Favorite Petrol Fuel?

All Jaguar XE related discussions
kkrazy

Re: Favorite Petrol Fuel?

Post by kkrazy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:35 pm

Currently use Shell V-Power+ and full tanked the lady at £1.49 a litre here in Peterborough! Yea, I'm wondering if the fuel saver alternative is adequate at 13p a litre cheaper...

I can afford it, and regularly get over 400 miles per fill up (not had any long drives lately), but its roughly £15 over two full tanks...
Jaguar XE R-Sport 2.0 i4 Ingenium 20t MY18, Firenze Red, de-badged, ICT Pro (with digital instrument cluster), 14-way seats with bolster, customise-able mood lighting, heated steering wheel, free awesomeness
First Jaguar :D

BrianS

Post by BrianS » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:27 pm

ive a 250Ps and stick with Shell Vpower - its only 9 to 10p a litre more than standard unleaded. Whether it makes a difference or not performance wise I'm not sure, I tend to think better for the engine long term as has cleaner in. When spending 30K plus on a car I tend to think a few quid extra a year on petrol doesn't touch the sides. Get more air mile points as well!
XE 250PS Portfolio 67 Narvic Black, Pro system, parking pack

BRC

Post by BRC » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:53 am

Yet more fuel for thought from Mr. J.C. and for my money his observation in regards his lawnmower says it all. Fast forward to around the 7 minute point if you've got limited viewing time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfJNz04bWg4

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:23 am

Jaguar recommend the use of "Premium" unleaded fuel with a minimum of 95 octane in petrol engined versions.
"Premium" seems to equate with the main companies here (Shell, BP and Esso) as being the higher octane stuff around 98+ (although I'm sure someone will find "Premium" unleaded that is 95 octane :roll: ).
So I guess you pays your money and takes your choice.
From the good book:

Screenshot_2018-10-18 Jaguar Owner Information.png

XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Bluefire

Post by Bluefire » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:47 am

I tend to go more by pops and crackles now with the F-Type - I used BP once which I think is 97 ron and got good results - but it might just have been the atmospherics - like Concorde going over :)

If anything we should be more concerned by the ethanol content, especially with its ability to eat rubber and the like in classic car fuel systems.
2.0 200 Bluefire R-Sport
Templar wheels, Meridian sound, Advanced parking, Climate pack + Heated rear, Aluminium Paddles - of course :)

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:58 am

Bluefire wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:47 am
I tend to go more by pops and crackles now with the F-Type - I used BP once which I think is 97 ron and got good results - but it might just have been the atmospherics - like Concorde going over :)

If anything we should be more concerned by the ethanol content, especially with its ability to eat rubber and the like in classic car fuel systems.
I normally use V-Power but on my long trips my regular "pit stop" places have changed fuel.
I have to say that mine really liked the BP Ultimate but the Esso wasn't anything special.
XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.

PaulC

Post by PaulC » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:22 am

I think that snip in the big book is more referring to the American market as their fuel is crap over there (91 ron as standard I think?). They class 95 as premium, where as that's pretty much standard over here in the UK. 98 is 'premium' or 'super' in the UK.

If it makes the car go and you're happy with it, why worry?
Jaguar XE S [380PS] | Jaguar F-Type R [550PS] | Aston Martin Vantage [510PS] | VW Golf GTI [150PS] | Skoda Fabia [sod all]

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:01 am

It's actually from the UK online manual and I've also checked the hardcopy in the glovebox so it's for the UK too.
I can only speak from personal experience with two V6 XE's under my belt and it does run better on higher octane fuel in my opinion.
But, this is a subject that has been discussed on here quite a few times before and the upshot is you use whichever suits you.
:D

XE123

Post by XE123 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:56 pm

PaulC wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:22 am
I think that snip in the big book is more referring to the American market as their fuel is crap over there (91 ron as standard I think?). They class 95 as premium, where as that's pretty much standard over here in the UK. 98 is 'premium' or 'super' in the UK.

If it makes the car go and you're happy with it, why worry?
One thing I do know is that the american market uses a slightly different scaling system. There are RON and MON. I am not sure which one they use but I think its MON.
Jaguar XE - Caesium Blue 25t R-Sport :)

bob_mcn

Post by bob_mcn » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:06 pm

Hope this helps to explain the difference..

Measurement methods (copied/pasted from Wikipedia)

Research Octane Number (RON)

The most common type of octane rating worldwide is the Research Octane Number (RON). RON is determined by running the fuel in a test engine with a variable compression ratio under controlled conditions, and comparing the results with those for mixtures of iso-octane and n-heptane.

Motor Octane Number (MON)

Another type of octane rating, called Motor Octane Number (MON), is determined at 900 rpm engine speed instead of the 600 rpm for RON.[1] MON testing uses a similar test engine to that used in RON testing, but with a preheated fuel mixture, higher engine speed, and variable ignition timing to further stress the fuel's knock resistance. Depending on the composition of the fuel, the MON of a modern pump gasoline will be about 8 to 12 octane lower than the RON, but there is no direct link between RON and MON. Pump gasoline specifications typically require both a minimum RON and a minimum MON.[citation needed]

Anti-Knock Index (AKI) or (R+M)/2

In most countries in Europe (also in Australia and New Zealand) the "headline" octane rating shown on the pump is the RON, but in Canada, the United States, Brazil, and some other countries, the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), and often written on pumps as (R+M)/2. It may also sometimes be called the Posted Octane Number (PON).

Difference between RON, MON, and AKI

Because of the 8 to 12 octane number difference between RON and MON noted above, the AKI shown in Canada and the United States is 4 to 6 octane numbers lower than elsewhere in the world for the same fuel. This difference between RON and MON is known as the fuel's Sensitivity,[5] and is not typically published for those countries that use the Anti-Knock Index labelling system.
Bob McN.
Oct'16 to Oct'18: Caesium Blue, Portfolio 240, MY2017, selection of addons.
Oct'18 onwards : Caldera Red, XE 300 Sport, MY2019, bigger selection of addons
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6930&start=20#p77545

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”