First impressions

All Jaguar XE related discussions
HaloJones

Re: First impressions

Post by HaloJones » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:13 pm

rwd3m wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:54 am
I think not Halojones.

Firstly, we haven't bought new but used (between 12 and 18 months old), Secondly, I have no intention of selling my XE (my last Jag cost me £10.5k at 20 months old - 10 years later it has finally died at 241k miles and owes me nothing). And finally no ammount of depreciation can be as bad as that suffered by anyone who buys a car new. I know, I did it once - never again!

Buy yours new did you?
I did indeed because as has been said, there were no used vehicles in 2015. In fact I didn't even have a test drive and bought based on the early road-shows of the car. My choice of course.

This is not the thread to discuss and I did not mean to derail it.
Ultimate Black Portfolio 240 Petrol, Chrome Window Surrounds, Templar 18", Oyster Interior

JimmyH

Post by JimmyH » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:55 pm

:D I am just shy of 1000 miles so decided to try a heavy foot in S and dynamic. Unbelievable. Well worth going for the 300AWD.

As for depreciation. Not a problem. I look after my cars rarely driving with a heavy foot (well maybe more often than normal on this one) and drive them until they rust away. The last jag, paid 25kgbp new from showroom, worked out at around 200gbp a month over 14yrs if I include repair/replacement costs but exclude maintenance and fuel. Cant complain.

If you want shinny and new then depreciation hurts but if you do low miles and hold on to the car it is not an issue.

My philosophy might not suit all but it suits me.
XE R Sport 30t AWD, Loire Blue, MY19, full dynamics, 18 way seats, privacy glass. 25-10-2018. 2nd Jag.

1st Jag S type 2.5 V6. Sapphire Blue. New in Nov 2003 til Aug 2017. Armchair on wheels that cornered on rails.

rwd3m

Post by rwd3m » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:38 pm

PhilB wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:15 pm
rwd3m wrote:
And finally no ammount of depreciation can be as bad as that suffered by anyone who buys a car new. I know, I did it once - never again!

Buy yours new did you?
I think you need to be aware that a lot of members had to buy new back in 2015 as there weren't any used ones as it was a brand new car.
Reminding people about depreciation on here might not go down too well as a lot had no choice.
Nobody 'had' to buy new. It was a choice, plenty of other cars on the market. And I think you'll find halojones brought up the subject of depreciation, so get back in your box.
Last edited by rwd3m on Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2017 180PS Portfolio AWD in Santorini Black with climate pack, parking pack (haven't tried it yet), panoramic roof, folding rear seat (why isn't that standard equipment?) and 19" Style 1015 wheels that I'd happily swap for a set of 18" 5 spokes.

rwd3m

Post by rwd3m » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:42 pm

bob_mcn wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:01 pm
rwd3m wrote:
And finally no amount of depreciation can be as bad as that suffered by anyone who buys a car new. I know, I did it once - never again!

Buy yours new did you?
I did, on both occasions and i am happy to do so, its my choice as i then get the choice of the extras i want. PLUS, Bear in mind if no one bought new, there would be no used cars available for people to point out about depreciation on new vehicles,

There, i'm calm again.
I think you're preaching to the converted. Been there, done it.
2017 180PS Portfolio AWD in Santorini Black with climate pack, parking pack (haven't tried it yet), panoramic roof, folding rear seat (why isn't that standard equipment?) and 19" Style 1015 wheels that I'd happily swap for a set of 18" 5 spokes.

rwd3m

Post by rwd3m » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:45 pm

HaloJones wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:13 pm
rwd3m wrote:
I think not Halojones.

Firstly, we haven't bought new but used (between 12 and 18 months old), Secondly, I have no intention of selling my XE (my last Jag cost me £10.5k at 20 months old - 10 years later it has finally died at 241k miles and owes me nothing). And finally no ammount of depreciation can be as bad as that suffered by anyone who buys a car new. I know, I did it once - never again!

Buy yours new did you?
I did indeed because as has been said, there were no used vehicles in 2015. In fact I didn't even have a test drive and bought based on the early road-shows of the car. My choice of course.
Clearly a good choice!

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:58 pm

rwd3m wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:38 pm
Nobody 'had' to buy new. It was a choice, plenty of other cars on the market. And I think you'll find halojones brought up the subject of depreciation, so get back in your box.
I think you need to perhaps think before you post as if you speak to me or any other member in that vein again you will find yourself out of here.
I do not appreciate being told "get back in your box".
Most people quickly tune in to the tone of a forum and I'll take into account that you might not have done that yet.

As regards nobody having to buy new, if someone hadn't we wouldn't have these forums.
XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Rob Wright

Post by Rob Wright » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:02 pm

I'm aware of the potential depreciation issues, but I'm looking at 3 year old Xe's and well maintained examples seem to hold value. My other option was a 3 year lease but I would have lost almost double the likely depreciation amount.
Corris Grey 25D AWD

mash101_98

Post by mash101_98 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:12 pm

We all know that depreciation is a big potential pitfall in buying new, the VAT alone that only applies to brand new cars is a significant sum lost the moment you take possession. We all work hard for our money, and we all 'waste' a proportion of it in someone else's eyes according to what we value ourselves. I very nearly bought an ex demo XE for £27k and would have been very happy with that if the dealer had ever bothered to phone me back and discuss it. Instead I chose to buy a £42k new XE from another dealer, knowing I would be paying a premium for brand new and the exact spec I wanted, but as I said it's my money and my choice!

I'd also point out that not a single person I have spoken to about buying a new Jaguar has mentioned any waste of money, they've mostly told me how lucky I am. And I do feel bloody lucky too! :D
Waiting on an XE R-Sport 250 PS Petrol in Dominic Santini black.

Rob Wright

Post by Rob Wright » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:41 pm

Did a 92 mile round trip today, at the legal limit, with outside temperatures about 3deg. Safe, secure, economical and powerful. Still smiling :)
Corris Grey 25D AWD

spritely

Post by spritely » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:26 pm

mash101_98 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:12 pm
We all know that depreciation is a big potential pitfall in buying new, the VAT alone that only applies to brand new cars is a significant sum lost the moment you take possession. We all work hard for our money, and we all 'waste' a proportion of it in someone else's eyes according to what we value ourselves. I very nearly bought an ex demo XE for £27k and would have been very happy with that if the dealer had ever bothered to phone me back and discuss it. Instead I chose to buy a £42k new XE from another dealer, knowing I would be paying a premium for brand new and the exact spec I wanted, but as I said it's my money and my choice!

I'd also point out that not a single person I have spoken to about buying a new Jaguar has mentioned any waste of money, they've mostly told me how lucky I am. And I do feel bloody lucky too! :D
The last sentence sums it up - I have been told exactly the same by my friends etc - they all love it, and besides you only live once. I always said to myself that I would never buy new again, but the sheer enjoyment I get from driving my car makes it all worthwhile for me.
Corris Grey 180D R sport - loving it.

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”