XE - Worst Car I've Had in Last 25 Years

All Jaguar XE related discussions
mhk1058

XE - Worst Car I've Had in Last 25 Years

Post by mhk1058 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:15 am

After 84,000 miles I can safely say both the car and the lever of service from the Jaguar franchised dealers is the worst I've had by a country mile in 25 years of having a new car every 3 years and doing over 100,000 miles in each of them (and I haven't even got that far in this XE yet)

The car itself is a 2015 XE Sport 2.0diesel:

Start/stop packed up after 1,500 miles, attempted fixes lasted a few hundred miles, gave up asking them to sort it, certainly not worth the pain of trying to get in booked in just for this.
The SatNav, which you are forced to pay for is not a patch on a £200 TomTom. Traffic alerts are buried 6 button presses in and re-routing gives you no idea where you are going to be taken or how long it will save. Did the developers actually look at the market and what's available?
Little mudflappy things in front of rear wheels fell off in the first few months (Oh yes, sir we call those winglets - no attempt to fix the problem)
Crappy rear seat releases keep falling down.
Winter driving, below about 5 C, car will suddenly randomly steam up, like driving Vauxhall Viva in the early 70's.
Clutch slipping at 40,000 miles, only at motorway speeds when you change down to accelerate and only occasionally. Mentiond at 42k service but whatever they claim they did didn't work.

62,000 miles, boom, turbo charger fell to bits and was inhaled by the engine. Rescued by Jaguar assist (who are actually very good). New engine needed, fixed under warranty (£12,000 for anyone buying one out of warranty!) at Lancaster Jaguar Swansea (Service not great there, don't expect them to get back to you when they say they will either). Oh, and by the way sir, you need a new clutch. Never needed a new clutch in a car since I was driving minis and midgets, so it's not my driving and I did tell you something wasn't right 20k miles ago!!

80,000 miles, CEL light on, air conditioning packed up. Booked it in. The overall level of service is so bad I could go on for many words but suffice to say just getting Lancaster Jaguar in Reading to answer the phone is a surprise! 6 weeks lead time to book it in if you can get to speak to them. Never, ever, get back to you when they say they will. 84,000 miles by the time they could look at it. On arrival, waited 25 minutes to be booked in with my allocated service person while 5 other people with nothing better to do chatted and moaned about their lot. Oil leak from turbo. Turns out there is a screw/bolt loose inside the turbo! Bright spark highly trained Jaguar service personnel initially reckon this has been sucked in off the road (through the air filter? Really?) After 24 hours of wrangling, they admitted it was a Jaguar screw and only explanation it was left there during the engine/turbo replacement in Swansea.

Now the problems start, Lancaster in Reading aren't going to pay for turbo number 3, I'm certainly not going to pay for it, Stratstone apparently have no Service Manager at the moment so no one can find anyone prepared to admit responsibility/liability and pay for it their end. The car has been there a week now and I'm due to go to France in it next week for 2 weeks/2,500 miles and have very little confidence i having the car back by then, never mind it actually making it without incident if I did. Someone was supposed to call me yesterday morning but nothing yet.

This has been my first Jaguar and absolutely my last, never, ever again, back to Audi and BMW, neither of which has ever let me down having done over 100,000 in each of eight different cars since the early 90's. My wife's 14 year old Audi is better, nothing major has gone wrong with it in the 5 years we've owned it and it as 120k on the clock.

Now driving a borrowed Mercedes E220, much more refined, the engine noise inside the cabin is non-existent, much quieter than the XE and has reminded me just how much better German cars are, sad as I am to admit it. I tried to be loyal to British built, employing ex-service personnel etc etc but I just can't do with the hassle and awful customer service. New BMW is on order an I can't wait, I get a little sentimental watching cars going after many miles behind the wheel, they've protected you like an old friend but I shall be very, very happy to se the back of this one.
XE 2.0d 180 R-Sport
Ammonite Grey
Black Pack
Privacy Glass
Meridian 380w 11 Speaker Sounds
Taurus Sports Leather Jet/Red
Bi-Xenon Headlights with LED running lights
40/20/40 Split folding rear seats
19" 5 twin spoke star alloy wheels

capese21

Re: XE - Worst Car I've Had in Last 25 Years

Post by capese21 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:11 pm

I jumped ship from a 2 year old BMW F10 after 25k ,, door corosion, numerous rattles, blocked drains water sloshing around leaking into the interior dealers no idea why, engine holding back & missing & constant feeling that the cam chain would snap as many have although think it had the later engine but never knew for sure. Then the huge recall for fires and cutting out although mine was not affected in the end.

It may seem trivial but It did not have sync button for the heater so always having to press two buttons. :oops:

More than two short journeys and the DPF regen would chug away and vibrate and it even seemed to do it after a long motorway run to. Really got on my nerves. Very slow out of junctions with no get up & go.

I was not impressed with the idrive either. It had Proline wide screen but a pita to change music source and dialing in a destination with a swivel wheel changing from letter to numbers on different screens was also a pita.

Would not show album art but with the same USB stick the XE does yipee!!

The BMW base speakers were awful so mnuch so i paid to have some better ones installed. The plastic made in china ones they removed had to be seen to be believed. Why BMW why on a Luxury spec car with upgraded Proline ice system??

I have the base system in the XE and imho far better than Proline BMW.

A touch screen feels modern & intuative compared to a swivel wheel moving around a screen to.

