Upgrading from XE to XF?

All Jaguar XE related discussions
martind511

Re: Upgrading from XE to XF?

Post by martind511 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:00 pm

I'm fortunate to have both and both are great cars - the reason I got an XF first was the occasional requirement to take passengers in the back and have a larger boot.

I bought the XE for my wife as she never carries passengers so for us its a great two seater.

So having had experience of driving both, I think the XF is a better cruising car on the motorway, it had slightly less road noise and feels more planted - the XE is more fun to drive on country roads - now some of this could be based on the fact that the XF is a portfolio with standard suspension vs the XE with R-Sport suspension.

When it comes to replace the XF I will probably get something cheaper and keep the XE as the fun car.
MY 2019 Jaguar XE Landmark 25T - Santorini Black, Sunroof, 10 way electric seats, folding mirrors and split fold seats.
MY 2018 Jaguar XF Portfolio 20D Auto - Narvik Black, Tan interior, ventilated front seats, heated steering wheel (company car)

Mikeyjd

Post by Mikeyjd » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:34 pm

I had an XF on loan for a couple of days. From the drivers seat they are pretty much identical. Just a bit more room in back. I thought about both cars before I settled for the XE. All reviews say the XE handles better. Unless you need the extra space in the back, go with the XE. Oh, and its a tad easier to park :-)
2018MY R Sport. 240bhp AWD. - Meridian, Black pack, Parking pack, plus loads of extras.

martind511

Post by martind511 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:50 pm

Mikeyjd wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:34 pm
I had an XF on loan for a couple of days. From the drivers seat they are pretty much identical. Just a bit more room in back. I thought about both cars before I settled for the XE. All reviews say the XE handles better. Unless you need the extra space in the back, go with the XE. Oh, and its a tad easier to park :-)
Indeed - the XF is longer (just) than a Mondeo estate and a bugger to park in small spaces.
MY 2019 Jaguar XE Landmark 25T - Santorini Black, Sunroof, 10 way electric seats, folding mirrors and split fold seats.
MY 2018 Jaguar XF Portfolio 20D Auto - Narvik Black, Tan interior, ventilated front seats, heated steering wheel (company car)

ahostmadsen

Post by ahostmadsen » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:06 pm

I can see there is certainly opinions in favor of the XE, perhaps not surprising since it's an XE board!

I think a main thing is that XE and XF are very similar, except for size. When I look at Mercedes E-class vs C-class, they seem quite different cars. For example, the interior design is completely different, although of course sharing pieces. But the XE and XF seem to have nearly the same interior (just judging from pictures). Perhaps Jaguar did too good a job in making the XE!

Here in the US, I could get an XE S for the same price as an 30T XF, and the XE S seems a more fun car to drive.

Gojira

Post by Gojira » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:07 pm

I'm pretty sure I'll be going for the XE rather than the XF...

I rarely have rear seat passengers, and the two most likely (my parents) are both noticably shorter than us!

But the biggest problem with the XF is that specced as I want, it would cost me more than our house did, back in 2000 :lol:

I can convince SWMBO about an XE that is just less than the house was, but the XF is a teeny bit too expensive!
Waiting to retire, so I can buy a Portfolio 250, with all the toys I can sneak past SWMBO :lol:

Kev259

Post by Kev259 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:11 pm

I 'downsized' from an XF Sportbrake to the XE. The XF had more space - especially in the rear - but the XE car drives and handles better. The XF was more of a grand tourer as opposed to the XE which I think is an excellent drivers car
STORM Grey R Sport AWD, Black Pack, Cold Climate Pack, Parking Pack, Electric seats, In Control Pro, Meridian Sound system, 19" Black Propellers, ADSR, Privacy Glass, Illuminated treadplates, Spare wheel

ahostmadsen

Post by ahostmadsen » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:24 pm

Kev259 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:11 pm
I 'downsized' from an XF Sportbrake to the XE. The XF had more space - especially in the rear - but the XE car drives and handles better. The XF was more of a grand tourer as opposed to the XE which I think is an excellent drivers car
That is exactly what I like in the XE: it is such a delight to drive, a true driver's car. I would have thought Jaguar had gotten the same feeling in the XF (I did not test drive), but perhaps not?

Return to “Main Jaguar XE chat”