Jaguar XE Forum banner

First impressions

8K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  LaithM 
#1 ·
Just back from a long weekend picking up the Xe and visiting relatives down south. I've done some 700 miles in it so I can honestly say....... WOW! What a car. Powerful, economical (not at the same time though), well built, comfortable and great handling. So pleased I went with my heart, not head, and ditched the Superb 280 I was planning on getting. The dealer was great, kept things short and simple, and I got an absolute bargain.

PS. Driving standards are atrocious down South. So many idiots on the roads these days!

#4 ·
Unfortunately it's not a brand new car, but just over a year old. Less than half the price of a new one and two years warranty, what's not to like!

#5 ·
Getting used to the car and I'm still delighted with it. Some things though, dealer wise, I'm not ecstatic about. Had to top up the Adblue, despite me asking the dealer to check it. Tyre pressures were a few psi low, and the brake discs and pads will need changing soon. I know these are all service items, but they take the sheen off the dealer experience.

G
#6 ·
Hi Rob,

I picked up mine a couple of weeks ago too and have had a smilar driving experience. I too had to travel, to Chester in fact but Dealer experience was excellent. And like you say, what was a £48k car 18 months ago was a steal at £21.5k!

I have only one problem, I can't get my hands on the keys, the wife loves it!

All the best!

Richard.

P.S. Agree with driving standards! Where in Scotland are you?

#7 ·
Those of you loving the massive discounts of new won't be quite so please I suspect when the depreciation continues as savagely and you find your car's resale value is next to nothing.

G
#8 ·
I think not Halojones.

Firstly, we haven't bought new but used (between 12 and 18 months old), Secondly, I have no intention of selling my XE (my last Jag cost me £10.5k at 20 months old - 10 years later it has finally died at 241k miles and owes me nothing). And finally no ammount of depreciation can be as bad as that suffered by anyone who buys a car new. I know, I did it once - never again!

Buy yours new did you?

#9 ·
rwd3m said:
And finally no ammount of depreciation can be as bad as that suffered by anyone who buys a car new. I know, I did it once - never again!

Buy yours new did you?
I think you need to be aware that a lot of members had to buy new back in 2015 as there weren't any used ones as it was a brand new car.
Reminding people about depreciation on here might not go down too well as a lot had no choice.

#10 ·
rwd3m said:
And finally no amount of depreciation can be as bad as that suffered by anyone who buys a car new. I know, I did it once - never again!

Buy yours new did you?
I did, on both occasions and i am happy to do so, its my choice as i then get the choice of the extras i want. PLUS, Bear in mind if no one bought new, there would be no used cars available for people to point out about depreciation on new vehicles,

There, i'm calm again.

#11 ·
rwd3m said:
I think not Halojones.

Firstly, we haven't bought new but used (between 12 and 18 months old), Secondly, I have no intention of selling my XE (my last Jag cost me £10.5k at 20 months old - 10 years later it has finally died at 241k miles and owes me nothing). And finally no ammount of depreciation can be as bad as that suffered by anyone who buys a car new. I know, I did it once - never again!

Buy yours new did you?
I did indeed because as has been said, there were no used vehicles in 2015. In fact I didn't even have a test drive and bought based on the early road-shows of the car. My choice of course.

This is not the thread to discuss and I did not mean to derail it.

#12 ·
:D I am just shy of 1000 miles so decided to try a heavy foot in S and dynamic. Unbelievable. Well worth going for the 300AWD.

As for depreciation. Not a problem. I look after my cars rarely driving with a heavy foot (well maybe more often than normal on this one) and drive them until they rust away. The last jag, paid 25kgbp new from showroom, worked out at around 200gbp a month over 14yrs if I include repair/replacement costs but exclude maintenance and fuel. Cant complain.

If you want shinny and new then depreciation hurts but if you do low miles and hold on to the car it is not an issue.

My philosophy might not suit all but it suits me.

