Rear Camera

All Jaguar XE related discussions
JimmyH

Rear Camera

Post by JimmyH » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:08 pm

I had parking pack of front sensors and rear camera fitted as part of original build. Works fine when reversing.

However it wont come on unless I am in reverse. Found this today when driving forwards into a parking space and wanting to use camera to check I was far enough into the bay.

Tried the camera button that is permanently displayed at the bottom of the 10.2 screen and also the camera button on the 2nd page but no sucess.

On my wife's Evoque, with the same parking pack, you can drive all day with the rear camera on.

Is this a fault or do Jag XEs have different software to Landrovers for rear cameras?
XE R Sport 30t AWD, Loire Blue, MY19, full dynamics, 18 way seats, privacy glass. 25-10-2018. 2nd Jag.

1st Jag S type 2.5 V6. Sapphire Blue. New in Nov 2003 til Aug 2017. Armchair on wheels that cornered on rails.

Jag2016

Re: Rear Camera

Post by Jag2016 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:50 pm

Hi Jimmy, My rear camera comes on when ever I touch the camera button on the touch screen. I usually use the camera during traffic jams ( or very slow moving traffic ) to check if the bloke behind me is maintaining his distance with my car. I have also used this a couple of times while parking forward to see if I am clear off the road at the back.

Seems to be a bug on yours Jimmy .. " -- this is not true as pointed out by Stephen in the post below..

Cheers
Phani
Last edited by Jag2016 on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XE S,
MY17,
Storm Grey,
ICT Pro,
HUD

ColinR

Post by ColinR » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:33 pm

Like Jag2016 I can turn on my rear camera when driving forwards. Not used it in a parking situation but it should work. The camera will not turn on if the forwards sensors are activated though so maybe that is the case for you? I think if you are moving forwards the front sensors get priority over the rear ones and the camera which makes logical sense.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:26 pm

Hi Jimmy,

No bugs on yours, according to the Owners Handbook.

On MY 19 XE, "when Reverse (R) is selected, the touchscreen automatically displays a high definition, colour image from the rear of the vehicle. But the display discontinues automatically when either of the following apply:
Drive (D) is selected for longer than 5 seconds.
Drive (D) is selected and/or the vehicle's speed is greater than 18 km/h (11 mph)."

In contrast, on MY 17 vehicles equipped with the rear camera and ICT Pro (similar to Jag2016's), "when Reverse (R) gear is not selected, the rear camera view can still be selected, if required. Touch the Camera icon to display the available camera views. Touch the selection arrow below the vehicle graphic. The Rear camera view displays. Touch any of the camera selection arrows to move to alternative camera views."

However, even on MY 17, the rear camera display on the touch screen also discontinues automatically when Drive (D) is selected for longer than 5 seconds or Drive (D) is selected and/or the vehicle's speed is greater than 18 km/h (11 mph).

So it would appear to be a case of altered specifications from MY 17 to MY 19.

I hope that helps :)

Gaspode

Post by Gaspode » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:27 pm

Tried mine the other day (MY18 with Advanced Parking Assist and the non-Pro ICT screen) - quite happy showing me what's behind at 30mph.....I'd guess ColinR is correct when he suggests it's related to whether the front parking sensors are switched on...
2017 Portfolio 2.0D (180) AWD - Santorini Black

glcohen

Post by glcohen » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:38 pm

I keep the rear camera on my MY17 on all the time to make up for the terrible rear vision using the rear view mirror. Note that if its selected when the car is moving you adjust the zoom and vertical positioning from the touch screen
XE 2.0 Prestige 20T Auto (MY 2017) , Rhodium Silver with Oyster interior, Gloss figured ebony veneer, Split rear Seat, Park Assist and surround camera pack, Power fold and dimming mirrors, Space saver spare wheel.

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:12 pm

As Stephen said a couple of posts up:
"However, even on MY 17, the rear camera display on the touch screen also discontinues automatically when Drive (D) is selected for longer than 5 seconds or Drive (D) is selected and/or the vehicle's speed is greater than 18 km/h (11 mph)."

Mines a my17 and the camera goes off as soon as I hit 11mph so there's no way I can drive with it permanently on.
MY17 240 R-Sport, IRR, Black Pack, Park Pack, Cold Climate Pack, 19" Twin 5 Spokes, Jet/Red Interior, 10 Way + Lumbar, Split Rear Seat, ICT Pro, Illuminated Tread Plates, Configurable Mood Lighting, Alloy Paddles & Pedals, Homelink, Spare Wheel.

myquest

Post by myquest » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:04 pm

Although my February 17's camera goes off once moving forward, it can be selected (and remain) on, at any forward speed.
XE-S. MY17. Usual stuff.

colonie

Post by colonie » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:16 pm

Got the same behavior on my camera. Just won't turn on while driving forward.

JimmyH

Post by JimmyH » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:13 am

Many thanks. The front sensors were picking up a kerb when I first tried it. Will try when stationary in the drive clear of obstructions. Will report back after more varied attempts.
XE R Sport 30t AWD, Loire Blue, MY19, full dynamics, 18 way seats, privacy glass. 25-10-2018. 2nd Jag.

1st Jag S type 2.5 V6. Sapphire Blue. New in Nov 2003 til Aug 2017. Armchair on wheels that cornered on rails.

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”