So far loving the XE no problems in 23k and a far nicer car to drive than the BMW mind that was a 520d and noisy and drove like a canal barge wallowing around corners & not even comfortable over bumpy roads. Apparently without adaptive dampers they dont drive very well which I would agree with.

I went back to petrol with the XE & glad I did as only about 5mpg difference and it drives like a sports saloon thank goodness and no DPF regen mode every 5 minutes!!

Sorry to hear about you XE woe but as I said all makes produce a duff ones on occasion.

richmond

Post by richmond » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:20 pm

You've had a raw deal with your XE but that's no reason to desert to German cars, they can produce poor disasters just like all car makers. It also looks like you've had very poor service from your dealer and you can get this just the same with German brands.
Before you commit yourself to a particular model have a look at the forums for them. You'll see just as many people complaining about how many faults there are and how lousy the service is.
John
2016 XE Italian Racing Red Prestige 2.0i 200
Prev. 2011 XFS

mhk1058

Post by mhk1058 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:22 pm

Well, unfortunately I have to take as I find. It's not the worst by a little bit; with the mechanical problems combined with the customer service level at two different dealerships it's the worst by a a considerable margin. I appreciate all cars have problems of some sort but based on my experience, and that's all I can go on, Jaguar do not deserve my business, not even a little bit. 2 whole days now since I last spoke to the dealer without so much as a courtesy call to say what is going on, tried to call them this PM, actually got through but cut off while on hold, then could only get the answerphone. Now emailed the MD at Lancaster, Stratstone and copied in Jaguar UK.
XE 2.0d 180 R-Sport
Ammonite Grey
Black Pack
Privacy Glass

BrianS

Post by BrianS » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:46 pm

Sorry you seem to have had a double whammy of a bad car and car dealer. I hear nightmare stories with all sorts of cars and dealers. Does seem the early models had lots of problems. Personally I would never buy a new model until its into the third year at least to allow all the design flaws to be ironed out. BMW, Audi, Mercedes etc aren't great in the reliability ratings. If you want reliability and good customer service it seems a Skoda is the way to go, which is basically a VW.
XE 250PS Portfolio 67 Narvic Black, Pro system, parking pack

mhk1058

Post by mhk1058 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:52 pm

Yes, I was actually thinking of the new Passat hybrid but they have been so popular that VW have stopped taking orders. Then again, you are right re new models, never again.
XE 2.0d 180 R-Sport
Ammonite Grey
Black Pack
Privacy Glass

UV Blue

Post by UV Blue » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:33 am

MHK1058 A neighbour of mine has exactly the same variant as you and before I bought my XE I asked him about his experience. He said it was the worst car he had ever had and was only waiting for his finance lease deal to expire then he was getting rid. It spooked me a bit but then I've had a couple of BMW's and I know there are always some problems. I spoke candidly to a tech at a Jaguar dealer about this and he admitted there were problems with the first models, specially the diesel variant and that now the issues were sorted. Buying a new model is never without risks as I found with my last car, three years on and that car is now the car it should have been at launch. There's a wise old saying that goes "The pioneers get the arrows, the settlers get the land" how true that is.
Jaguar XE-S / 3.0L Supercharged V6 380bhp / Ultimate Black / 20" 'Propeller' alloys / HUD / Black Pack Pics

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:24 am

My Xe was number 481 off the assembly line. I had a few faults and expected them being a new model. The faults were always sorted by my dealer with the exception of the stop/start. The car is now top notch and a pleasure to drive. Consider another make if you wish and I suggest Korean or Japanese cars, as they seem to have a lower moan rate. After one German car I wouldn't touch another with a barge pole being unreliable a 2 rubbish dealers. I have a neighbour with a new Citroen that sounds like a bag of spanners in a tumble dryer. Likewise my next door neighbour has an AMG Merc that has also not been fault free.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

capese21

Post by capese21 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:01 pm

Cars are about trust and once that tust has been lost it is best to get rid and move to another make imho. So far my XE 23k miles is all good. No idea what the deler is like as I have not had to use them.

It does have an old hat but reliable Ford engine in it though!!

Ed.

DavidW

Post by DavidW » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:36 pm

Mine is the same model etc as yours, a July 2015 car.

It’s had a few warranty items, all have been sorted, some have taken longer than others BUT all have been done by my dealer without question, no arguing as I’ve found will all my previous cars.

It drives well, I have no issues with the satnav (it has taken me to many remote places), the only things that may make me change it is the finance has a MGFV, so if the car is worth less than the final payment I will simply hand it back.

But I understand a bit of where you are coming from, my last car was a new Mazda 6, first brand new car I’ve had. It was a bag of nails. I was at the garage with it more in the 16 months of ownership than I was for my previous 3 cars in total (10 years worth of ownership). To compound the problems the dealer was useless, never believed what they were told and simply did not put things right. In the end Mazda U.K. paid me mileage to go to another dealer and paid me compensation. But the damage was done by then so I dumped the car at a loss and moved on.

I think a total package is needed, by that the right car and a dealer that is competent, ALL manufacturers produce vehicles with problems (for example a colleague got a new Mercedes, within two months the engine was taken out, stripped and rebuilt, it was never the same again). It’s how the issues are dealt with that is important.

Good luck in whatever you choose.
R-Sport 180 (MY 16) in Odyssey Red, jet/red seats with jet headlining, cold climate pack, rear parking camera, wifi hotspot (previously not used, now keeps children entertained on long journeys) electric seats, splash guards and a detachable tow bar

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”