G
#13 ·
PhilB said:
rwd3m said:
And finally no ammount of depreciation can be as bad as that suffered by anyone who buys a car new. I know, I did it once - never again!

Buy yours new did you?
I think you need to be aware that a lot of members had to buy new back in 2015 as there weren't any used ones as it was a brand new car.
Reminding people about depreciation on here might not go down too well as a lot had no choice.
Nobody 'had' to buy new. It was a choice, plenty of other cars on the market. And I think you'll find halojones brought up the subject of depreciation, so get back in your box.

G
#14 ·
bob_mcn said:
rwd3m said:
And finally no amount of depreciation can be as bad as that suffered by anyone who buys a car new. I know, I did it once - never again!

Buy yours new did you?
I did, on both occasions and i am happy to do so, its my choice as i then get the choice of the extras i want. PLUS, Bear in mind if no one bought new, there would be no used cars available for people to point out about depreciation on new vehicles,

There, i'm calm again.
I think you're preaching to the converted. Been there, done it.

G
#15 ·
HaloJones said:
rwd3m said:
I think not Halojones.

Buy yours new did you?
I did indeed because as has been said, there were no used vehicles in 2015. In fact I didn't even have a test drive and bought based on the early road-shows of the car. My choice of course.
Clearly a good choice!

#16 ·
rwd3m said:
Nobody 'had' to buy new. It was a choice, plenty of other cars on the market. And I think you'll find halojones brought up the subject of depreciation, so get back in your box.
I think you need to perhaps think before you post as if you speak to me or any other member in that vein again you will find yourself out of here.
I do not appreciate being told "get back in your box".
Most people quickly tune in to the tone of a forum and I'll take into account that you might not have done that yet.

As regards nobody having to buy new, if someone hadn't we wouldn't have these forums.

#17 ·
I'm aware of the potential depreciation issues, but I'm looking at 3 year old Xe's and well maintained examples seem to hold value. My other option was a 3 year lease but I would have lost almost double the likely depreciation amount.

#18 ·
We all know that depreciation is a big potential pitfall in buying new, the VAT alone that only applies to brand new cars is a significant sum lost the moment you take possession. We all work hard for our money, and we all 'waste' a proportion of it in someone else's eyes according to what we value ourselves. I very nearly bought an ex demo XE for £27k and would have been very happy with that if the dealer had ever bothered to phone me back and discuss it. Instead I chose to buy a £42k new XE from another dealer, knowing I would be paying a premium for brand new and the exact spec I wanted, but as I said it's my money and my choice!

I'd also point out that not a single person I have spoken to about buying a new Jaguar has mentioned any waste of money, they've mostly told me how lucky I am. And I do feel bloody lucky too! :D

#19 ·
Did a 92 mile round trip today, at the legal limit, with outside temperatures about 3deg. Safe, secure, economical and powerful. Still smiling :)

#20 ·
mash101_98 said:
We all know that depreciation is a big potential pitfall in buying new, the VAT alone that only applies to brand new cars is a significant sum lost the moment you take possession. We all work hard for our money, and we all 'waste' a proportion of it in someone else's eyes according to what we value ourselves. I very nearly bought an ex demo XE for £27k and would have been very happy with that if the dealer had ever bothered to phone me back and discuss it. Instead I chose to buy a £42k new XE from another dealer, knowing I would be paying a premium for brand new and the exact spec I wanted, but as I said it's my money and my choice!

I'd also point out that not a single person I have spoken to about buying a new Jaguar has mentioned any waste of money, they've mostly told me how lucky I am. And I do feel bloody lucky too! :D
The last sentence sums it up - I have been told exactly the same by my friends etc - they all love it, and besides you only live once. I always said to myself that I would never buy new again, but the sheer enjoyment I get from driving my car makes it all worthwhile for me.

