Sods law

All Jaguar XE related discussions
Vespa

Sods law

Post by Vespa » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:35 pm

Well I supose it had to happen at some time but I managed to damage my front passenger side alloy and tyre. We were entering a car park in Landudno and in the centre of the in section was a pothole. I deliberatley came ti one side of it and turned a fraction too early and clipped the very end of a kerb edging just out of view. If I had literally had gone one more inch furthur I would have missed it. Now I have a damaged tyre as it took a chunk out of the sidewall next to the rim and scuffed the top and a fraction of the rim side. That's the first time in 17 years I have been daft enough to be too cautious and damage an alloy. The repair is £120 inc vat and a new tyre is £150. :( :x
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

UV Blue

Re: Sods law

Post by UV Blue » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:58 am

I feel your pain Vespa. I spend time avoiding kerbs and tend to forget about the potholes. The first week I had the car I went down a pot hole and scuffed the front driver alloy, Grrrr! we can avoid kerbing with a bit of care but sometimes potholes are unavoidable and they don't look so bad when they are filled with water ...until you hit one!
Jaguar XE-S / 3.0L Supercharged V6 380bhp / Ultimate Black / 20" 'Propeller' alloys / HUD / Black Pack Pics

BOBCDP

Post by BOBCDP » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:52 pm

Oh dear!! Unfortunate, but there can't be many drivers who don't kerb their alloys at some time. I congratulate you Vespa if you've only done it once in 17 years. I must confess I have done it quite a few times over the years but then I was doing over 30,000 miles a year before I retired. I have bashed the Jag ones a couple of times but I just use some silver paint from Halfords to cover it up. I just know if I got them repaired, it would happen again immeditely once again proving Sods Law :D :D
MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:20 am

Mine are diamond cut as well.

Domfow

Post by Domfow » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:47 am

I took the Alloy wheel protection offered, £300 for 3 years cover and 18 repairs allowed. Given the cost to repair one alloy and the state of British roads, it's a good policy, touch wood not used yet, but on my previous X Type I did an alloy with only 2 weeks to go before trading in and that cost more than £300. I now won't got for low profile alloys, go for higher wall tyres, the potholes on Motorways will now destroy the average alloy, having that extra side wall is more of a cushion.
Jaguar XE Portfolio 163ps manual Bluefire with Oyster leather, extras: xenon, reverse camera, heated screen, upgrade matts, dim mirrors

richmond

Post by richmond » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:59 am

Vespa wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:35 pm
Well I supose it had to happen at some time but I managed to damage my front passenger side alloy and tyre. We were entering a car park in Landudno and in the centre of the in section was a pothole. .........The repair is £120 inc vat and a new tyre is £150. :( :x
Do you have a claim against the car park operators? I suppose there was a notice somewhere about 'using it at your own risk', but if this happened before you could see the notice then you have a claim.
John
2016 XE Italian Racing Red Prestige 2.0i 200
Prev. 2011 XFS

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:14 am

It was really my own stupid fault. The pothole I avoided was slightly to the right in the entrance and I thought that I had enough room to sqeeze past. On missing the pothole I misjudged the turn as there is a kerb to the entrance wich is not sunken at the end and that was out of my view. I actually hit the very end of it which happened to be right on the edge of my tyre and wheel. Literally one inch either way may have avoided it happening. Anyway the tyre was damaged so I decided to get two new fronts today and both were showing signs of edge cracking and cracking inside the tread depth. There was about 4-4.5mm left on both. One also showed signs of thin wire snapped off in the tread (not beading). I am very fastidious about my cars and particularly brakes and tyres. On checking the rears they also had similar cracking. As they were coming up to 5 years old (2014dated) and the fact that they were cracking I ordered two rears at a knockdown £110 each. All will now be Jag fit Pirelli P7.

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”