Jaguar XE Forum banner

Eco mode

5K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Petercoll 
#1 ·
I've switched to Eco mode to save fuel and average around 48 mpg in mainly suburban driving. Obviously it's not quite so quick away from traffic lights / roundabouts; will switching the gear selector to "S" help or does Eco mode override this?

#2 ·
A bit of an odd question. Why not just switch to normal mode if you want to be a bit quicker off the mark. All S will do is keep it in gear for a longer period, which will not help economy one bit. When I first got my car I drove in eco mode for a while, but like you got fed up with the slow response. I now drive in Normal mode most of the time.

#3 ·
I drive around mostly in Eco and the car still goes like a scalded cat if I hit the accelerator hard (auto / kickdown). But it does dull the responses otherwise. Have nearly got the average mpg up to 30 which might sound bad but I used to get 19 from my previous XK :lol:

#4 ·
Pongo said:
I drive around mostly in Eco ...............
One thing on here that is about as welcome as a turd in a swimming pool is an S owner openly admitting they drive in eco mode!
(If you do it then keep it to yourself!)
Outrageous behaviour!!!!
Go out to your car and apologise right now and promise to never ever do it again.
It's like getting a thoroughbred horse to pull a bloody cart!
:lol:

#5 ·
Just remember - you can't get ought for nought! (Owt for nowt, that is.) No matter what setting you use, you still have to move the same amount of car around. Eco and sport settings just forcibly modify the settings you might yourself use. I've found Eco makes precious little difference to mpg or even acceleration, as I nearly always drive conservatively anyway, using the occasional "squirt" to enable quick overtaking. But it's very nice to have the performance there when you really want it.

#8 ·
Go out to your car and apologise right now and promise to never ever do it again.
It's like getting a thoroughbred horse to pull a bloody cart!
:lol:
[/quote]

What a great response PhilB. :lol: :lol: :lol:

#10 ·
:lol: Ahhh, the advantages of owning a barely-subdued Tier-3 in Petrol, instead of an impossible to discipline "S".

Take the word of a prude: Eco is a fine way to budget your expenditure of fuel and energy if you are a casual operator of the throttle on moderately long errands.
The trouble is that excessively aggressive or playful operation of the car quickly counteracts anything Eco Mode can do for you-----and as illustrated here by the posters,.. "S" owners DON'T endorse any other way to drive than… err, "counter productively" towards Eco Modes.
So PhilB's humor may be spot on: as an S-owner you'll find it hard to discipline yourself enough to get the same (if any) substantial benefits from Eco that a Portfolio (Prestige) driver like myself easily can.

We have frequently debated if engaging the S-Gear completely defeats the purpose of drving in Eco-Mode (and I think we came to an agreement that there MUST be SOME portion of Eco benefits lost when we have both engaged together).

If you are good at smooth driving (enough to see Eco really benefit you even in an S model), then I'd recommend practicing with the Paddles. It will achieve the lower-gear responsiveness whenever you need it, and you won't have to drive in S-gear all the time.

:geek: I've found that you can cruise along silently, spurt ahead shockingly fast with an initial nudge on the throttle followed by single or double tap of the D-paddle---turning a few heads, and NOT even cause the drivers-style monitor on your touch-screen to give you a demerit for harsh accelerator treatment. I do it because it eliminates "lags" in the car altogether (and is said to promote a healthy longer life for your turbocharger).
It takes a great deal of practice to perform this as devil-may-care, piece-of-cake, as the experts.
But, If your're good enough to exploit the benefits of Eco-Mode in your "S", then you're good enough to master a smooth, lithe, Down-Paddle twitch at just the right moment in local roads.
And it WAAYYY more satisfying than just letting the S-gear take all the glory away from you in city streets. ;)

...How many of you "S" owners use your paddles every day?

#11 ·
"Driven as it was Intended to be driven;
With brio and panache as befits its racing Heritage."

I think this quote by one of your countrymen excludes the "eco" setting, NewLester

Mostly I believe in saving polar bears and baby whales, but sometimes I just love burying the throttle and watching the consumption readout hit the equivalent of 7mpg.

#12 ·
Coming from an old school Sports car racing diet in the 1980's (Maranello Ferrari Championship overall winner 1990, For DK Engineering of Watford) , I can prove the virtues of Eco mode. It allows me smooth integration with normal busy traffic flow. It makes remarkable use of the Ingenium Petrol's low end plentiful torque. And, because I have adaptive dynamics, it also gives a restful limousine ride in Eco, softer than Normal mode, and soothing for the back after a spell in Dynamic and 'Trac' mode across the Cotswolds, whilst clipping blind apex's in 6th Gear, nose in and drifting !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.