduce dramatically. Same with a few ocassions of heavy acceleration during a drive - that will pull the trip mpg down a lot too. As will remote start for just 5 or 10 minutes before you get going. But the best speed for economy generally for most cars is somewhere nearer to 50mph as your Witham trip shows.

Don't underestimate the wind effect too though. I have had wild differences in economy on the same route depending on whether the gale is helping or hindering me. If you're unlucky like me, then most of your round trips will be both into the wind and uphill in both directions.... :D

I think it is a myth that the gearbox learns your long term driving style really. The adaptations within the gearbox are allowing for the tolerances and slip and give of your particular gearbox. It learns and adapts over time to change gears and apply clutches to accomodate wear and manufacturing tolerances.

There is a short term driving behaviour learning going on, but that is for seconds rather than weeks, months or years. Hard accelaration will tend to delay an upshift after you come off the throttle for example, in case you need to go back on it again.

The long term adaptations are impacted by how you drive at the end of the day - for example if you are always slowing down under heavy braking, then the gearbox may not get much opportunity to assess it downshift tolerances accurately, compared to coasting to a stop. But that is more the gearbox being hindered in it's own assessment rather than it learning what you personally do. Those factors may affect the drivability to some extent but I don't believe they would impact mpg.

That's my take at least.....
MY16 XE 2.0 D AUTO 163PS, Ammonite Grey, Cold Climate Pack, Parking Pack, 10 way Seats, Xenon headlights

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”