Parking brake failure? mad story!

All Jaguar XE related discussions
billvega

Parking brake failure? mad story!

Post by billvega » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:47 pm

I just had a very mad incident and a lucky escape.

I Went to the petrol station to do my tyres. There was a woman already at the pump who I recognised as the mum of a kid I used to play with, mad cow she was and still is!

I waited for her to finish and she pulled away but couldn't go very far as other cars were at the petrol pumps. She edged forward enough for me to pull in to the space for pumping tyres. She then decides she is going to go out of the entrance ONLY and starts to reverse. I sounded my horn as she was about to hit the Jag. Fortunately she stopped. I reversed back which allowed her to reverse further. She looked at me and gave me the most aggresive middle finger I have ever seen. She then pulled level with my drivers door and I got out of the car to have a word.

Now, here is the interesting bit, I assume I automaticaly activated the hand brake via the button (not the gear selector for park, I'm used to doing that as that is what I used to do in my manual astra) this keeps the car in drive but applies the handbrake. I got out of the car and was standing on the pavement. The car then bleeps (warning that car door is open and car is moving) and proceeds to drive forward about 6ft hitting a parked Fiesta :o

I got back in and reversed it and turned off the engine. On inspection of the Fiesta the bottom of his boot was dented and paint cracked. Not even a scratch on the Jag!

I went in to the petrol station and found the owner who was a staff member. He looked at the damage and said don't worry about it and off he went! :? :shock: :)

Anyway, this got me thinking. How on earth was the cars handbrake on but started to move. Perhaps I didn't apply the handbrake at all? but if that was the case the car would have started moving as soon as the brake was released, which it 100% didn't.

So, I just got in my car on my drive and managed to replicate this situation by NOT applying the handbrake, putting it in drive and opening the door at the same time as releasing the brake. The car remained in drive with door open and was not moving!! However, I have attempted to replicate this again and again and can't do it.

Does anyone have any ideas about this, as I was in a moment of rage, I can't remember exactly what happened but the car was 100% stationary as I got out and off it went about 2 seconds after I got out.

So the car was defo in D, no doubt. So either:

A. I applied the parking brake via switch and it failed a few seconds later.

Or

B. The car was is in D and did not move forward after releasing the brake making me think it was in park. Something I thought was impossible but like I said earlier, I did manage to replicate it, once.

Either way, I will never get out of a car without P being selected, even if the electronic hand brake switch has been activited.

Lastly, perhaps electronic parking brake failure is what happened to that poor woman who was in the news last week that left her 2 year old in the car and it reversed back in to the river!
XE R Sport 180, MY18, Corris Grey, Black Pack/Venoms, Cold Climate, 40/20/40, Parking Pack, 10-Way Seats & 4-Way Lumbar.

G7DCW

Re: Parking brake failure? mad story!

Post by G7DCW » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:01 pm

What a tale of woe! It could have been much worse, though.

I really dislike electric parking brakes. It's hard to have any faith in them, and hard to know if they are actually working. I have never operated mine, and always put the gear selector in PARK if I want to be positively stationary. The other thing is that a parking brake should be a mechanical system which is totally separate from other braking functions. Also, if I leave my car in the garage (on the level), I prefer not to leave any brake applied, as they have a habit of sticking ON. As I type, I have two cars parked thus. The XE is in the drive with the gears in P. I have no idea whether the EPB is set or not. I hope not.
Petrol 240 Portfolio, Dark Sapphire.

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:22 pm

G7DCW wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:01 pm
What a tale of woe! It could have been much worse, though.

I really dislike electric parking brakes. It's hard to have any faith in them, and hard to know if they are actually working. I have never operated mine, and always put the gear selector in PARK if I want to be positively stationary. The other thing is that a parking brake should be a mechanical system which is totally separate from other braking functions. Also, if I leave my car in the garage (on the level), I prefer not to leave any brake applied, as they have a habit of sticking ON. As I type, I have two cars parked thus. The XE is in the drive with the gears in P. I have no idea whether the EPB is set or not. I hope not.
When you select P the epb is automatically applied
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

G7DCW

Post by G7DCW » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:30 pm

That's what the handbook says, but how do I know it actually works?

Re the OP's story, the handbook says "Automatic release of the EPB is only possible when the driver's door is closed, or the driver's seat belt is buckled."

billvega

Post by billvega » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:46 pm

I reckon the fella who's car I went in to had no insurance. I can see no other reason why he just let it go, his boot was dented and it needs a respray. There is not a single mark on the XE, I am absolutely shocked at that, must be built like a tank! The gutted feeling as it smashed in to it was horrible so to get away scott free was nothing short of a miracle.
XE R Sport 180, MY18, Corris Grey, Black Pack/Venoms, Cold Climate, 40/20/40, Parking Pack, 10-Way Seats & 4-Way Lumbar.

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:21 pm

G7DCW wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:30 pm
Because the parking brake warning light appears on the dash
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

G7DCW

Post by G7DCW » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:36 pm

That doesn't mean it's working! It means the lights work.

billvega

Post by billvega » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:40 pm

Indianajons wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:21 pm
G7DCW wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:30 pm
Because the parking brake warning light appears on the dash
Yes, the parking brake is the same whether you activate it manualy or by selecting P. The only difference is, the manual one is handy when stuck in traffic or at lights because it releases automatical once the throttle is applied. I have no idea why mine failed, and because it was in D, off it went.

robertW

Post by robertW » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:17 pm

One possibility Billvega … you reversed, stopped, applied the EPB, flicked to P, then to D. The EPB would then be off. And you then alighted.
240 Portfolio, July 2015, adaptive cruise, queue assist, advanced park, 360° cameras, folding mirrors.

billvega

Post by billvega » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:33 pm

robertW wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:17 pm
One possibility Billvega … you reversed, stopped, applied the EPB, flicked to P, then to D. The EPB would then be off. And you then alighted.
I never use P as the car auto goes to that on engine shutdown. Plus, if the above was done the car would move when my foot was removed from the brake.

I believe I reversed, stopped, put it to D with foot on brake (woman gives me the finger), i apply the epb via button, take foot of brake and car is still, get out of car then car starts moving approx 2 seconds after I get out = epb fail. I cant see any other explanation