First impressions

All Jaguar XE related discussions
BevC

Re: First impressions

Post by BevC » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:18 am

I previously had an early Prestige, but in September I took advantage of an offer and went for a Portfolio. It is my first brand new car, I have gone from manual to an automatic and also have AWD. I’m slowly getting used to all of the new features, but nearly 3 months in I continue to be delighted. Yes, we’ve had foibles with memory sticks but that has just added to his character. When the covers were pulled back on collection day I had a stupid grin on my face, which hasn’t gone away. I love driving him, even in the worst traffic, and am looking forward to warmer weather and him being completely and thoroughly run in to try my paddles and have a bit of fun.

I feel privileged and extremely lucky that I was in the fortunate position to be able to get a brand new Jaguar. After attending the celebration of 50 years of the XJ I look at it this way - you never own a Jaguar, it is entrusted to you for future generations in the hope that one day in 50 years time, someone will look at a veteran car and say wistfully “I wonder what that was like when it was brand new?”
Corris Grey/Oyster Portfolio 180AWD

Mikeyjd

Post by Mikeyjd » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:57 am

I just want to join in the new/used debate. I have never had a new car, nothing to do with depreciation, but because I couldn't really afford a "decent" new car. A few months ago I received my pension lump sum and decided to splash out a bit and go for a nearly new car. I looked at BMW, Merc, Alfa, Volvo etc. But fell in love with the Jag.

I decided to go for an XE rather than XF and decided the 180bhp diesel was probably the car for me. I asked for a test drive and drove a 240bhp AWD. After that I realised I couldn't settle for the 180. I did a bit of research and decided which add-ons were essential for my own use. I also narrowed it down to Portfolio or RSport and I decided I would prefer a silver or grey car. I spent a few weeks on the internet looking at various dealers. I eventually found the car a wanted (fortunately at the nearest dealer). 1 year old R Sport, 7000 miles at £25,000. I have never stopped smiling since :-)

The car is a corporate re-purchase and loaded with many extras. I checked online to see how much to buy the same spec car brand new. The total came to about £47,000. Granted certain bits are slightly improved but it is a pretty similar spec.

Yes, I wish I could afford brand new, but for the time being I am totally in love with my car. A couple of little niggles but its the best car I have ever owned. My last car was a Range Rover (15 years old when I traded it in).
2018MY R Sport. 240bhp AWD. - Meridian, Black pack, Parking pack, plus loads of extras.

mash101_98

Post by mash101_98 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:45 pm

I think 6-12 month old cars can definitely be a really good deal compared to brand new. My current car, a snubnosed Fiesta, I got 9 mths old with only 2,300 miles on the clock and saved at least £5k on brand new. I was talking to my boss about it and how much I'd saved and he immediately trumped me with his £60k saving on his Bentley doing the same. :lol:

I don't think there is any right or wrong to new or nearly new, just a trade-off between cost, spec, and availability depending on how everything falls. I do like the idea of having a car from brand new at least once in my life, but I know when it's time to move on I will be giving the nearly new a good look too.

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:39 pm

mash101_98 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:45 pm
I think 6-12 month old cars can definitely be a really good deal compared to brand new.
Very true.
I had an 09 BMW 535d M Sport estate in the past.
9 months old, 6000 miles and over £20,000 off list price.
An ex BMW Management car and fully loaded.
Was an absolute no-brainer and a great long distance car.
XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

bob_mcn

Post by bob_mcn » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:00 pm

After the 240 petrol portfolio, the 300 sport is awesome, i can feel it wanting to go but i haven't bedded it in yet, so i'm not too tempted to unleash the ponies, and the handling is brilliant, maybe even a little better than the portfolio, average fuel consumption is 32.7 mpg over 980 miles, so is on a par with the 240, and it's definitely not as jumpy/jerky on the gearbox takeoff, so another couple of hundred miles and i'll let it off the leash and rev it out a bit.
Bob McN.
Oct'16 to Oct'18: Caesium Blue, Portfolio 240, MY2017, selection of addons.
Oct'18 onwards : Caldera Red, XE 300 Sport, MY2019, bigger selection of addons
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6930&start=20#p77545

Gojira

Post by Gojira » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:06 pm

Of my last 4 cars, two were less than a year old, and two were new.

That's four cars (well, Vauxhalls!) over 27 years, which helps somewhat with the dpreciation :-)

The XE I've been given permission to order next month :lol: will be shiny and new, partly because that's by far the easiest way to get the spec I'd like, but mostly because it is my retirement treat that I've been saving up for for ages...

I can entirely sympathise with people who can't or don't want to spend new car money though - my first three cars combined cost aboutthe same as the cold climate pack, and I did over 50,000 miles in them :o

edit-

and I think bob_mcn has just confirmed that I need a 300 in grandad spec, not a 250! :D
Waiting to retire, so I can buy a Portfolio 250, with all the toys I can sneak past SWMBO :lol:

bob_mcn

Post by bob_mcn » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:10 pm

Gojira, :D fortune shines on he who waits, or something like that, well done. 8-)
Bob McN.
Oct'16 to Oct'18: Caesium Blue, Portfolio 240, MY2017, selection of addons.
Oct'18 onwards : Caldera Red, XE 300 Sport, MY2019, bigger selection of addons
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6930&start=20#p77545

sutch3

Post by sutch3 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:17 pm

Buying new... Expensive
VAT & depreciation... Expensive
That new car smell and the first miles under my helm... Priceless!

My "initial" math was to keep it 10 years and call it a fair deal when all said and done. But of course if an all electric XE makes its way onto the scene it is all bets off 😂!
Jag XE 2.0d 180ps R-Sport Auto, Storm Grey, 19" Venom 5 Twin Spoke Silver, Black Pack, 10 Way Power Seats, Parking Pack, Privacy Glass, Sliding Panoramic Roof, Split Fold Rear Seat. Vroom vroom! 😄🏎

robertW

Post by robertW » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:52 pm

sutch3 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:17 pm
Buying new... Expensive
VAT & depreciation... Expensive
That new car smell and the first miles under my helm... Priceless!

My "initial" math was to keep it 10 years and call it a fair deal when all said and done. But of course if an all electric XE makes its way onto the scene it is all bets off 😂!
!0 years or longer is my plan too - and when running it for all that time, its reassuring to know that a new car wont have been bashed or overstressed.
240 Portfolio, July 2015, adaptive cruise, queue assist, advanced park, 360° cameras, folding mirrors.

Petercoll

Post by Petercoll » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:48 pm

There has been no mention on new car purchasing of dealer contributions and low APR lending rates on PCP finance. I bought mine with a Privilege Car buying scheme as a contractor employee of JLR , of which the discount was cancelled out by the options I needed . Looking recently, the same savings seem to apply to a straight forward retail pcp deal. I specified a 240 bhp 2 litre petrol , 2wd , with bigger brakes, no spare wheel (weight saving/performance) and adaptive dynamics which I enjoy where permissable . I appreciated at the time this is a fairly oddball choice, and the expense of these options is to be frittered away if the car were sold , but now I've had it over a year, it exceeds my expectations of fun for any car at any price.
MY 18 XE 25t r-Sport , Corris Grey with rear privacy glass, 19 inch wheels, In Control Touch Pro, larger disc brakes, Adaptive Dynamics & split rear seats.

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”