Keyless Entry

All Jaguar XE related discussions
BOBCDP

Keyless Entry

Post by BOBCDP » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:47 pm

Just watched the Tonight programme on ITV which was all about the rapidly rising theft rate of expensive cars with keyless entry by thieves using relay kit bought online for less than £100. This has been covered before in the forum and the use of the Faraday pouch was mentioned as one method of preventing theft. What amazed me was that they didn't explain the exact difference between keyless entry and non keyless entry fobs in view of the fact that they look the same. It's called keyless entry and it obvious when you know and understand what is going on, but I would hazard a guess that the vast majority of viewers who have a fob which doesn't need to be inserted in a slot or whatever in their car, now assume they have a problem. They just showed a typical fob which we all have, but they didn't mention that the only ones that actually transmit a signal without requiring a button press to open the doors are the only ones where this type of theft can occur. Lots of needlessly worried car owners I think!!
MY16 2015 R-Sport 180d, Auto, Yulong White,

mash101_98

Re: Keyless Entry

Post by mash101_98 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:12 pm

This is the reason I didn't spec keyless entry as I didn't want to worry about where my keys are all the time. I think it is good that they are making people aware that there could be a problem, just a shame they aren't making it too clear. I was ony aware as my friend had his stuff taken from his Mondeo with keyless entry, and the thieves had done a few of his neighbours on the street that same night. Was very frustrating as they took his company mobile which I was able to track to an address the police had no interest in visiting until a few days later where they found nothing of my friend's to recover ( surprise surprise ).
Waiting on an XE R-Sport 250 PS Petrol in Dominic Santini black.

capese21

Post by capese21 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:49 am

Also now the theif cannot add keys via the OBD port as the key module will not accept new keys this way. So loose you key the module has to be replaced to. So makes press button fob cars harder to steal.

PaulC

Post by PaulC » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:11 am

I think the XE works in the same way as the rest of the JLR range if you have it but want to disable keyless entry (can't test it right now as mine is still in the body shop):

1. Open the driver's door
2. Hold the key fob inside the car
3. Press the headlamp button on the key fob three times
4. Press the unlock button on the key fob once
5. Take the key fob outside of the car
6. Close the driver's door
7. Press the lock button the key fob

G7DCW

Post by G7DCW » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:45 am

For quite while after I got my XE, I thought "Keyless Entry" merely referred to the fact that there was no key - just a fob. Eventually I realised I didn't need to press any fob buttons to get into and drive the car! I still really miss having a key and ignition/steering lock - one never knows (at my forgetful age), once in the car, where the heck one has put the fob. So, I have it on a leather thong (if I may use the term) hanging round my neck. Once inside the house, the fob lives in a proper earthed Faraday Cage. Note that, to work properly, a Farady Cage needs to consist of an Earthed container. I've no doubt that a simple metal box or foil-protected wallet is better than nothing, but these do not constitute a proper Faraday Cage. A key would be much simpler.
Petrol 240 Portfolio, Dark Sapphire.

Spiderman

Post by Spiderman » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:03 pm

G7DCW wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:45 am
For quite while after I got my XE, I thought "Keyless Entry" merely referred to the fact that there was no key - just a fob. Eventually I realised I didn't need to press any fob buttons to get into and drive the car! I still really miss having a key and ignition/steering lock - one never knows (at my forgetful age), once in the car, where the heck one has put the fob. So, I have it on a leather thong (if I may use the term) hanging round my neck. Once inside the house, the fob lives in a proper earthed Faraday Cage. Note that, to work properly, a Farady Cage needs to consist of an Earthed container. I've no doubt that a simple metal box or foil-protected wallet is better than nothing, but these do not constitute a proper Faraday Cage. A key would be much simpler.
A Faraday cage only needs to grounded if it has conductors extending to outside the protection area. Assuming that you place the entire fob inside the cage, then no earthing is required. So the Faraday pouches, etc. that are available on eBay and other places will work perfectly well assuming that the wire mesh is sufficient and completely surrounds the fob.
XE Portfolio in Italian Racing Red; 2.0 Diesel (180PS)

Pongo

Post by Pongo » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:34 pm

Just out of curiosity, are there any stats for how many XE's are stolen (keyless or otherwise) ?

Actually, has anyone ever heard of an XE being stolen ?

Are they not a bit more like Lexus rather than being like BMW / Audi / Merc (which are stolen for export / parts / illegal use by questionable individuals) ?
2016 XE-S 340

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:02 pm

Back in the 50's the Jaguar was the car of choice for villains but the new mentality is for German marques and Range Rovers. The "old mans car" mentality still prevails from the 70's Jaguar era and Mr Scumbag hasn't yet sussed out how fast and agile these cars are. :lol: :lol: :lol:
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

147daytona

Post by 147daytona » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:45 pm

I have a couple of Faraday pouches for my keys that I got off ebay and find them very effective.

I can have the key in the pouch and stand right beside the car and it won't unlock, but as soon as I take the key out of the pouch, it unlocks.

If I then put the key back in the pouch, I am unable to start the car, so it seems it works very well.
MY17 240 R-Sport, IRR, Black Pack, Park Pack, Cold Climate Pack, 19" Twin 5 Spokes, Jet/Red Interior, 10 Way + Lumbar, Split Rear Seat, ICT Pro, Illuminated Tread Plates, Configurable Mood Lighting, Alloy Paddles & Pedals, Homelink, Spare Wheel.

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”