Jaguar XE Forum banner

Number plate

9K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  KingsGambit 
#1 ·
Had my XE R-Sport 1 week and came home today to find that my front number plate has fallen off. Obviously the double sided sticky tape used by Jaguar isn't that sticky!! Would've thought the plates would be screwed on with a £38k car!!

Bit of no more nails seems to have sorted it, but might go back to dealer and ask them to screw them on.

#4 ·
That's down to the dealer who PDI'd the car.
Both mine have had the plates screwed on front and rear.
Take it back and get them to do it properly.

#5 ·
Same here - both my plates screwed on

#7 ·
Mine are srewed on as well.

Regards John

#11 ·
XES Owner said:
I guess the reason could be that they stick the number plates on is so they can be easily replaced with your personalised plates !!
If you've ever had to remove those sticky pads they stick the number plates on with you would realise they are not easily removed. 😭

#12 ·
My (personal number) plates are stuck on with some extremely strong double sided tape.

When I swapped my last car back to its original reg I destroyed the plates getting them off -
that is how strong the tape is, properly applied.

I took my own new plates with me when I collected my XE because I particularly wanted plain
plates with no screw heads visible - I hate rusty screw heads showing ! :x :x

BTW I also dislike collecting a new car with unsolicited advertising for the dealer stuck on it -
that gets removed as soon as possible !

[rant mode off]

Richard

G
#13 ·
Cheap screws will rust but there are screws that don't. Also yo can put a small blob of copperslip on the screw thread and under the screw cap cover. I hate it when cheapo dealers just fix with screws and no head cap covers at around 1p each in bulk.

#17 ·
Age old chestnut : double sided number plate tape doesn't stick properly if applied outside in the rain, or if there is dew lurking about, early morning or late in the afternoon in the open air. Applied inside a warm garage there's no way the tape can ever become unstuck later on....must be the done thing at retailers nowadays to send someone out in the cold damp air to stick on the double sided tape for the number plates. Mine are screwed in, however there is a one centimetre gouge in the paint from a Stanley knife in the recessed area, luckily not visible unless very close, and at the right angle to the light.

#20 ·
#21 ·
capese21 said:
Would you seriously want holes drilled into you "38k" XE?? My XE has stick on and no way could it be removed easily. Dome properly stick on is better imho.
Aren't the holes already there?

G
#22 ·
capese21 said:
Would you seriously want holes drilled into you "38k" XE?? My XE has stick on and no way could it be removed easily. Dome properly stick on is better imho.
The fixing holes on the rear boot lid are factory drilled and fitted with a plastic plug to assist the crew fitting. The front bumper is plastic anyway.

#23 ·
They have the holes or blanks put in at the factory to take number plates from all around the world
My previous 5 series also had the blanks but it didnt stop someone just drilling two additional holes to put self tappers in. :eek:

The holes always tend to overlap the position of the letters so yellow screw or black neither of which look correct imho.

Stick on are less likely to be stolen to.

G
#24 ·
My dealer supplied my plates with my private reg and fitted them while I waited and watched in the car park area. They fit perfectly and were straight. I assume all Jag plates are blanks from factory stock and drilled accordingly.

#25 ·
Mine are screwed on. In fact, I reordered a new front license plate because the first one I ordered and drilled, was 6mm too low on the front mount. I also got coloured screws so they don't stand out. Coincidentally, if anyone knows where I can get a license plate screw with a 50/50 split coloured cap yellow/black that would be even better!!!

In hindsight, considering the screw issues some form of adhesive would have been a good idea....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.