Potholes

All Jaguar XE related discussions
sutch3

Potholes

Post by sutch3 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:06 pm

Fellow Jag Owners,

Okay... to set the stage I agree this is a stupid question but entertain me...

Just how hard do you need to hit a pothole to cause wheel damage, i.e., denting it or something else I'm sure I wouldn't want to do. I'm sure I haven't actually done this but I've hit a few that felt pretty sharp and so now I'm curious 🤔.

Cheers,
Jag XE 2.0d 180ps R-Sport Auto, Storm Grey, 19" Venom 5 Twin Spoke Silver, Black Pack, 10 Way Power Seats, Parking Pack, Privacy Glass, Sliding Panoramic Roof, Split Fold Rear Seat. Vroom vroom! 😄🏎

myquest

Re: Potholes

Post by myquest » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:06 pm

I was doing about 35 in one of my previous XKs (X150), hit a pothole, bent the front 19" wheel and immediately flattened the tyre. (Er - tire).
Luckily I had a space-saver wheel - the goo-pump would have been useless.
Took 7 months to get the money out of Hants C.C. (I'd taken photos of the offending hole and threatened court proceedings).
XE-S. MY17. Usual stuff.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:12 am

sutch3 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:06 pm
Just how hard do you need to hit a pothole to cause wheel damage, i.e., denting it or something else I'm sure I wouldn't want to do. I'm sure I haven't actually done this but I've hit a few that felt pretty sharp and so now I'm curious 🤔.
Pretty hard but the other worry is tyre damage.
Might not be obvious but on my previous XE at service they picked up a small pea-sized bulge on an inner front tyre wall that I hadn't noticed.
Probably down to a pothole.
Tyre was scrap for safety reasons so care needed even if the rim isn't damaged.
Current: XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:28 am

Our council has just alloted £4 million to repair potholes in the town. I think that will do aroud 20 the size of some. :lol: :lol: :lol:
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

richmond

Post by richmond » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:51 am

Did you read, a couple of days ago, about the chap in Devon who has given up on his cash-strapped council doing anything and is now conducting a one-man repair service on his own.
He positions his car to protect him while he works. He then brushes out all the loose debris, followed by spraying the bottom and sides with a sealant. He then fills the hole with tarmac tamping down after every inch of depth. It only takes a few minutes, and his local council are happy to let him do it. He says that his first one which he filled two years ago is as good as the day it was done. He was on hole number 201 when the news report came out.

Now if we all follow this chaps enterprising way we'll transform the roads and save our cars in one go. :D

I'm going to make a start on the M5 south of Bristol.
John
2016 XE Italian Racing Red Prestige 2.0i 200
Prev. 2011 XFS

lexie

Post by lexie » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:26 am

I've replaced two wheels, on different cars, due to pothole damage. On both occasions the impact was huge with a very large bang, although the tyres stayed infated. It's the exit from the pothole that probably does the damage, a bit like driving at a kerb head on. Because wheels are shaped like a cup with all the strength on the outside where the spokes are, the inside lip gets bent by the pothole ending up with an egg shaped wheel. The tyre can be OK and retain pressure but the rumble from a 50p shaped wheel becomes very noticeable as speed rises.
R-Sport 200ps Ammonite grey, parking pack, split fold rear seats, space saver, 14 way seats

BOBCDP

Post by BOBCDP » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:04 am

richmond wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:51 am

I'm going to make a start on the M5 south of Bristol.
When you've finished that little job could you pop over to Cardiff and perform some miracles over here?
I've got my own shovel and can bring some friends similarly equipped and we can all lean on our shovels and watch you just like the real council workers do.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,

richmond

Post by richmond » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:00 pm

If you hit or see a bad pothole you've got to inform the local council or the Highways Authority with the exact position, then they must fill it within 48hrs or they get stuck with the bill for damage to vehicles and that adds up to quite a large sum; more than the cost of filling it I would presume. You can do it all on the internet.
John
2016 XE Italian Racing Red Prestige 2.0i 200
Prev. 2011 XFS

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:27 pm

There are a few websites to guide how to make claims.
You can also check some of them to see if it has already been reported and when which can strengthen your case.
I have used "Fixmystreet" which sends the report direct to the council and you get an email from the council to confirm receipt.
It stays on there until it's fixed so good evidence if they haven't fixed it.
Current: XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:50 pm

Thanks for the "Fixmystreet" heads up. I am always on at our council to fix potholes, junk clearing etc to a point that I am a needle in their side.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”