XE end of life in 2023, autocar article.

All Jaguar XE related discussions
bob_mcn

Re: XE end of life in 2023, autocar article.

Post by bob_mcn » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:24 am

Now this could be a future engine worth considering... The dearman engine, powered by liquid nitrogen. 8-)

https://dearman.co.uk/dearman-technolog ... an-engine/
Bob McN.
Oct'16 to Oct'18: Caesium Blue, Portfolio 240, MY2017, selection of addons.
Oct'18 onwards : Caldera Red, XE 300 Sport, MY2019, bigger selection of addons
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6930&start=20#p77545

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:35 am

bob_mcn wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:24 am
Now this could be a future engine worth considering... The dearman engine, powered by liquid nitrogen. 8-)

https://dearman.co.uk/dearman-technolog ... an-engine/
That sounds good and there is likely a "BUT". How is the gas liquified and at what cost? Is there pollution in liquifying the air or nitrogen? What power can be achieved in terms of acceleration? I may have missed something in the blurb, but it does sound a great idea.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:04 pm

If according to the "plan under consideration" the F-Type is being killed off early in 2020 then what is this all about?

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-shots/jaguar/f-type/
XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

robertW

Post by robertW » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:46 pm

I'll only believe it if there is a report in the Daily Telegraph
240 Portfolio, July 2015, adaptive cruise, queue assist, advanced park, 360° cameras, folding mirrors.

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:17 pm

From what I understand, the Dearman engine is being developed to run the refrigerator units on HGV refrigerated trailers, no mention of it being developed as a motor vehicle propulsion unit.

What has happened to the hydrogen fuel cell powered vehicles? I thought that was going to be the next big thing but it all seems to have gone very quiet.
MY17 240 R-Sport, IRR, Black Pack, Park Pack, Cold Climate Pack, 19" Twin 5 Spokes, Jet/Red Interior, 10 Way + Lumbar, Split Rear Seat, ICT Pro, Illuminated Tread Plates, Configurable Mood Lighting, Alloy Paddles & Pedals, Homelink, Spare Wheel.

Gojira

Post by Gojira » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:03 pm

Let me see... the XE was launched in 2015, is expected to get a facelift in 2019 as I understand it (probably just after I get mine), and there is talk of it being end-of-life in 2023?

Colour me unsurprised ;)

the question is, surely, not so much are Jag going to stop producing the current XE, as what are they going to replace it with?

I hope there will still be a small, sports saloon in the range, as well as all the SUVs that arre flavour of the month, and if there is, I'd be surprised if there weren't full electric and hybrid versions. I'd be happiest with a proper petrol version too, but a lot will happen in the car market in the next 4-5 years, most of it difficult to predict....
Waiting to retire, so I can buy a Portfolio 250, with all the toys I can sneak past SWMBO :lol:

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:52 pm

147daytona wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:17 pm
What has happened to the hydrogen fuel cell powered vehicles? I thought that was going to be the next big thing but it all seems to have gone very quiet.
Hyundai will have the new Nexo on sale in the new year.
https://www.hyundai.co.uk/new-cars/nexo
They tested it on 5th Gear a couple of weeks ago.
Trouble is there are very few filling stations/pumps so the take up of the cars are slow so they aren't building many pumps, so the take up of the cars is slow............and repeat etc etc.
New pump opened at Beaconsfield Services on the M40 near me a few months ago but the network is still very limited.

The nexo is second generation so a lot better than the previous one Hyundai did.
But until the demand is there then costs will remain high and choices limited.
It really is a no-brainer as the Nexo has a range of up to 500 miles on a tank full and can fill it's tank in about 5 minutes.

They have also developed solar powered filling stations that crack water to produce the hydrogen so no pollution involved at all.
The car just produces moisture.
Apparently Germany are ahead of us and are actively promoting hydrogen and are rolling out the solar powered fuel stations.
XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.

richmond

Post by richmond » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:25 pm

Last Saturday's Telegraph had an interesting article about driving the new Mercedes F-Cell which has an hydrogen fuel cell engine with a small battery backup capability. It has a 300 mile range and a top speed of 100mph, 0-62mph in 9.2 secs. But the writer says that Mercedes are not planning to put it into production because of costs and poor refuelling infrastructure. They're going for battery power despite the Chinese strangle-hold on their production.
John
2016 XE Italian Racing Red Prestige 2.0i 200
Prev. 2011 XFS

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:06 pm

I was watching some reviews of the Nexo on Yootoob and one was pretty interesting about the infrastructure.
Apparently in S.Korea where they were doing the test drives there were only a handful but a lot more underway.
The coach they were using was a Hyundai fuel cell job and was a simple conversion from the car by adding more tanks and motors.
But the point was made that the Germans are rolling out a significant number of new stations (I think 40 odd?) across the country.
Once the infrastructure is there then sales will take off.

Fourwheels

Post by Fourwheels » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:14 pm

Vespa, taking your suggestion a stage further.
Electric cars will be front wheel drive.
Rear wheels will be on a bogey containing rechargeable AA batteries (generally known as 'automobile arse' and interchangeable between all car manufacturers).
Panoramic roofs will be replaced by solar panels but on long journeys and dark days occupants will be encouraged to stick copper electrodes into oranges, apples and pears to produce additional charging current.
Failing that, there are already toy cars that you drag backwards before they whiz forward at breakneck speed.
Previously Jaguar XE Portfolio 2015

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”