Upgrading from XE to XF?

All Jaguar XE related discussions
ahostmadsen

Upgrading from XE to XF?

Post by ahostmadsen » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:43 am

My lease on my XE expires soon. I'm strongly considering getting another Jaguar. But I'm thinking if I should upgrade to XF. Has anyone with an XE considered an XF? What would I get out of it except a slightly larger car? They seem very similar in many respects.

BRC

Re: Upgrading from XE to XF?

Post by BRC » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:13 am

Funny enough the first Jag I test drove was an XF and it was that drive that started me on my car hunt. Got to say I was very impressed with the XF and was very surprised by its pace and serenity. The car was extremely quiet and handled surprisingly well. The internal space was just on a par with the Mazda 6 I was "replacing" and if I recall just a tad longer and also slightly wider. It was the larger size that initially put me of and in turn I started to look at XE's. The reality is I would be the sole occupant most of the time and seldom needed the XF's capacity. However with a longer wheelbase it was always going to be a more serene experience than the XE which I would have highly appreciated. Of course come to parking time I'm grateful the XE's bum isn't hanging out waiting to be clobbered. In so many ways the XE is perfect for me and on balance I'm well pleased with it but I won’t be discounting an XF so quickly next time around.

Bazzamf

Post by Bazzamf » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:47 am

All you would get is a slightly larger car. I've had two XFs as courtesy cars and for some reason, I cannot explain, I was always pleased to get my XE back. If you need the extra space then go for the XF. If you don't, I would stick with the XE.
Bazzamf - XE 200 Ingenium Portfolio in Santorini Black

PhilB

Post by PhilB » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:05 am

"Upgrading" ??????
:o
I think "Upsizing" might be a better term to use.
:lol:
I was looking at a parked XF the other day and thought how long it looked.
But when you compare the figures apparently on paper it's the same width as an XE but about 28cm (11") longer.
In my garage that extra foot near enough would cause problems.

Oh, and apparently the XF is 100kg heavier than the XE as well.
XE S 380, Storm grey Pics Black venoms/black pack, 18 ways, BSM, 40/20/40, ICTPro 380, parking pack, spare wheel.
Previous: 2015 XE S 340, British Racing Green.

Pongo

Post by Pongo » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:21 am

PhilB wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:05 am
"Upgrading" ??????
I think "Upsizing" might be a better term to use.
:lol:
:lol: I thought exactly that when I saw the thread title.

I would have thought that unless you regularly carry three passengers and / or lots of clobber there would be little point going for the XF over the XE. Same with 5 series over the 3 series. Or A6 over A4. Yes, the larger car might ride a little more smoothly but, generally, unless you really need it I would have thought the extra size will be more of a hindrance (parking, garage space etc) than a benefit.

The days of the 'large saloon' seem to be nearly over with most people preferring SUV's, hatchbacks and compact saloons. Cars have gradually grown over the years though so that a compact saloon today is as big as what was considered a large saloon a few years back. But the parking space sizes haven't changed....
2016 XE-S 340

Madatter

Post by Madatter » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:52 am

I went with the intention off getting a XF and came away with a XE, I wanted something sporty after owning a Mondeo I liked the XF but after looking at it it was enormous, something like 12" longer 9" wider and slightly higher so had to look elsewhere, the wife spotted the XE and suggested we look at it, and as you say, the rest is history.
XE 2.0TD MY16 ULTIMATE BLACK Prestige, Cold Climate Pack, Parking Pack, Pan Roof, Waste of Space WiFi. Extra Wheel in the boot. (And a towbar)

mash101_98

Post by mash101_98 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:05 am

PhilB wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:05 am
"Upgrading" ??????

Oh, and apparently the XF is 100kg heavier than the XE as well.
My thoughts exactly! My other half once described the XF as the 'next one up' and had to be put right in no uncertain terms! :shock:

I see the XE and XF as siblings, they are slightly different for different needs. I must admit getting in and out of the back of the XF is pleasanter than the XE and the extra headroom and knee room is nice, but if you don't need that extra space then I personally haven't found anything to recommend it above the XE.

richmond

Post by richmond » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:07 am

The XF has a bigger boot and more leg room in the back and that's important to some people. If it isn't then get an XE, spending the XF extra money on a better one. Also the XF is more awkward to park due to it's length and longer wheel-base.
John
2016 XE Italian Racing Red Prestige 2.0i 200
Prev. 2011 XFS

mash101_98

Post by mash101_98 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:58 am

richmond wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:07 am
The XF has a bigger boot and more leg room in the back and that's important to some people. If it isn't then get an XE, spending the XF extra money on a better one. Also the XF is more awkward to park due to it's length and longer wheel-base.
I'd also point out that the increased headroom may be of benefit if you really want the panoramic sunroof, as I understand this eats into the headroom a little so the extra on the XF may be more comfortable depending on the build of the occupants.

Nevyn

Post by Nevyn » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:41 pm

I have a friend with a 180D Portfolio XF so have been able to do a direct comparison with mine. I've also had a couple of XF courtesy cars.

The biggest difference for me is the handling, the XE is that bit sharper, more agile, more enjoyable to drive. The other main difference is the NVH (Noise, Vibration & Harshness). I have an early XE, so maybe the current cars are better, but the XF is a bit more refined and quieter inside. Perhaps the additional rubber seals round the doors on the XF help with this, as well as keeping the door shuts clean...

The interiors are identical to all intents and purposes, swivelling air vents aside (these don't stick out so much and catch your knee - not that I've had this problem in my XE). Rear headroom and access is better, so if you're a six-footer with gangly teenagers you'd do better with the XF.

Personally I think the XE looks better, the grille is smaller and neater somehow and the bonnet line is lower. Perhaps I'm biased :)
2016 180d Portfolio Auto. Ammonite Grey + Light Oyster. 19" Star 5 Twin-Spokes + lots of toys...
http://www.xeforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2888

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”