#21 ·
I previously had an early Prestige, but in September I took advantage of an offer and went for a Portfolio. It is my first brand new car, I have gone from manual to an automatic and also have AWD. I'm slowly getting used to all of the new features, but nearly 3 months in I continue to be delighted. Yes, we've had foibles with memory sticks but that has just added to his character. When the covers were pulled back on collection day I had a stupid grin on my face, which hasn't gone away. I love driving him, even in the worst traffic, and am looking forward to warmer weather and him being completely and thoroughly run in to try my paddles and have a bit of fun.

I feel privileged and extremely lucky that I was in the fortunate position to be able to get a brand new Jaguar. After attending the celebration of 50 years of the XJ I look at it this way - you never own a Jaguar, it is entrusted to you for future generations in the hope that one day in 50 years time, someone will look at a veteran car and say wistfully "I wonder what that was like when it was brand new?"

#22 ·
I just want to join in the new/used debate. I have never had a new car, nothing to do with depreciation, but because I couldn't really afford a "decent" new car. A few months ago I received my pension lump sum and decided to splash out a bit and go for a nearly new car. I looked at BMW, Merc, Alfa, Volvo etc. But fell in love with the Jag.

I decided to go for an XE rather than XF and decided the 180bhp diesel was probably the car for me. I asked for a test drive and drove a 240bhp AWD. After that I realised I couldn't settle for the 180. I did a bit of research and decided which add-ons were essential for my own use. I also narrowed it down to Portfolio or RSport and I decided I would prefer a silver or grey car. I spent a few weeks on the internet looking at various dealers. I eventually found the car a wanted (fortunately at the nearest dealer). 1 year old R Sport, 7000 miles at £25,000. I have never stopped smiling since :)

The car is a corporate re-purchase and loaded with many extras. I checked online to see how much to buy the same spec car brand new. The total came to about £47,000. Granted certain bits are slightly improved but it is a pretty similar spec.

Yes, I wish I could afford brand new, but for the time being I am totally in love with my car. A couple of little niggles but its the best car I have ever owned. My last car was a Range Rover (15 years old when I traded it in).

#23 ·
I think 6-12 month old cars can definitely be a really good deal compared to brand new. My current car, a snubnosed Fiesta, I got 9 mths old with only 2,300 miles on the clock and saved at least £5k on brand new. I was talking to my boss about it and how much I'd saved and he immediately trumped me with his £60k saving on his Bentley doing the same. :lol:

I don't think there is any right or wrong to new or nearly new, just a trade-off between cost, spec, and availability depending on how everything falls. I do like the idea of having a car from brand new at least once in my life, but I know when it's time to move on I will be giving the nearly new a good look too.

#24 ·
mash101_98 said:
I think 6-12 month old cars can definitely be a really good deal compared to brand new.
Very true.
I had an 09 BMW 535d M Sport estate in the past.
9 months old, 6000 miles and over £20,000 off list price.
An ex BMW Management car and fully loaded.
Was an absolute no-brainer and a great long distance car.

#25 ·
After the 240 petrol portfolio, the 300 sport is awesome, i can feel it wanting to go but i haven't bedded it in yet, so i'm not too tempted to unleash the ponies, and the handling is brilliant, maybe even a little better than the portfolio, average fuel consumption is 32.7 mpg over 980 miles, so is on a par with the 240, and it's definitely not as jumpy/jerky on the gearbox takeoff, so another couple of hundred miles and i'll let it off the leash and rev it out a bit.

#26 ·
Of my last 4 cars, two were less than a year old, and two were new.

That's four cars (well, Vauxhalls!) over 27 years, which helps somewhat with the dpreciation :)

The XE I've been given permission to order next month :lol: will be shiny and new, partly because that's by far the easiest way to get the spec I'd like, but mostly because it is my retirement treat that I've been saving up for for ages...

I can entirely sympathise with people who can't or don't want to spend new car money though - my first three cars combined cost aboutthe same as the cold climate pack, and I did over 50,000 miles in them :eek:

edit-

and I think bob_mcn has just confirmed that I need a 300 in grandad spec, not a 250! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.