Fuel Consumption - Jaguar XE 178bhp 2 litre diesel

All Jaguar XE related discussions
CaptainNoddy

Re: Fuel Consumption - Jaguar XE 178bhp 2 litre diesel

Post by CaptainNoddy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:38 pm

Well it sounds like you guys would certainly know better than me! 1% error at the pump is perfectly reasonable really I guess....
MY16 XE 2.0 D AUTO 163PS, Ammonite Grey, Cold Climate Pack, Parking Pack, 10 way Seats, Xenon headlights

wordchild

Post by wordchild » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:09 pm

hello folks,

just to weigh in on this depending on how long you can bear with me droning on for...

- speculating about eco mode: is it right that it dulls the accelerator response, among other effects? (I don't have an XE :-(... my dad has a current XF but I don't often drive it & haven't played with eco mode). If so, am wondering if you tend to boot it harder in eco to compensate for the softer response, and so end up using more fuel than if you'd driven gently in normal?

- official fuel consumption figures: remember that the current EU figures are based on simulating extremely gentle driving in the most favourable conditions, hence most of us don't match them (or not for any significant distance). (A new, more realistic, test regime is being phased in but it'll take a while before existing models are tested). But I think it's worth being aware that any car sold in the US will also have official figures from the (far more stringent) EPA over there, which are easily googleable, and can be converted into imperial mpg by multiplying by 1.2. I think the only XE diesel sold there, handily for this thread, is the 180PS version. Its official average is 36mpg US, i.e. 43.2mpg in real money..... which might put the figures some of you good people are managing in a different light!

- measuring fuel consumption: think it might also help to be aware that the only truly accurate way to measure fuel consumption is by mass, whereas we measure (and buy / sell) by volume. This is because volume varies with temperature (things shrink in the cold remember....) and because winter fuels are a little less dense than summer ones. I think it's correct that fuel injection systems also work by mass not volume (taking it that mass air flow meters do what their name suggests...) - so in winter, injecting a given mass of fuel would require a slightly greater volume if the density is less, hence consumption as we measure it is higher. & colder weather puts consumption up anyway, with longer warm-up times etc. (Another aside - the EPA site says that summer "gasoline" has 1.7% higher energy density than winter, though doesn't explain this and doesn't mention diesel....).
I don't think car trip computers are that accurately calibrated to be honest... mine isn't accurate but is also off by inconsistent margins...

Anyway I'm sure that's quite enough... :roll:
in friendship :ugeek:
XE interloper :geek:

Makem

Post by Makem » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:58 pm

Hi all, thought you may be interested in my best mpg to date on a recent trip to Birmingham
Eco setting used

8E15DFCD-9AF2-420D-A7BF-C3F74193A383.jpeg

2.0D 180 Prestige, Auto, Fuji
Parking & Cold climate packs
380 Meridian
Folding heated mirrors
Configurable ambient lighting

Draxter

Post by Draxter » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:09 pm

Hi people,

I'm new on the forum, but I'm here because I have one particular question (better to say problem) in this domain.

I bought recently XE prestige 2.0 diesel 178bhp, and before buying it I read about the engine's frugality, average consumption, etc., but now, when I'm driving in the city area, I'm not approaching those numbers even closely although I objectively do not squeeze too much gas. Last month (90% of the time I drove in the city), my average consumption was about 23 mpg, which looks very uneconomical to me.

Before that I drove the BMV 318d (F30) and average urban consumption was about 34 mpg with similar driving style. I have yet to mention that I do not live in the UK but in the Croatian coastal area (there is probably a different regime in urban driving, shorter distances etc.) - maybe even high temperatures and A/C (over)use have to do with that.

Please if you can share your experiences and advices, that I can see if this is a normal or atypical situation and eventually contact official retailer in my country.

Andyteign

Post by Andyteign » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:00 pm

That does seem uneconomical to me. I have the 178bhp, although with a manual gearbox, and generally get into the 30`s when I do town driving.
R-Sport 180 in Caesium Blue

Silver Jimmy

Post by Silver Jimmy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:01 pm

I have 178bhp XE 2015 Diesel Automatic and I get 45 to 50 mpg on regular short trips and around town. Recent trip of 45 miles returned 62mpg. I am very satisfied with the frugality of my Jaguar XE. I really think you should have your consumption checked.
Jaguar XE Prestige 180 D Auto. Italian Racing Red. Jet Black Leather/Red Stitching. Cold Climate Pack. Mud Flaps.

CharlieP

Post by CharlieP » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:23 pm

I've had my R Sport 2.0d 180 for three months (66 plate). Travelled 2200 miles in that time and averaged well over 50mpg. Car has done 17k overall and in the three months I've had it's covered a wide range of urban and longer distances. Best long run figures currently are 66mpg and 64mpg. Urban approx 50mpg. Found it easy to achieve over 60mpg on motorway - in 'Normal' mode.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:29 pm

My average around my town can be very low at 24 mpg. That said it hasn't really got hot enough. If I use it several times without letting it go cold it will average around 45 mpg. On a run I have achieved 67 mpg reguularly and on one trip to York 86 miles away we managed 71mpg. That run for us is mainly motorway and fast A roads almost from start to finish, with just a few miles either end in 30 mph limits.
R Sport 180 in Bluefire with loads of extras. ;)

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:26 pm

I'm driving a diesel courtesy car at present and have just completed an 80 mile round trip and got 61 mpg. That's not bad when you compare it with my petrol XE, which on the same trip does 44 mpg. My car's in for the start/stop not working (2nd time) and the leaking headlight washer nozzle. Both problems being common according to this forum.
Bazzamf - XE 200 Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black

nippirC

Post by nippirC » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:50 pm

Just come back from seeing friends 61 miles away average speed 49 mph and 58.7 mpg. The gearbox was in normal mode.

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”