Jaguar XE Forum banner

Renewing Incontrol after the 3 year free period ends

35K views 48 replies 17 participants last post by  XJ53C 
#1 ·
I can't find the original thread on here, but as some are coming up to the end of the 3 years there was a question about the cost of renewing incontrol to keep the app and other bits going.
I asked my salesman but he hadn't heard anything from the Jaguar side apart from there may be a 1 year free extension for early models but didn't have any more info.
I was having a nose around and found we have another "sister" forum for the Discovery Sport which I didn't know about.
Anyway, found a topic about this with some costings.
Bear in mind this is the Land Rover Incontrol and whilst we all suspect it's the same thing, our lot may stiff you for more than this but it might give a rough idea.

https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7668

#2 ·
Hi
I bought my car last year (approved used) with a 2yr warranty but the incontrol account expiry doesn't match the warranty expiry date, it expires before the warranty by 7 months.
I queried this and the dealer investigated on my behalf. Apparently there is currently no system to renew Incontrol subscriptions but they are working on it with some urgency. As more cars approach the 3 yr point this may become more of a problem. Still not sure why my warranty and Incontrol expiry date don't match.

#3 ·
Perhaps I should have put three years from the date of registration to take account of approved used cars.
I see approved used cars get a two year warranty when you buy them so if the car is already two years old then this in theory could take the warranty out to 4 years from date of reg ?
I think that could be why the end date of your incontrol and end of your warranty are out of sync.

It also seems that Jaguar have been caught with their pants down a bit on this for peeps with cars coming up to 3 years old.
Might be why they may have to extend the date as a freebie if they have nothing in place.
Fingers crossed for those affected.

#4 ·
If you buy a Jag at 2 years old and the dealer give you another 2 years, you only get a full Jag warranty till the car is 3 years and next year is not a full warranty and only pay up to £2500. Look at your warranty papework and this should be shown, (is on mine ) this is possibly why you only get incontrol till the car is 3 years old.

#5 ·
Ok, I know the 2 year warranty with an approved used car isn't as comprehensive as the original three year warranty after 3 years but this is to do with the incontrol app and registration ending once the car is 3 years old.

Teach me for putting "warranty" in the title!!!
Just changed the title to avoid any further confusion.
:D

#6 ·
PhilB said:
Perhaps I should have put three years from the date of registration to take account of approved used cars.
I see approved used cars get a two year warranty when you buy them so if the car is already two years old then this in theory could take the warranty out to 4 years from date of reg ?
I think that could be why the end date of your incontrol and end of your warranty are out of sync.

It also seems that Jaguar have been caught with their pants down a bit on this for peeps with cars coming up to 3 years old.
Might be why they may have to extend the date as a freebie if they have nothing in place.
Fingers crossed for those affected.
That doesn't stack up either Phil

I bought mine (July 2015 reg, approved used, 11 months old and 5k on the clock . The salesman had recenty joined the dealership from BMW and I don't think he had much of a clue about the XE other than the basics. In saying that, neither did I. I had a top of the range Mondeo and just happened to be browsing on Autotrader when I saw the XE. It was love at first sight and within a couple of days I had located a 180D R Sport, tried it, loved it, bought it and picked it up the following day.

There was never any mention of In Control during the buying process and it was only after a few days of ownership that I was sitting in the car pressing buttons and to my great surprise heard a voice say "Jaguar Emergency" or something similar. I was amazed and it was only then that I looked into it and discovered that I could connect the car to my iphone. I found that I had In Control Protect, Remote Premium and Secure which includes a tracker. I have no idea who paid for it, I know I didn't, but I can confirm that my subscription runs out in July 2019 so that's 4 years cover from original registration and 3 years cover from the date I bought the car in June2016.

It may be that it was included on some of the early cars as a bonus to boost sales. But very odd it was never mentioned to me.

#7 ·
Incontrol protect and remote premium are standard kit on all new Xe's.
It should last for three years from date of registration and after that the gist is that it has to be paid for which people are asking about.
If the original buyer of your car paid additionally for the secure tracker then that lasts for three years too so that's why you may have it on yours.

As to why you have an extra year then that could be down to the salesman!
:lol:

G
#9 ·
I got my approved XE 26 November 2016, it's a July 2015 car, The InControl and tracker run until 26 November 2019, so three years from purchase.

The car, despite being 16 months old only had 350 miles on it. I suspect that the original InControl and tracker had never been activated hence I have got three years, running 16 months past the cars 3 year anniversary.

Cheers

#10 ·
That fits with mine DavidW. It was registered April 2016 and I bought it in June 2016 with 200 miles on the clock (and a healthy 25% discount :) ). In control was activated when I bought it and runs to June 2019. The car however thinks its first service is due next month...

#14 ·
Reading through the above posts, I think we are getting a bit off-topic here.

The reason PhilB opened this thread was asking how to extend the Jaguar Incontrol after the initial three year period has expired, and really has nothing to do with extended warranties on second hand cars etc. As I understand it, the initial period runs from the date of the initial registration of the vehicle and expires on its 3rd birthday. I know that when I checked mine on the on the Incontrol Website today, it says that my Incontrol Protect and Incontrol Remote Premium both expire on 7/8/18 which is the car's 3rd birthday, with no mention as to how to extend it.

Has anyone heard anything from their dealer or, like me, are you just waiting for notification from Jaguar, in whatever form, as to what their plans are?

Martin.

#15 ·
Thanks Martin!
Trying to keep this one on track has been like trying to herd cats.
I saw a couple of posts previously asking if anybody had any ideas how much it would cost to renew or how to renew the Incontrol subscription when it ends.
I found a post on another forum (Land Rover) where some figures had been mentioned so I posted the link for information.
It shows the kind of notification they are getting and the prices quoted.

It seems that nobody knows what is really going on at the moment as Jaguar haven't even told the dealers but rumours are going around that the earliest cars (that are the first coming up for three years old) might get a free extension for a period of time until they sort things out.
That is all.
:D

#16 ·
Hi Phil, yes, I can see it is difficult to keep the thread on topic, let's hope people will now try to do so.

As for Jaguar, they certainly appear to be in no rush to sort this matter out but, if as you suspect, earlier cars may get a free extension, then I for one will have no complaints. :)

Time, as always, will tell.

Martin.

#17 ·
I'd be interested in this myself. For what it's worth my wife's Nissan has a similar thing (with apps, etc) and the software has a "subscription" type option that has never been enacted either, so almost 4.5 years later it's all still working as normal. Only a matter of time though until they get us all on some sort of ongoing (never ending) subscription as that's the world nowadays. At least being behind the curve is common between auto manufacturers.

#19 ·
Vespa said:
I sent JLR CRC an email a few days back but as yet not had a reply.
Don't hold your breath Vespa!! When Phil asked crc about Sat Nav updates in Feb 17 the reply came back in May :lol: :lol: :lol:

#22 ·
Look in the Remote app on your phone under 'subscriptions' and it tells you the expiry dates

G
#23 ·
I am at present wondering how to renew Remote Premium as I have renewed InControl Remote from an email notification from JLR. That was £30 but neither my dealer or JLR know how at present how to renew the Premium. I think it will be part of the rescue section in the extended warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.