XE end of life in 2023, autocar article.

All Jaguar XE related discussions
DaiB

Re: XE end of life in 2023, autocar article.

Post by DaiB » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:18 pm

Why don't Jaguar in their adverts extol the good side of the latest diesels? My 2017MY 2.0 Diesel is 25% more fuel efficient than my previous 2.2D X-Type and has low CO2 emissions and with AdBlue presumably quite low NOx. There is no need to rush to electric. It sounds like the end-game for Jaguar cars unless they understand how to sell their cars. They are good products but the general public doesn't know that they exist but there are loads of XEs and XFs on the road so if the factory has low output where are they all coming from?

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:30 pm

I think Jag need a small sports hatch, a bit like the Merc A class or BMW 1 series. If there is a market for these German cars there must be a market for a Jag equivalent.
Bazzamf - XE 200 Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black

JiggyJag

Post by JiggyJag » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:45 pm

PhilB wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:16 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol:
That made my coffee come out of my nose.
:D
Same here :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: but tea in my case :roll: :roll: :roll:
Curr: MY18 XE Portfolio 250 RWD, Loire blue / Oyster, parking pack, folding mirrors, spare wheel, splash guards
Prev: MY17 XE Prestige 180 Auto, Odyssey red / Latte, parking pack, heated screen, pano roof, folding mirrors, spare wheel, splash guards

Petercoll

Post by Petercoll » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:44 am

Fact : Adblue takes a huge quantity of CO2 out of the world’s atmosphere to manufacture, is supplied for oil tanker power units as well, so car supply is quite a sideline. The average distance of a British car journey is 6 miles .....6 miles of cold Diesel engine running, and we’re back to square 1 = huge inefficient dirty fuel burning, as diesels need to be hot to burn efficiently ! Ninety percent of JLR sales used to be Diesel engines. Their best selling models of Evoque and Discovery Sport nonetheless drive better under load with diesel power units over petrol, whether it be they do short or long journeys . The rest of the ninety percent generally need high efficiency for higher mileages, e.g. Jaguar XE 2.0d users. These cars sales seem to be diving. Why ? I had a London taxi ride in a Mercedes diesel Vito today. The Mercedes diesel power plant almost shook me clean out of my seat it was so unpleasant. Ideal for 70 mph to Heathrow I’m sure, but the British equivalent purrrs it’s way smoothly round London by comparison. So I think does the Ingenium 2.0d by comparison , bar Volvo.
MY 18 XE 25t r-Sport , Corris Grey with rear privacy glass, 19 inch wheels, In Control Touch Pro, larger disc brakes, Adaptive Dynamics & split rear seats.

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:37 am

I am sure that Mercedes do have decent diesels but the A class next door sounds like a tractor without an exhaust hot or cold. I am told that the majority of Mercedes car diesels are badged Renult engines.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

spritely

Post by spritely » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:47 pm

Bazzamf wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:30 pm
I think Jag need a small sports hatch, a bit like the Merc A class or BMW 1 series. If there is a market for these German cars there must be a market for a Jag equivalent.
My thoughts exactly. I am however disgusted and annoyed that our wonderfull government were suggesting only back in around 2011 that everybody should get diesel vehicles to save the planet etc - now we diesel drivers are the biggest villains. Grrrr
Electric cars may be the future - but only once the needed infrastrucure is in place to support them, and also there mileage between charges etc needs to improve. There are many sides to this story, but we all need to make an effort to save our planet.
Corris Grey 180D R sport - loving it.

ianbruce

Post by ianbruce » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:22 am

Considering that biomass is supposed to be a "green" fuel - although I don't quite following the reasoning as I am told that standing trees absorb CO2, whereas burning them releases CO2 (and no doubt I am completely misunderstanding the chemistry involved having listened eagerly to too many politicians who clearly do understand such complexities) maybe a wood burning steam car would be an option..... advantages would include the nostalgic smell of hot steam oil, having two people in each car so you could use the relevant road lanes during rush hour - Not sure that my wife would be too keen on stoking the boiler though

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:27 am

I read that woodburners are now a target for "emissions" certainly in the Greater London area with Mr Mayor wanting to ban them.
That will really annoy the Hampstead and Primrose Hill "stripped pine and Habitat" luvvies!
:lol:
XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

ianbruce

Post by ianbruce » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:36 am

hmmmm Looks like Drax may have to shut down then....

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:53 am

ianbruce wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:36 am
hmmmm Looks like Drax may have to shut down then....
I thought he was killed by James Bond in "Moonraker" ?
XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”