Front collision why no AEB or AIR BAGS deployed?

All Jaguar XE related discussions
Andyhol

Re: Front collision why no AEB or AIR BAGS deployed?

Post by Andyhol » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:47 pm

Could be right
Formerly an XE 180d Portfolio Auto Polaris White & Light Oyster with loads of extras thanks to 1st owner :D Sadly written off so now driving an XF S 3.0 D with ICTP and lots of other toys :D

CaptainNoddy

Post by CaptainNoddy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:05 pm

moose wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:53 am
Sorry to hear of your accident Andy, the main thing everybody is safe.

What you describe is very worrying as I had a front impact last year and exactly the same thing happened, no AEB, no airbags and no seatbelt pre tension. The general consensus was that I was not going fast enough for AEB or airbags but the belts should have worked. In my case I hit the steering wheel and was knocked out. Belts were checked and OK but they were replaced just in case.

Good luck with getting the repairs done, mine came back better than new but for such a low speed impact it was still the best part of 9K to repair.

Bob
Bob, to my uneducated brain that sounds more like an inertia reel issue with your belts that the pretensioner? I would not expect the pretensioner to deploy if the airbag did not fire as they are both part of the same SRS system.

The inertia reel though is the thing that stops the belt running out when you lean forward quickly. That is what will help stop you head butting the steering wheel more than the pretensioner. The pretensioner stops you sliding under the lap section of the belt and folding yourself into the footwell.

But ultimately, airbags were developed in part because seat belts alone, with or without pretensioners, could not stop head and steering wheel
conventions occuring from time to time. It sounds like you were very unlucky and possibly just on the cusp of SRS deployment, which left you right on the lmiit of what the belts could do for you. Murphys Law I guess.....

But it is great to see you both on here passing on your experiences as they both could have been so much worse....
MY16 XE 2.0 D AUTO 163PS, Ammonite Grey, Cold Climate Pack, Parking Pack, 10 way Seats, Xenon headlights

Wastegate84

Post by Wastegate84 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:38 pm

The pre-tensioners can go off independently of the airbags. This is perfectly normal.

fred

Post by fred » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:34 pm

moose wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:53 am
Sorry to hear of your accident Andy, the main thing everybody is safe.

What you describe is very worrying as I had a front impact last year and exactly the same thing happened, no AEB, no airbags and no seatbelt pre tension. The general consensus was that I was not going fast enough for AEB or airbags but the belts should have worked. In my case I hit the steering wheel and was knocked out. Belts were checked and OK but they were replaced just in case.

Good luck with getting the repairs done, mine came back better than new but for such a low speed impact it was still the best part of 9K to repair.

Bob
Sorry about your accident..

i had to brake really hard on a motorway when someone suddenly pulled out into my lane without signalling.. It was a while ago, and at the time i was surprised didn't really feel the pretensioner . I am quite certain i felt the ABS working, but the pretensioners didn't really pull me back into my seat or at least not as forcefully as I would have expected. My only previous experience of the pretensioner was in a friend's passat, where he had to brake hard in similar circumstances . i could really feel the pretensioners pulling me into the passenger seat in that instance.

found this on the web..
http://www.automotive-fleet.com/channel ... belts.aspx

BevC

Post by BevC » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:56 pm

I suspect the AEB didn’t work as you were already braking. Mine worked when I was manoeuvring around two cars parked virtually opposite each other, so I was approaching the back end of one to get round it. My dashboard lit up (dark morning) with a number of warnings and she tried to apply the brakes. I had to then convince her I wasn’t going to drive into the parked car. I’m not sure about the airbags or seatbelts though.

Andyhol

Post by Andyhol » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:57 pm

Yes I think I did react well and probably hit them before the car had chance to do anything itself. Also she came from my front right corner so I probably saw her before the camera. I’m happy to think that at least :-)
Formerly an XE 180d Portfolio Auto Polaris White & Light Oyster with loads of extras thanks to 1st owner :D Sadly written off so now driving an XF S 3.0 D with ICTP and lots of other toys :D

Petercoll

Post by Petercoll » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:40 pm

On the subject of tracking moving cars across our paths, there was a very good article in the Advanced motorists periodical last year about research from jet fighter pilots. The conclusion is we take cameo 'shots' of things moving with our eyes, versus tracking an object like a camera. I assume inexperienced drivers take insufficient glances to attain enough 'shots' before moving, causing catastrophic results. Aluminium absorbs 50% more energy than steel in a collision. The body panels are much softer in strength than the aluminium in the chassis, thus deform further. I think also there is a 'crash box' at the front of the car, forward of the airbag sensors. Jaguars must also have Land Rover technology whereby Land Rovers can hit sand dunes, ant hills, logs etc with their noses without feeling the need for airbag deployment !! Finally, bodyshops have full training and accreditation on aluminium 'cold repairing' , which is unriveting and re-riveting all damaged parts as per done in the factory. I presume no airbag deployment means no main chassis deformity. All sympathies to you and wishing you the quickest time back on the road in your XE .
MY 18 XE 25t r-Sport , Corris Grey with rear privacy glass, 19 inch wheels, In Control Touch Pro, larger disc brakes, Adaptive Dynamics & split rear seats.

Andyhol

Post by Andyhol » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:28 pm

Thanks Peter for your kind words. I really appreciate your informative response and it gives me hope and encouragement about the repair.
Cheers
Andy

Andyhol

Post by Andyhol » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:03 am

Hi just an update on this, my car did get moved to a Jaguar Bodyshop because the aluminium chassis member on the front right was bent. They estimated over £15K to repair so the insurance Company has decided to write my lovely XE off. I wasn’t surprised because the engineer at the Bodyshop had told me that if they repaired the chassis they would have to use a different method to the factory so the repair would be noticeable by someone who knew what to look for. I was dreading negotiating the settlement figure but I was pleasantly surprised that their opening offer was £2K over what my dealer said was the part ex value (which matched Parker’s and CAP). I then managed to get another £1K so ended up £3K better than if I had part exchanged. Although I would have much preferred to have not had the accident and kept the XE which had my perfect spec and quite a unique paintwork/trim combination. I’ve consoled myself by putting down a deposit on a 66 plate XF S 3.0 Diesel so my anquish has turned to excitement. Can’t wait until next Thursday!! Sadly I won’t be able to participate in this forum as an owner any more but I will stay a member and chip in when I can. Thanks to everyone who has helped me over the last couple of years and happy XE motoring 😊

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:11 am

Aw sh*t Andy.
Sorry to hear your XE is being killed off.
At least you have that big oil burner to look forward to.
:D
I know you won't be the only XF owner who posts on here so I'm glad you are going to stick around and thanks for your contributions in the past and hopefully the future.
Current: XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”