Jaguar XE Forum banner

I Love Climate Control

11K views 50 replies 16 participants last post by  Anonymous 
#1 ·
Having had climate control before, when I bought my XE I asked how often it needed to be serviced and was told 3 yearly. When it was cold and bleak at the beginning of May I arranged for her to go in to be serviced and regassed (on offer too). I could see by the looks on their faces that they thought I was crazy - well we don't usually get warm weather in summer. When I got in this evening and pressed my start button my display told me it was 37C and we didn't get below 30C all the way home. After a short distance my cooling system was ice cold and I was kept at a lovely 21C all the way home. I am so glad I had it done.

#3 ·
I have to agree, The XE is the first car that I have had that has cooled seats. Here in Melbourne 37C is not uncommon (nor is 42C for that matter) at the height of summer, so they were a very welcome addition.

Thanks for the re-gassing tip. I'll be sure to have it done in time for the summer of 2019/20.

#4 ·
My last five cars have had climate control running all the time (summer & winter) & have all worked fine without re-gassing or 'steralising', despite being 'advised' by the garage that it should be done

#5 ·
Indianajons said:
My last five cars have had climate control running all the time (summer & winter) & have all worked fine without re-gassing or 'steralising', despite being 'advised' by the garage that it should be done
Yep, my last three have had the climate on the whole time (20 years :eek: ), and never needed re-gassing, despite being Vauxhalls.

It does look like the internet folklore that using it keeps it working can be true for climate control.

Now watch mine fail this weekend, when I've got to drive to Manchester and back :lol:

#6 ·
I think things have moved on a bit with aircon since the older days when the folklore first appeared.
I don't use aircon in the winter at all.
The car pumps heat out within a mile of starting up (might be the big engine and I did notice a diesel loaner took considerably longer to start warming up) and heats until it reaches the set temps.
I only use aircon in the summer when temps get very high as I'm from a generation before aircon was on most cars here and we are used to opening the windows! :D
I'm not keen on the santised bubble that I find with everything sealed up.
The other day I gave in and bearing in mind the aircon had not been run for the best part of a year, it worked perfectly.
Pressed "Auto" and it worked.
First time, all vents pumping out cold air and no weird smells.
I don't think it is as "fragile" that some would have you believe.

#7 ·
Having moved from an old 406 where the aircon was busted, it has been a welcome relief to get in a car when the temp shows 35+ when i get in and within a few minutes i'm nice and cool. Opening the windows was no use in the 406 as i had to fight my way through traffic until i got to an open stretch!

B-)

#8 ·
Like others, I almost never switch my Climate Control off - and it helps greatly with demisting in winter (my poor XE lives outside). I've done this with my last several cars, and I've had no re-gassing nor any aircon failures. The only unintended effect I've had is that continued use of the aircon does seem to persuade the Stop/Stop to NEVER work - a distinct advantage in my book. For whatever reason, I've recently discovered that if I switch the Aircon off, even for a brief period, the Stop/Start then works spasmodically, including when the aircon is switched back onto Auto - for a while.

G
#9 ·
The first car I had with aircon was my Rover 45 V6 and I knew nothing about aircon regassing until 7 years in to ownership and it wasn't feeling as cool as it did. £60 regas at Kwikfit and it worked fine ever after (about 3 years) The next car a VW Passat I had regassed twice, just to be on the safe side. A waste of money I bet. So as my XE is now 3 years old and the aircon working perfectly I will skip any top ups/regassing until it feels it's not working too well. I sterilise the system intakes with a product from Euro car parts. One can does about 5 cleans.

#10 ·
PhilB said:
I think things have moved on a bit with aircon since the older days when the folklore first appeared.
I don't use aircon in the winter at all.
The car pumps heat out within a mile of starting up (might be the big engine and I did notice a diesel loaner took considerably longer to start warming up) and heats until it reaches the set temps.
I only use aircon in the summer when temps get very high as I'm from a generation before aircon was on most cars here and we are used to opening the windows! :D
I'm not keen on the santised bubble that I find with everything sealed up.
The other day I gave in and bearing in mind the aircon had not been run for the best part of a year, it worked perfectly.
Pressed "Auto" and it worked.
First time, all vents pumping out cold air and no weird smells.
I don't think it is as "fragile" that some would have you believe.
Aircon and climate control are two different things... aircon just blows cold (or hot) air to reach a set temperature whereas climate control combines air from the aircon, heater and fresh air from outside to create different temperature zones in the car (warm feet, cool head). The clunking noise from behind the dashboard that people often complain about is various flaps opening and closing as operated by the climate control.

#11 ·
How do you set different temperatures for face, feet etc?
I can alter the airflow rate to each area but the only temperature difference I can set is between driver/passenger.

#12 ·
I use climate control all year round but just adjust the temparature to suit the conditions and let it adjust itself automatically. The compressor cycles itself as required. The aircon system drys the air so is effective at demisting the screen far quicker than waithing for heat to build up.

It also keeps damp winter air dryer while traveling especially with more passengers keeping the interior mist free.

