Premium Fuel

All Jaguar XE related discussions
rwd3m

Premium Fuel

Post by rwd3m » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:23 pm

Hi everyone,

Towards the end of my last Jaguar's life (a 241,000 mile, 2.2d X Type) I'd been running it on premium diesel. Primarily to help me get through the emision test, but I also found a significant increase in mpg, circa 10%. Now, not nessecarily economic grounds for switching but pretty close.

My question is, does anyone else run premium diesel in their XE?

I'd be interested in your views/opinions.

Regards,

Richard.
2017 180PS Portfolio AWD in Santorini Black with climate pack, parking pack (haven't tried it yet), panoramic roof, folding rear seat (why isn't that standard equipment?) and 19" Style 1015 wheels that I'd happily swap for a set of 18" 5 spokes.

Indianajons

Re: Premium Fuel

Post by Indianajons » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:03 pm

I always buy the cheapest fuel available, regardless of brand, and on the few occasions when I’ve been forced to buy premium diesel, because I was running low and couldn’t risk trying to find a cheaper alternative, I can honestly say there was no noticeable difference in either performance or economy. I’ve never had a ‘bad’ tank of fuel either from any supermarket or garage.
2017 MY tempest grey Portfolio 180D, folding mirrors, 14 way seats, memory pack, cold weather pack, 360 parking, wi-fi hotspot

BRC

Post by BRC » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:45 pm

Bit hesitant to chip in here but I too noticed an improvement on a diesel car I ran exclusively on Tesco fuel until I was obliged to fill up with Esso. I'll be honest and say I did notice a marked improvement in the cars performance which frankly surprised me however I can't recall any increase in mpg.
Turns out there may well be some variation in diesel fuels and in particular the cetane value. As ever Wiki covers the subject as follows:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cetane_number

rwd3m

Post by rwd3m » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:16 pm

Interesting, thanks.

The premium fuel I'd been using was Shell V-Power and there seeems to be quite a bit of positive press on it's mpg improvement, Pistonheads for example.

I look forward to hearing further opinion.

Regards,
2017 180PS Portfolio AWD in Santorini Black with climate pack, parking pack (haven't tried it yet), panoramic roof, folding rear seat (why isn't that standard equipment?) and 19" Style 1015 wheels that I'd happily swap for a set of 18" 5 spokes.

BevC

Post by BevC » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:19 pm

My previous 163 diesel would sell her soul for V Power (much smoother, better acceleration and improved mpg) but my new 180 diesel is not particularly impressed by it and much prefers Esso. I think they have recently reformulated and it appears to be a big improvement over their previous fuel.
Corris Grey/Oyster Portfolio 180AWD

PaulC

Post by PaulC » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:44 pm

In my diesel XE's (both were 180's), I generally ran premium fuel as it was cheaper than regular and I passed it most days (costco - they only do premium diesel, usually 2 or 3p cheaper than supermarket regular).
I found filling at asda or Morrison's with regular made the car sound like a tank and seem "lazy", tesco regular just seemed normal, only a few mpg less than premium.

Swings and roundabouts really, whatever diesel you put in it will make it go - end of the day it's a diesel, not a tuned supercar where the difference between premium and regular would be night and day.
Jaguar XE S [380PS] | Jaguar F-Type R [550PS] | Aston Martin Vantage [510PS] | VW Golf GTI [150PS] | Skoda Fabia [sod all]

rwd3m

Post by rwd3m » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:45 pm

Hi Bev,

That's interesting. It's still early days for me, I only got the car 10 days ago and the wife has only let me drive it to work once!

BTW, I do like Corris Grey, just couldn't find one that met my needs and budget!

rwd3m

Post by rwd3m » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:48 pm

Fair point Paul, as I mentioned, I got into V Power to clean up the emissions of my 240K mile X Type (which it did) and found quite a noticeable mpg improvement.

ms1012

Post by ms1012 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:41 pm

With my 180D I don't find Shell V-Power to make a noticeable difference. In general, I prefer Esso, with my previous car the standard Esso diesel gave better MPG than Shell. I did once try Esso premium fuel and again could not tell any difference.
MY 2016 180D XE Portfolio - Corris Grey - Nokian WD4 winters

Vespa

Post by Vespa » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:54 am

The one thing here about fuels that must also be remembered is that the longer that they stay in the tank the less volatile they become. When I was driving my Rover 45 V6 I always used Shell V Power and found that normal fuel gave less performance and mpg. However in the Rover 25 we had V Power made no difference whatever. In one summer my wife had a series of operations and the 25 hardly got ran. I used to take it out occasionally to charge up the battery and keep tyres and brakes working OK. When she got back to driving I went to fill up the car with ordinary fuel and noticed a marked difference in power with the new fuel, after nearly 10 months of fuel sitting in the tank, it must have lost it's power. Also diesel fuel is different in winter as more anti waxing agents are added by the fuel companies. If a low mileage user gets to winter from a summer mix then the fuel may not be as effective. I know that the R45V6 altered its timing to suit higher octane fuels. Many petrol engines do this today and I suspect the Jaguar engines will do the same. Whether it is noticable or not is for debate, but as driving 20 years back, compared with today would be a factor with so many more cars on the road.
180 diesel XE R Sport, with many extras :D

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”