Parking brake failure? mad story!

All Jaguar XE related discussions
ChrisGB

Re: Parking brake failure? mad story!

Post by ChrisGB » Fri May 08, 2020 9:44 pm

XJ53C wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 8:16 pm
Thanks. But seriously, are they ANY benefits from fitting an electric handbrake to a manual gearbox car?
Or any car for that matter?
S 380, ICT Pro, resale grey. Fun and comfy!

Faltwen

Post by Faltwen » Sat May 09, 2020 7:42 am

Both my cars have electric handbrake but both are auto's. One of them is 15 years old so the idea isn't a new one. (Renault scenic)
I find it very convenient at traffic lights to put handbrake on and then just set off at green with the brake releasing automatically.
As for a manual car. No way would I want an electric one. I just don't see how it can work compared to a manual lever.
2016 Jaguar XE Prestige 20T in Bluefire.
Parking pack fitted but not used.
S/S still working on original battery!n
Did have two X Types, a 2.5L then a 2.2L Auto with the dreaded DPF. No more DPF's for me.

Wastegate84

Post by Wastegate84 » Tue May 12, 2020 11:13 am

The car has hill hold assist and an auto release handbrake. What's the issue???

Option 1. Come to stop on hill, foot on brake, clutch in. Activate handbrake, foot off brake. Up to you if you select neutral etc. To pull away simply release the clutch gently, the handbrake will release and accelerate as normal.

Option 2. Come to stop on hill, foot on brake, clutch in. Keep foot pushed right down on brake. Time to go, foot off brake, clutch up and accelerate as normal. The hill hold assist keeps the brake on for up to 3 seconds but releases seamlessly when it detects torque.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Tue May 12, 2020 12:18 pm

I have not had it on this car but my VW Passat had a nasty habit of applying the handbrake if you drove too slow eg reversing into a space. A damn nuisance! Pre 2009 VW's had major troubles with the handbrake breaking up. It was a fault that persisted for several years on that model. Luckily mine was fitted with the modified version.
180 diesel XE R Sport auto, with many extras :D and working stop/start :lol: Made to work Feb 2019 by me

Faltwen

Post by Faltwen » Tue May 12, 2020 12:56 pm

Wastegate84 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:13 am
The car has hill hold assist and an auto release handbrake. What's the issue???

Option 1. Come to stop on hill, foot on brake, clutch in. Activate handbrake, foot off brake. Up to you if you select neutral etc. To pull away simply release the clutch gently, the handbrake will release and accelerate as normal.

Option 2. Come to stop on hill, foot on brake, clutch in. Keep foot pushed right down on brake. Time to go, foot off brake, clutch up and accelerate as normal. The hill hold assist keeps the brake on for up to 3 seconds but releases seamlessly when it detects torque.
Well that sounds easy enough, as I haven't had an electric one with my manual cars I couldn't compare but to be honest, if that's how it works then I would gladly have a manual with hill assist. It appears to work just like the auto box system.
2016 Jaguar XE Prestige 20T in Bluefire.
Parking pack fitted but not used.
S/S still working on original battery!n
Did have two X Types, a 2.5L then a 2.2L Auto with the dreaded DPF. No more DPF's for me.

BevC

Post by BevC » Tue May 12, 2020 4:50 pm

My previous XE was manual with the EPB. I must confess when I first bought the car I really didn’t like the idea, but my commute to work involves quite a steep hill and quite often there is a queue of traffic from bottom to top. The hill start assist was an absolute joy when I got stuck in this on a regular basis. I also liked that during the winter snow and ice I could choose to release it manually so the wheels didn’t spin. I think now I would find a manual handbrake a bit of a pain, particularly with the amount of space they take up between the seats.
Current MY2019 Corris Grey/Oyster Portfolio 180 Auto AWD
Previously MY2015 Polaris White/Ebony Prestige 163 Manual