Main battery locations in Jaguar XE 2017

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Faults and Fixes
Olly2017

Main battery locations in Jaguar XE 2017

Post by Olly2017 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:50 pm

Need some help have just taken posession of XE Sport and the stop start doesn't work. Fed the usual line of it has been standing around for a while so will need to charge the car battery up :shock:

I have a dash cam and had heard rumours that this can prevent the stop start tech from working. Had a bog standard 2016/66 plate with the same dash cam and everything worked fine.

It is booked in with Jaguar dealer but would like some independent advice as would like to be sure of the answers provided. Jaguar along with the other main brands are finding times very difficult and with Stop-Start tech reportedly faulty :cry: ???? Etc in general I would rather seek advice from users-owners than dealers?

capese21

Re: Main battery locations in Jaguar XE 2017

Post by capese21 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:29 pm

The battery is in under boot floor.

A low battery will prevent the stop start from working as will a cold engine, the heater being on high heat or cool, the brake pedal depressed, no high electrical load on and probably more reasons.

I have a Ctek charging port hard wired to the + side of the battery and upstream of the - terminal. I can then, every so often give it a boost. This keeps it in fully charged condition and should prolong the life of the (expensive) AGM battery.

I have a dash cam hard wired into a fuse. It hasnt prevented the SS from working although I tend to turn it off as it serves no purpose. It will always activate if left on though.

:)
XE Indus Silver 2.0L Ford engine Heated front screen Reverse camera Blind spot warning.

myquest

Post by myquest » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:55 am

Wish my S/S didn't work - one less button to press.....
XE-S. MY17. Usual stuff.

Indianajons

Post by Indianajons » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:25 pm

myquest wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:55 am
Wish my S/S didn't work - one less button to press.....
I’ll second that
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

Chas379

Post by Chas379 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:47 pm

capese21 wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:29 pm

I have a Ctek charging port hard wired to the + side of the battery and upstream of the - terminal. I can then, every so often give it a boost. This keeps it in fully charged condition and should prolong the life of the (expensive) AGM battery.

I have a dash cam hard wired into a fuse. It hasnt prevented the SS from working although I tend to turn it off as it serves no purpose. It will always activate if left on though :)
I am in the market for a Ctek Charger for my XE Can you show a pic of your charging port please.?
XE Prestige, 2.0i 200ps Ingenium, Auto, Loire Blue, Light Oyster trim

Chas379

Post by Chas379 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:54 pm

My S/S vary rarely work. I did not even mention it when went for 1st service 6 weeks ago.

I have a dash cam hard wired which only operates when ignition on. However I have noticed when car goes in for service (the same applied to my earlier XE) I found the power lead had been disconnected from the camera by the technician. Dash Cam was in operation when the S/S decided to 'kick in'. We have a level crossing near home and at times you can be stuck for over 5 mins (3 > 4 trains) so I just switch engine off and read the paper.
XE Prestige, 2.0i 200ps Ingenium, Auto, Loire Blue, Light Oyster trim

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:38 pm

It took my dealer three attempts to get the s/s system to work. For the first two they took the car in overnight to charge the battery. This lasted two weeks the first time and one week the second time. The third attempt involved changing the 18 month old battery for a new one, which seems to have worked.
Bazzamf - XE 200 Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:09 am

With respect, look at the locked post that I started. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4725
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

Dendip

Post by Dendip » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:10 am

Hi, I had a battery drama this week that was sorted by the AA. It made me think that I should buy a Ctek charger, which I understand can be permanently connected to the battery, and get into the routine of boosting up at weekends. I would have to use the main battery because I can't open the bonnet when the car is in the garage. However the Handbook (page 213 ) says that the battery has to be removed from the car to avoid damage to the electrical system. So now I'm confused. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Dennis
XES 340. IRR with Black/White interior. Previous: S Type SE and XF Portfolio. All a delight to own!

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:38 am

Dennis, the battery can be connected in the boot with the croc clips. Connect +ve to the red +ve terminal and then the -ve to a stud in the boot floor on the passenger side. It's a bit hidden but you will find it. Charge the battery and disconnect the CTek leads -ve first then +ve. Don't leave them permanently connected for safety. The reason JLR say disconnect is because the battery voltage monitor could be damaged with a direct connection to that terminal, however not if indirectly as I have described. Connection without removing the battery is fine but JLR and other makers point out disconnection for safety purposes as the battery gives off hydrogen gas which is explosive if ignited. I regularly charged my old 80Ah battery this way but have now fitted a comfort plug which allows the charger to be plugged in to this permanent fitting. There are deatils on here and I am not sure where but my mammmmmmmmoth Stop/Start post may include it.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

Return to “Electronics and In Car Entertainment”