Front collision why no AEB or AIR BAGS deployed?

All Jaguar XE related discussions
Andyhol

Front collision why no AEB or AIR BAGS deployed?

Post by Andyhol » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:44 am

Hi guys, sadly I was involved in my first ever car crash yesterday morning after 41 incident free years. A young lady aged between 17 & 18 turned straight across me at a junction (turning right into her School on my left - hence I can guess her age) giving me nowhere to go and although I braked hard and tried to swerve left to avoid her she kept coming fast from my right quarter and I smashed into her front near side wing. She bounced off to face the opposite way (my direction of travel) and I then hit a lamp post and bounced back. Fortunately my daughter and I were not injured although she has a painful neck and back today and the young lady was just shocked and upset. As luck would have it we are both insured with ADMIRAL and I am pleased to report the young lady was honest and admitted it was her fault when she made her claim. So my no claims is safe and no excess for me to pay. Have to say I’m gutted as my cat is my pride and joy. It was really painful to see her being dragged backwards onto a flat bed to be taken to the body shop. I’m still waiting to hear if she can be repaired but I’m hopeful she will be. The main reason for sharing this story is because it has left me with a number of questions that I’m sure some of you will be able to help with. First off, why did neither of our airbags deploy. I was travelling around the 30 mph speed limit I would guess at 32/33 and although I only had a split second to react my daughter says I reacted really quickly and I definitely slammed the brakes on as I instinctively turned to try to avoid the other car - a Skoda Yeti by the way. The road was damp so the impact speed was probably still above 25 mph and the combined speed of both cars around 50 I would say. Thoughts anyone? Also the AEB which often warns of collisions when other vehicles are well out of the way, failed to go off and neither of us felt the seat belts pulling us back, are they not supposed to pre-tension when the car senses an impending impact? My car has the advanced parking pack so 360 degree cameras and sensors all around. Be very interested to hear your thoughts. In the meantime I’m driving a mondeo which is a nice car but nowhere near as nice to drive as my jag :-( one final comment, considering we hit a 4x4 and it was a big hit the car still protected us well even without the airbags etc.
XE 180d Portfolio Auto Polaris White & Light Oyster with loads of extras thanks to 1st owner :D

Wastegate84

Re: Front collision why no AEB or AIR BAGS deployed?

Post by Wastegate84 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:31 am

I think the main function of the AEB is to stop rear end collisions. It's very good but can't protect you in every circumstance, that's why we're still behind the wheel.

With regards to the airbag and pre-tensioners they will only go off if the module decides there is enough energy involved to warrant deployment. I know you said you were doing over 30 but you will be surprised how quickly you lose speed when braking hard.

Good luck with the repairs.

Andyhol

Post by Andyhol » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:55 am

Good point thanks
XE 180d Portfolio Auto Polaris White & Light Oyster with loads of extras thanks to 1st owner :D

CaptainNoddy

Post by CaptainNoddy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:08 am

So sorry to hear about the prang Andyhol. I'm glad everyone is OK.

As Wastegate says, it just depends on how the sensors see the impact. A quartering impact like the one you described would possibly be sensed as split into a longitudinal impact (along the centreline of the car) and a lateral one (from door to door) and perhaps not enough force was sensed along either of these axes.

Also, as Wastegate said, I think you would be quite amazed how much speed you can scrub off in a short time, but also be quite amazed at how much damage can be caused by a relatively low impact energy.

Finally, don't get confused about relative speed. It has been proven a few times through testing that a head on collision where two cars are doing 50mph, does not equate to a 100mph single vehicle impact. Head on at 25mph is the same as driving your car into a wall at the same speed - believe it or not!

Good luck with the fall out sir! I wish you a speedy return to Cat Country.....
MY16 XE 2.0 D AUTO 163PS, Ammonite Grey, Cold Climate Pack, Parking Pack, 10 way Seats, Xenon headlights

moose

Post by moose » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:53 am

Sorry to hear of your accident Andy, the main thing everybody is safe.

What you describe is very worrying as I had a front impact last year and exactly the same thing happened, no AEB, no airbags and no seatbelt pre tension. The general consensus was that I was not going fast enough for AEB or airbags but the belts should have worked. In my case I hit the steering wheel and was knocked out. Belts were checked and OK but they were replaced just in case.

Good luck with getting the repairs done, mine came back better than new but for such a low speed impact it was still the best part of 9K to repair.

Bob
R Sport 240ps Bluefire with Templar wheels. Parking pack, blind spot monitor, heated windscreen, folding mirrors, splash guards, privacy glass.

Andyhol

Post by Andyhol » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:29 am

Thanks guys I appreciate your responses and information. Bob it’s good to hear yours was better than New when repaired. I’m worried that mine won’t be.

Andyhol

Post by Andyhol » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:30 am

Oh and thanks for the good wishes too!

moose

Post by moose » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:38 am

Insist the car goes to a Jag body shop. You will probably not get a courtesy car going this route but that depends on the insurance company.

Virtually all the front end of an XE needs panels replacing if damaged as they are aluminium or plastic in the case of the nose cone. It is possible to repair panels but the cost far outweighs replacement especially as they are all bolt on.

Bob
R Sport 240ps Bluefire with Templar wheels. Parking pack, blind spot monitor, heated windscreen, folding mirrors, splash guards, privacy glass.

Andyhol

Post by Andyhol » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:07 pm

I didn’t get a choice Bob and it’s already at the Bodyshop. They have assured me they will use all Jag approved parts & materials so just have to hope they do it ok. Assuming they do repair but I think they will .

G7DCW

Post by G7DCW » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:23 pm

I wonder why the lady didn't see you. I bet it was something to do with thick, sharply-raked windscreen pillars. I find them a constant nuisance and worry.
Petrol 240 Portfolio, Dark Sapphire.

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”