My father in-law had a top of the range car but would not use climate control as he thought it used more fuel, wouldnt put more than one CD into the 6 disc changer wouldnt use the memory seats......... :lol:

I remeber my Grandmother who kept the TV remote on top of the TV and for years struggled to get up to change the channel :lol:

#13 ·
Like many I suffer from hay fever so driving in a sterile environment during the summer months is a godsend.

#14 ·
Anyone know why after I have selected Aircon and Auto, I cannot turn Auto off, pressing button, it goes off and then straight back on, I have a feeling its something I am not doing correctly.

#15 ·
147daytona said:
I can alter the airflow rate to each area but the only temperature difference I can set is between driver/passenger.
You can't, climate control does it automatically using temperature sensors at different levels in the car

#16 ·
Repairman said:
Anyone know why after I have selected Aircon and Auto, I cannot turn Auto off, pressing button, it goes off and then straight back on, I have a feeling its something I am not doing correctly.
I used to think it was a problem too but this forum set me straight. Press something else, like fan speed for example, and that will turn the auto off.

#17 ·
Indianajons said:
147daytona said:
You can't, climate control does it automatically using temperature sensors at different levels in the car
But how does it know you want warm feet and a cool face if you can't set anything to tell it so.
When I have the aircon on, I often find my body is a nice temperature but my feet are freezing.
If I set the distribution manually and close the feet vents off, the car doesn't get cool enough.

#19 ·
147daytona said:
Indianajons said:
147daytona said:
But how does it know you want warm feet and a cool face if you can't set anything to tell it so.
When I have the aircon on, I often find my body is a nice temperature but my feet are freezing.
If I set the distribution manually and close the feet vents off, the car doesn't get cool enough.
It doesn't have to 'know' it's the way all climate control is programmed to work on auto.... blow cooler air from the face vents to keep the driver alert. If you mess about with the manual controls then it won't do what it's supposed to do. You need all the vents open & climate set to auto, not just aircon, to achieve the correct temperature gradient

#20 ·
mdem said:
Repairman said:
I used to think it was a problem too but this forum set me straight. Press something else, like fan speed for example, and that will turn the auto off.
Thank you

#21 ·
I only try to use Air Con when its really hot in the summer but can any one tell me why when i put on for max defrost for the rear screen and mirrors, ( I do not have demist front screen, but have the heated steering wheel and warm seats) the Aid Con comes on at the same time even when i have chosen a cabin temperature of 26.0c when 28.0c is the maximum.. I have to switch off the Air Con as it seem wrong having it on trying to cool the cabin space down and fighting against the heater. Jag is now 3 yrs 5 mts and had it for 1 yr 5mts. Premium 2.0 petrol folding mirrors. Drive it in economy mode all the time and Cruise control as much as possible.

G
#23 ·
Using the air con is the fastest way to demist (if you don't have heated glass) as the dry air will absorb (probably the wrong word) the condensation much quicker than damp air.

My air con goes on when I drive out of the showroom and stays on until the next owner turns it off.

Only using it when its very hot (that 1 day a year) will ruin it, the seals well perish and the gas will leak.

#24 ·
Britannia said:
I only try to use Air Con when its really hot in the summer but can any one tell me why when i put on for max defrost for the rear screen and mirrors, ( I do not have demist front screen, but have the heated steering wheel and warm seats) the Aid Con comes on at the same time even when i have chosen a cabin temperature of 26.0c when 28.0c is the maximum.. I have to switch off the Air Con as it seem wrong having it on trying to cool the cabin space down and fighting against the heater. Jag is now 3 yrs 5 mts and had it for 1 yr 5mts. Premium 2.0 petrol folding mirrors. Drive it in economy mode all the time and Cruise control as much as possible.
If you are pressing the "Max" defrost button then that is a preset which will turn the aircon on as well to clear the screens together with the normal heated screen as fast as possible.
If like me you aren't using the aircon at this time of year then you can go into the climate control settings and set the airflow to screen (if it wasn't already) then turn the fan up to max as well.
Opening the driver's window an inch or so will also help as has been seen on here before.

PaulC said:
Only using it when its very hot (that 1 day a year) will ruin it, the seals well perish and the gas will leak.
I take it you are speaking from personal experience?
I only use the aircon in the summer for cooling and i haven't had any issues with loss of gas or the effectiveness of the aircon.

#25 ·
I really can't see the point of having a car with climate control and then fiddling with the manual controls in the belief you can achieve a better result. Just press the auto button, select the desired temperature(s) and let the sensors determine how to use the aircon, heater, vents and fan to achieve the perfect temperature gradient. Simples!

#26 ·
Indianajons said:
I really can't see the point of having a car with climate control and then fiddling with the manual controls in the belief you can achieve a better result. Just press the auto button, select the desired temperature(s) and let the sensors determine how to use the aircon, heater, vents and fan to achieve the perfect temperature gradient. Simples!
"Climate control" is the generic term for the various systems that allow owners to change the heating/cooling, airflow direction and strength in the car.
We all have "climate control" as you need to switch it on to have the ability to change temps etc so we are still using it without the aircon being on.
Some may choose not to use the airconditioning system due to personal preference or as they find their particular needs are perfectly suited without using it.
Plus I don't have to fiddle with any manual controls as mine is set perfectly for this time of year each time I start it up.
Just because you don't see the point of not using aircon it doesn't mean others shouldn't have their personal choice also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.